Quantcast

Inbred Scandium!? Thoughts on scandium v. steel in general?

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
So, I had a Inbred 29er on order and the dist. found out he did not have the stock he thought he did. He offered up the new scandium Inbred for a killer price as an apology. I had no idea on-one was doing a scandium version, and as a matter of fact I don't even see it on the site yet. Apparently it is brand new and this is the first shipment to hit the U.S.

So, do I take the scandium or hold our for the steel? I have never ridden a scandium frame and don't know much about it other than it is relatively light in weight. I love the feel of a good steel frame and still want some nice compliance and vibration dampening. This bike is replacing my 26" FS rig.

Thoughts, suggestions?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
For what it's worth I had a Karate Monkey and then an AL Niner EMD 9 and I actually preferred the feel of the EMD over the KM - so I suspect the Scandium One One will feel damned nice - and will be lighter to boot (if that matters).

With the Scandal - you might get very close to the feel of steel, with the light weight of AL - could be worth a shot if you are getting a great price as an apology of sorts. I would think if you didn't like it that the Scandal will hold it's value well too.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
A "scandium frame" is a little bit of a misnomer, since scandium is actually a very soft metal. These scandium frames are mostly aluminum with some scandium mixed in. Near as I can tell, the primary benefit from adding scandium to the mix is that it refines the aluminum grain allowing it to be less susceptible to cracking or fatiguing and adds some strength.. which, in turn, means you can build smaller diameter tubes, giving that extra ride compliance.

The reason it's important to keep this in mind, is because the presence of scandium in the alloy by itself doesn't do anything for the ride quality. Thus, the bike will only be more compliant if Inbred actually used smaller tubes when building the bike. They could have used thinner walled tubes, for instance, and made a lighter frame... that wasn't more compliant. Or they could have used the same size and thickness tubes, which would create a stronger frame and allow them to tout it as a "Scandium Frame" for the bling value, without having to do anything different in their manufacturing process - but again, it will not be more compliant than the equivalent aluminum frame.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If the price is right, I'd snag that Scandal.
I probably would, too.

mud'n'sweat, the only point I was making was that its simple existance as a scandium frame doesn't necessarily make it more compliant than an aluminum one. Not that Inbred might not have designed it properly or it might not be more compliant.

You could ask 'em for the diameters of the top tube and down tube and see how they compare with yours or some of your friends' aluminum bikes..