Quantcast

In Utah: Canyons Resort or Deer Valley on a DH Bike. Which one?

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Will be in Park City on the last leg of our family vacation so I really don't want to pedal up in elevation at that point.

Anyone with personal riding experience from both resorts? I've only been to Deer Valley for the old Norba race (NSC trail, I think) but nowhere else in the area or Park City/

I like rocks, drops, steep, natural and gnarly.

Thanks!
Oz
Ellsworth Fans Club President

ronnyg801

Chimp
May 27, 2009
If you like those things, deer valley: thieves forest, fire swamp, NCS trail (norba championship series)

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
From what you have said, DV for sure. Devo,pointy rocks, And NCS can all be accessed from the silver lake bus, if you feel like not buying a ticket. Their trails should keep you busy for a few days

Canyons is fun riding, but primarily berms and jumps

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
the canyons is for flow riding bro.

Flow riding.

http://www.utahoutside.com/2012/06/flow-riding-at-the-new-canyons-bike-park/

Here's what I do when I decide if somewhere that's mapped is worth riding.

canyons.jpg

DV has a bunch of that too, but look at 'thieves forest', 'TB', and most importantly 'NCS'.

http://cdn.deervalley.com/web/Content/pdf/planning/trail_maps/DVRSummerTrailMap.pdf

Even that 'tour de homes' mobbing through a neighborhood looks pretty good. Even if it's asphalt.

The decision is clear and I've never ridden at either place :D

Last edited:

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Woo, yea, I'm sticking with DV. I really intended to bring my trail bike so I could explore more (like Empire DH trail, etc) but f*ck, I'm going be so lazy and sore by the time I get to PC from Yellowstone and Jackson.
Plus I think pedalling uphill for fun is an acute illness. I might be allergic to it.

So I'm pressing the easy-lazy button, pay the resort and bring the DH bike so I can survive shitty line choices, squid everything and still look cool just because of the kickass DH bike I'm on in the process. That's important when some of the runs go under the chairlift. I will ride Tidal Wave atlest once.

I also need to read up and see if there's a free bus that would take me to the top of Canyons and poach Canyon's DH trail? Not really interested in any of the other trails in Canyon. We have them stuff here all pedicured and shit called Snow Summit at Big Bear Lake. Sigh..

I heard they're adding more "flow" all over Northstar, bru. Awesome!!!! #makebikeparksgreatagain

Thanks guys!! Can't wait......

Signed,
Clueless Color-coordinated Asian Downhiller
xoxo

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Even that 'tour de homes' mobbing through a neighborhood looks pretty good. Even if it's asphalt :D
95% sure tour de homes is the "old" NCS run. It's basically single track straight down a green ski run. Fun for a lap or two. I don't think it's ridden up hill much, but it is possible.

And to be sure, NCS alone is worth a Couple days of laps.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
:)

"That trail is rad, you literally don't have to brake for 7 straight minutes while dropping 3000 vert",

vs

"that trail is lame, you shed all your speed every couple hundred feet".

ronnyg801

Chimp
May 27, 2009
Orvin, there is no bus or shuttle to the top of the canyons dh run. There is a "fire" or "access" road. You could push up it but… yeah I wouldn't.