Quantcast

In search of Stratos El Jefe Ti spring

Brunettes

Monkey
Jul 27, 2005
East Coast
Deciding that I'll probably keep my current frame for one more season I'm looking to lighten it up. I can't seem to find A Ti spring for my Stratos El Jefe anywhere, I've emailed Stratos directly and they said they don't have any for that shock but yet its listed on their site. contacted Go-Ride but they don't stock Stratos stuff anymore..bleh. I know there are some out there because I've seen them on here

Maybe an Avy will fit, if anyone has the inside scoop on this situation please let me know ;)

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
When I had my Stratos El Jefe, I managed to fit an Avy spring on it. Here are a couple things to consider:

A) Say you have a 2.75" stroke Jefe and take the 2.75" Ti spring from Avy. It might not necessarily fit. Choose the right free-length that will fit the El Jefe with having enough room to be able to unscrew the upper spring retainer collar. I heard Craig at Avalanche runs his springs a little long.

B) The Ti spring 'should' fit over the body of the El Jefe shock although it'll be close but still safe to run. What will probably happen is you'll have to dremel out the inner-diameter of the first coil at each end of the spring. This is because overall, the El JEfe is bigger than the Avy DHS.

The thing is, I think Ti springs are thicker than steel springs. I'm not sure. If that's the case, it might not fit at all since my steel Avy spring was just big enough to fit.

A Ti spring for a Curnutt shock might fit too

Brunettes

Monkey
Jul 27, 2005
East Coast
You can't buy from RCS direct and there isn't really many people out there that want to rock El Jefe Ti springs so if they were made they were in a small or large batch and that was it for awhile.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
im pretty sure u can buy from rcs directly my buddy did i think...my friend has a ti spring on his el jefe but i think he got it from stratos

2phass

Chimp
Jul 20, 2002
I am in the same boat, looking for a Ti spring for my el jefe.

Stratos one time had springs made from rcs but I think biggest they had in stock were 450#.

As was mentioned the avy should fit providing the free length is correct and you do a bit of dremel work.

I contacted rcs by phone a awhile back and they said the same about using the avy as they no long produce springs to the stratos spec. -stratos 1.55" I.D. , avy 1.5 " I.D.

I am looking for a 550# 5.9" free length and 2.75 stroke.?

Brunettes

Monkey
Jul 27, 2005
East Coast
Ugh.. that sucks, looks like I'll get get a DHX or keep my current for one more season, no reason to shell out the amount Avy wants for a spring (or anything for that matter)

thanks for the help!