Quantcast

In Orlando, where to go?

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
I will be in Orlando for 3 days attending a conference for work. On one of the days they have offered us a paid trip with shuttle service to ONE of the following destinations:

-Florida Aquarium
-Kennedy Space Center
-SeaWorld
-Universal Studios
-Islands of Adventure
-Disney-MGM Studios
-Epcot
-Magic Kingdom
-Animal Kingdom

I am leaning more towards Animal Kingdom/Aquarium/Seaworld because I think it would be cool to see animals I usually don't get to see in the Washington DC area.

I like amusement parks but I will be there with a bunch of old farts from work (won't really know anyone) and half the fun of those is going with friends. Not really into the whole special effects, movie studio thing.

Any of you ever been to these? Any input would be appreciated.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I've been to most of those. Wife and I love thrill rides, so I'd recommend Islands of Adventure first. That park is not really movie studio themed, it's more cartoon themed. I do dig the whole movie studio thing, so MGM and Universal Studios would be my 2nd choices. Both of those parks are very movie-oriented.

Disney's Animal Kingdom is not exactly a zoo. The only animals you will see are on the safari ride. If you don't go on that ride, you won't see any animals.

Seaworld and the Seaquarium are both cool places, but Seaworld is much better IMO.

EDIT: When are you going to be down there? If you're there during a school vacation week, expect long lines for all the rides.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Having grown up in FL, and vacationing there virtually every summer, I have done them all and they all have their pros and cons. If you aren't into the whole movie studio thing, skip Universal & MGM as most of the rides/shows/attractions are special effects. Islands of Adventure has some awesome rides but again, they're hella fun with a group of friends. Magic Kingdom is fun, but lines will be long and it's mostly rides. Epcot has great food and a lot of educational attractions.

If you're into seeing the animals then definitely go to SeaWorld, Animal Kingdom or the Aquarium. Animal Kingdom has a nice open-air safari ride and if you time it right you get to see tons of animals (generally early morning or late afternoon/evening if I remember correctly). Sea World has the shark tunnel, which is totally awesome, and a lot of other amazing sea animals and a few good rides. The Aquarium is cool too and I think you can do a “dive with the sharks” which sounds awesome, but I don’t believe that’s included in the entrance fee.

Whatever you do, I am sure it will be fun.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Yep, go to Islands of Adventure. Its top notch all the way around.
As far as not being into special effects crap, you should try Universal Studios.
It is absolutely awesome as a theme park. They have a new roller coaster called the Mummy. Its inside, and combines a roller coaster with all their other fire/water/etc.. special effects stuff. Everytime we rode it, they were people clapping when it was over. It was that good.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Early this year my company had a sales meeting in Orlando. They rented out all of adventure island for a night. 99% of the people I work with are balancing on the edge of cardiac arrest so hardly anyone rode the rides. I went on each of them about 3 times in a row in less than an hour. That and an open bar made for a seriously spinning stomach.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Westy said:
Early this year my company had a sales meeting in Orlando. They rented out all of adventure island for a night. 99% of the people I work with are balancing on the edge of cardiac arrest so hardly anyone rode the rides. I went on each of them about 3 times in a row in less than an hour. That and an open bar made for a seriously spinning stomach.
The Hulk ride + night time + open bar + rain = one hell of a fun ride. :cool: (mbc and I were there for a private party a few years ago)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Westy said:
We got in when it was in "test production" so there were NO lines and managed to ride everything WAY too many times in a row. I remember running into the caves trying to get back on Fire & Ice for the 4th time and then stumbling off of the ride into the Black Oak Tavern :thumb: Good times!

TreeSaw said:
We got in when it was in "test production" so there were NO lines and managed to ride everything WAY too many times in a row. I remember running into the caves trying to get back on Fire & Ice for the 4th time and then stumbling off of the ride into the Black Oak Tavern :thumb: Good times!
seriously! The distance from the entrance to the train is so far, that it takes longer to walk there than it does to ride the coasters!

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
dh girlie said:
Oh man...Epcot was cool as all hell...they don't have many rides...but the couple they do have are great...one they even provide puke bags on the ride! :thumb:
A lot of people rag on Epcot because of the nerd factor, but I love Epcot! Lots of great places to eat, and I enjoy walking around the different countries.

Puke bags are on Mission Space. That ride ended just in time for me. I could not have handled 10 more seconds. :dead:

BillT

Monkey
If you want roller coasters, go to Islands of Adventure and if you are by yourself or don't care about who you are sitting next to, you can do the single rider line and only have to wait maybe 5 minutes for each ride. EPCOT is great and probably my favorite overall park to go to. Animal Kingdom is nice for seeing animals and since the weather hasn't gotten too hot yet, they should all be out and active and not sleeping in the shade. Unless you are a space nut, I would skip Kennedy Space Center.

If you need any suggestions on restaurants or places to go at night, let me know.