Quantcast

In search of free CD copying software

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'd like to copy some of my CDs onto my hard drive and I'm looking for some good free shareware/software to do it with - got any recommendations for me?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
to pull off the tracks as mp3 files so I can just play the CDs from my hard drive
so I can keep the actually CD in my vehicle, but still have access to the tunes on my PC which has nice Cambridge soundworks speakers hooked up to it.

ridecruz888

Chimp
Feb 8, 2005
uhhh musicmatch jukebox i know has it so you can copy the songs off your cd onto your harddrive and burn from there and its free

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
The best free ripper/encoder that I've found is CDex. http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/ It uses the LAME encoding engine which is the best encoder around. CDex is fairly straight forward to use and once you get it setup, all you do is pop in a CD, connect to CDDB to get the track info then click on the button to rip to a compressed file. I would recommend that you don't drop below a sample rate of 160 kbit. Your file size will be smaller, but sound quality start suffering too much. Here is a good article on encoding music: Article on Ars Technica PM me if you want more info. I'll try to help out.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
mark, check out the tenchiro forum (near political). we've talked at length about the use of Exact Audio Copier (EAC) and Lame Ain't an MP3 Encoder (LAME).

they are freeware, proven to work well, and there is more information than you could ever hope to process at the forums on www.hydrogenaudio.com

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Echo said:
Doesn't Windoze XP's version of Media Player do that natively without any software?

Yep found out that it does Echo - just not all that user friendly. I did use it to rip Dookie onto my hard drive last night though. :dancing: