Quantcast

In need of new tires

NotQuiteJdm

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Maryland
I'm tired of getting flats with my tight ass stock specialized rollers plus they are way too knobby for street, what tires are you "urban" riders "pushin"? What other choices are there besides the Maxxis joints?

HOLLA!:o:

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
well besides maxxis hookworms, you may want to look at kenda k-rads, halo twin rails, DMR Motos, and Arrow Launch.
all are basically semi-slicks, good street tires, anywhere form a 2.2" to a 2.5" and they all come in 24 or 26". and theyre all availible from almost any bike shop (through QBP or BTI)

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
I think Corey is running k-rads, I've got a hookworm on back myself. I'd have one in front too if my crap fork could fit it, but alas.

If you don't want to go the maxxis route, look at k-rads, I beleive they come in 1.9 and 2.35, and shouldn't be too expensive.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
very much inexpensive, will probly run you like $15 per end at a LBS with the normal LBS mark ups...
like he said, a 1.9 and 2.35...pretty light compared ot those heavy hookworms, decent tread pattern on them, but the side walls are almost paper thin, wouldnt recommend them if you like running low tire pressure.

NotQuiteJdm

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Maryland
HAHA i glad someone found humor in that!

I think im gonna run a hookworm in the back and a Krad in the front since im having alot of problems with pinch flats.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
I was thinking about k-rad/hook also because of size constraints. The buzz up front and lack of turning on pavement gets annoying after a while.

NotQuiteJdm

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Maryland
Originally posted by Superdeft
I think Corey is running k-rads, I've got a hookworm on back myself. I'd have one in front too if my crap fork could fit it, but alas.

If you don't want to go the maxxis route, look at k-rads, I beleive they come in 1.9 and 2.35, and shouldn't be too expensive.
I do alot of drops and night riding, how does the hookworms handle landing on dirt and wet grass at awkward angles?...that is if you have had any experience with that sort of stuff.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
You probably won't have the best results with a hookworm in those conditions, but overall the benefits outweigh this specific case. I'd say you wouldn't have problems with damp grass landings assuming you're less than 20º off camber, but don't quote me on that.

Edit: also i think the sliperyness of the tire makes some things easier (for example if you dab, the bike slides along in any direction without your weight on it) which really makes getting the bike back under you quick in sticky situations.