Quantcast

In over my head?

J

JRB

ito said:
Hourly rate at our shop is $60. This is actually below average in Silicon Valley.

Bike builders at our shop make $10 for a production out of the bike build.

When I say $250 for a frame up build I'm including a lot more than just the labor. First off we offer a minor tune-up free for the first year the bike is in service. On bikes we sell that is a lifetime mini tune-up. We also make sure the bike is fitted to you before we let it out the door. For a road bike fitting that can take up to an hour depending on the customer. If there are any problems with the bike due to the mechanic's error then we will take care of it free of charge (this often covers rider error as well for the first month or so). Finally when someone has a frame and wants to build up parts we will walk them through the purchasing of each part and give them advice on components choices. Obviously we don't do all of this on every bike, but it is all covered under the same charge.

Likewise we do charge according to level of bike. A kid's bike is going to cost less to build up than a $5k road bike. We also don't let the kid we hired last week build up your Campy Record spec'ed road bike

So does that sound completely unreasonable?

Also, the $40 you charge a shop to build up a bike from the frame up, how much do they charge the customer?

The Ito

P.S. If this is considered "advertising" I'll delete it, just let me know. I won't mention the shop name however.

I just trade for parts for the most part, so I would assume it's $40 - $50 to the customer. I think $250 is unreasonable. While I know you include a lot, for here that is unreasonable. I can't imagine it costing more than $125 - $150 any where around here. I am a bit biased about it being unreasonable, as I know what it entails. That's a lot of money, no matter how you slice it. I'm not saying it's not worth it there, as I honestly don't know, or that you guys aren't exceptional, as you most likely are. I am saying I could never justify that expense.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
loco said:
I'm not saying it's not worth it there, as I honestly don't know, or that you guys aren't exceptional, as you most likely are. I am saying I could never justify that expense.
I couldn't justify it either, that's why I learned how to work on my own bike :)

Fortunately there are plenty of people around here who can justify it.

The Ito

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
ito said:
Hourly rate at our shop is $60. This is actually below average in Silicon Valley.

Bike builders at our shop make $10 for a production out of the bike build.

When I say $250 for a frame up build I'm including a lot more than just the labor. First off we offer a minor tune-up free for the first year the bike is in service. On bikes we sell that is a lifetime mini tune-up. We also make sure the bike is fitted to you before we let it out the door. For a road bike fitting that can take up to an hour depending on the customer. If there are any problems with the bike due to the mechanic's error then we will take care of it free of charge (this often covers rider error as well for the first month or so). Finally when someone has a frame and wants to build up parts we will walk them through the purchasing of each part and give them advice on components choices. Obviously we don't do all of this on every bike, but it is all covered under the same charge.

Likewise we do charge according to level of bike. A kid's bike is going to cost less to build up than a $5k road bike. We also don't let the kid we hired last week build up your Campy Record spec'ed road bike

So does that sound completely unreasonable?

Also, the $40 you charge a shop to build up a bike from the frame up, how much do they charge the customer?

The Ito

P.S. If this is considered "advertising" I'll delete it, just let me know. I won't mention the shop name however.
Well I think your pricing is a little high, but it is what the market will bear. In the road-crazy Silicon Valley, obviously people are willing to pay these kinds of prices.

My shop in "Peasant Hill" could not get away with that kind of pricing.

Frankly, it sounds like 3 hours of work for $80 an hour. Not too bad.