Quantcast

in need of a new shock

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
so i completely blew my shock out the other day (oil squirtin all down the legs and whatnot) and i'm now posed with the question of what shock to replace it with. the bike is a 2002 bighit, and i weigh about 145lbs. i've been told to go with some nice progressive piece, but i've never ridden any progressive suspension before. plus it's mad pricey. so any advice in this situation would be wonderful.

J

JRB

I would look for a used Vanilla RC.

You may not see me nekkid.

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
i tried that. the rebound kick was a bit strong and underdampened. i think got some mild whiplash...and oh yea, i went blind

J

JRB

Yeah - why not??? if it is priced right, you can even spend another $200 and send it to push and have it tuned for your specs. It will be better than new.

J

JRB

Actually - unless the frame broke, there isn't much that can go wrong with a shock other than seals. There will be extreme circumstances, but I would buy a used shock before I would buy used brakes. Hell - I just bought a Vanilla RL that had been pushed for about my weight for a Heckler. My bike is a single pivot, and this shock is brilliant on my bike.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
gsweet said:
so i completely blew my shock out the other day (oil squirtin all down the legs and whatnot) and i'm now posed with the question of what shock to replace it with. the bike is a 2002 bighit, and i weigh about 145lbs. i've been told to go with some nice progressive piece, but i've never ridden any progressive suspension before. plus it's mad pricey. so any advice in this situation would be wonderful.
Well...Considering the age of the frame, unless you're planning on getting your next bike with the same i2i and stroke, get a used RC and send it to Push. It will be cheaper than getting a brand new progressive shock, plus, with getting it Push'd, you'll be singin' a brand new tune about RC's. I luv mine.