Quantcast

Increasing the travel of a 63mm SID fork

J

JRB

I am pretty sure that it has everything inside and you just have to move the plastic spacers. I will see what I can dig up. I know the Judys worked that way, so I kind of think the SIDs did too.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Yeah, I talked with SRAM today, and they said rebuild the fork and remove the black spacer which lowers the travel.

Why the F would any reduce the travel on a SID is beyond me. What does that 1 inch buy you? I am not sure it is even worth it to increase the travel...

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
What does the topcap of the right leg look like? Is there a knob there, or just a a cap? If it's just a cap, and the fork is electric blue, that means it's an '01 Sid race, and you cannont increase the travel without replacing the air internals with a newer dual-air assembly, and retrofitting either pure or MC internals to get a longer damper.

I love the '01 Sid Race. It's the lightest fork RS has ever produced. That's pretty much all you need for XC racing and riding, super light weight and a little flex and compression to dampen hits.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
sanjuro said:
Yeah, I talked with SRAM today, and they said rebuild the fork and remove the black spacer which lowers the travel.

Why the F would any reduce the travel on a SID is beyond me. What does that 1 inch buy you? I am not sure it is even worth it to increase the travel...
I have my Sid Race set at 63mm and run it pretty stiff. I use it for touring - it gives just enough to mellow out the fire roads when I am pulling my trailor. :)