Quantcast

In the market for a new all mountain bike...suggestions?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
So, I have myself a Gary Fisher cake 2 deluxe with basically a custom build, and I am just not that happy with it. It just doesn't feel right. This upcoming spring/summer/fall I plan on riding a whole lot more, and I am starting a search for a new bike. I am not looking for it for any type of racing, just something I can take to the trails and will feel mildly like a big bike, because that is what I am most comfortable on. I'm looking for ease of pedaling up hills, because I suck at that, and tearing up the decents. Basically a bike that if I take into the mountains, once I get myself physically up to it, I can ride up, turn around and blast back down.

I am really diggin on the Rocky Mountain Slayer, I have an RMX and love it as a big bike, and I like everything Rocky makes, but I haven't had a lot of time on one, and have never had any time on one that is the right size.

Another that I have looked at is the Specialized Enduro. If I went that route, I'd probably ditch their dual crown fork for a Fox 36 or something.

Any other suggestions? I'm about 6'3, 34" inseam, 200 lbs, and not the smoothest rider around

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I really like my '05 Cannondale Prophet 1000. I plan on buying a new one next year when it comes back with a Lefty.
I have the exact same bike. I definitely recommend it to anyone looking into all mountain frames. It builds up pretty light, has a good amount of travel and a nice ride. Probably the thing I like most about it is the slack head angle. You can set it to 69 or 67.5 degrees. In the slack mode, it descends great and I don't have problems keeping the front wheel down on climbs either. Just a really fun ride.

I'm not as big a fan of the Lefty, though. Worked on it and never got it to feel how I wanted. I just bought a used Fox Float for next season, which comes stock on a bunch of the Prophets anyway.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
The lefty did feel decent most of the time. I just had random issues that I didn't feel like dealing with. I like things a little simpler. I've had a TALAS and a Vanilla before and liked both, so the Float should be good enough for me.

Anyway, back on topic. Everyone I know who has the new Slayer is happy with it. I looked into it when I was looking at new frames. The SXC models look like a good compromise between climbing and descending ability with more emphasis (than the the Prophet, for example) on the downhills.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Trek finally has a great lineup this year. The new Fuel EX ride awesome and have great features - ABP, floating shock mount, and 1 piece rocker. The Remedy is the AM version with more travel/beef, slightly different geometry, and E2 head tube (1.5 bottom 1.125 top). Value for money and looks are decent too:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/mountain_full_suspension/remedy/remedy7/

I have a Remedy 8 on preorder [yeah it comes in rootbeer !!!111!!!] :D

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Trek finally has a great lineup this year. The new Fuel EX ride awesome and have great features - ABP, floating shock mount, and 1 piece rocker. The Remedy is the AM version with more travel/beef, slightly different geometry, and E2 head tube (1.5 bottom 1.125 top). Value for money and looks are decent too:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/mountain_full_suspension/remedy/remedy7/

I have a Remedy 8 on preorder [yeah it comes in rootbeer !!!111!!!] :D
Yeah, I know a bunch of people on Remedy's that love 'em. Thanks for the suggestion

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yeah, I know a bunch of people on Remedy's that love 'em. Thanks for the suggestion
Nobody has ridden the completely redesigned version yet other than the magazines.

The only one in the line with the new ABP design that is available is the Fuel EX right now - its been out since late summer 07. The new Remedy should be out in a month or two.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
In addition to the prophet, I would also recommend the Yeti 575 as a great "all mountain" bike. My husband has one and I have ridden them as well and it's definitely a fun bike to ride downhill and not so bad at pedaling up them either.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
ya might wanna look into a Moorewood Shova as well. mine is built with a PIKE with u-turn. wind it down for the climbs, pop it up to 140 for the bomb back down. bike pedals surprisingly well for a bike with 5.7 inches of travel.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Another vote for looking into the Morewood Shova ST frameset! They look nice, look to be well built, and may be even more affordable than a Santa Cruz or maybe even a Transition?

tacklespore

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Texas
Pivot Mach 5. RP 23 with Fox Talas RLC 32. Gives you 5 inches up front & 5.25 in the rear. Talas open at 140mm; I believe your head angle is 69 degrees. My build is around 27-28 lbs. It rides lighter. I love climbing and moderate occational drops. I don't ride around things. It climbs better than any DS I've been on or my hardtail. Chris Cocalis and Dave Weagle did a great job. Check them out

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Turner RFX (especially 07 and newer) can be built to just over 30lbs with a reasonable build. SC Nomad would be a good choice too.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm now looking at a slightly different idea, maybe sticking an air shock on a Rocky Mountain Switch, putting a Fox 36 on it and building it up light but beefy

badphish

Monkey
Feb 28, 2008
You might check out the Gary Fisher Fat Possum. 32 lb. all mountain bike with 6 inches of travel on air shocks. I picked up an 06 model in September and love it.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I just picked up a Giant Trance X (5"). With a modest build kit(XT), I've got mine right around 30#. It really 'feels' lighter than that though. The maestro suspension is definitely worth taking a look at.

Loco has a Reign, but he says the weight is a bit much.