Quantcast

Indefinite Detention and Torture for Enemy Combatants

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
it disturbs me when we're getting all wrapped up in looking out for those who filet our servicemen wide open, drag their entrails all over and put it out on the web for all to see.
never is there outrage over actions like that.

but let us waterboard somebody, and "oh my god we're such a villianous bunch"
spare me.

i don't get my info from all those websites out there.
i've talked with real people who actually been over there serving.
the stories i've heard have never made it to the airwaves.
and would never be posted on a huffington blog or other such site.
The only problem I have with this stuff is that it is basically the government who decides who an enemy combatant is. The government is constantly wrong and doing things for backhanded political reasons (not just refering to the current admin, both sides of the aisle are guilty), there is little doubt people can and will be detained who shouldn't be. I do not find that acceptable.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
it disturbs me when we're getting all wrapped up in looking out for those who filet our servicemen wide open, drag their entrails all over and put it out on the web for all to see.

spare me.
That is such unadulterated bull****. Of course people are outraged, but it's to be expected. After all (I'm going to type this in caps so you understand the point) THEY ARE THE GODDAMN BAD GUYS. WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE THE GOOD GUYS.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket

spare me.

I am highly outraged when people get beheaded, cut open, etc. That's not the point. I am similarly outraged when my own government, which is supposed to be the shining light on the hill, acts just like those other people that outraged me in the first sentence. I'm also outraged at the curtailing of our rights in the "land of the free."

Let's also point out that some of the people that we have waterboarded, incarcerated indefinitely, etc. have never done anything to a single American.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
i love it when folks get just viciously outraged at anyone who dares hold a different view on a subject.

quite a liitle world some of ya'll have made for yourselves.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
dhbuilder & renegade rick:

without giving away my very-hard-to-disguise point-of-view, it does come down to this: the outrage. there is no outrage about accidental drownings, or those in hospital who get a nasty infection & die, or other "accidental tragedies".

it's about the randomness someone could end your life without your consent. for both the left & the right, it's about differring priorities in their risk analysis. me, personally, i fly about once / year, so i don't mind the inconveniences that come with air travel. but if i flew every week, i would be railing against our "police state" & "heightened paranoia"

did you know each year 10X as many kids are killed through drowning in swimming pools than that of accidental discharge of a gun? but, the outrage follows the gun owners, not the pool owners.

just some non-partisan thoughts

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
i love it when folks get just viciously outraged at anyone who dares hold a different view on a subject.

Their is a difference between being outraged by someone elses opinion versus government policy.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Are you referring to yourself here? If so, quit trying to play the martyr card.

If you are referring to those who would sign the bill, then I think I have a right to be outraged. When our rights are curtailed by those who have sworn to uphold the Constitution and our rights, then I think we should all be outraged.

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin

spare me.

Those servicemen wouldn't even be there if it weren't for all the lies, but that is a different issue entirely.

It is obviously wrong to kill people and to defile their corpses. It does disgust me, but I am even more disgusted at those responsible for placing them in harms way.

Again, if someone did something wrong, CHARGE them. Use the EVIDENCE to convict them. But a tortured confession isn't worth the air it is cried out with.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA

You just got done telling me you're basically Uday Hussein without the commitment to follow through on things. I need moral lectures from you about as much as I need moral lectures on sexual purity from a child molesting priest...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
It is obviously wrong to kill people and to defile their corpses. It does disgust me, but I am even more disgusted at those responsible for placing them in harms way.
so, if killing & defiling disgusts you to the point of wanting harm to come to those who inflict said crimes (i'm assuming you'd like some sort of reciprocity), what shall i conclude about what you want done to the field marshalls, generals, & other advisors about troop levels?
Again, if someone did something wrong, CHARGE them. Use the EVIDENCE to convict them. But a tortured confession isn't worth the air it is cried out with.
i'm going to play the role of a bereaved family member who has just found out you (as president) cannot find iraqi citizens to testify against my family member's killers, or closed-circuit tv footage, or any forensic evidence, and therefore will not mete out any justice.

get packing.

RenegadeRick

without giving away my very-hard-to-disguise point-of-view, it does come down to this: the outrage. there is no outrage about accidental drownings, or those in hospital who get a nasty infection & die, or other "accidental tragedies".
Hospital acquired infections are preventable and outrageous as well. Funk, is it too damn much to wash your hands? If the fedgov spent a fraction of the funds they spent on terror on public health it would save 10 times the number of lives lost to terror. See:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol7no2/wenzel.htm

it's about the randomness someone could end your life without your consent. for both the left & the right, it's about differring priorities in their risk analysis. me, personally, i fly about once / year, so i don't mind the inconveniences that come with air travel. but if i flew every week, i would be railing against our "police state" & "heightened paranoia"
So it's all about you then? :rolleyes:
In Germany, the Nazis first came for the communists, and I did not speak up, because I was not a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak up, because I was not a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak up, because I was not a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I did not speak up, because I was not a Catholic. Then they came for me... and by that time, there was no one to speak up for anyone.
-- Martin Niemoeller, Pastor,
German Evangelical (Lutheran) Church
did you know each year 10X as many kids are killed through drowning in swimming pools than that of accidental discharge of a gun? but, the outrage follows the gun owners, not the pool owners.
And so obviously we should declare war on swimming pools. :rolleyes:
There are 2x the number of deaths from accidental discharge of guns as from terrorisim. Shouldn't we spend twice the amount of money on their prevention?

RenegadeRick

so, if killing & defiling disgusts you to the point of wanting harm to come to those who inflict said crimes (i'm assuming you'd like some sort of reciprocity), what shall i conclude about what you want done to the field marshalls, generals, & other advisors about troop levels?
I have no idea what you are talking about.

i'm going to play the role of a bereaved family member who has just found out you (as president) cannot find iraqi citizens to testify against my family member's killers, or closed-circuit tv footage, or any forensic evidence, and therefore will not mete out any justice.
Justice against who? Some random individual? If you don't know who is guilty, what we should just pick someone at random, torture them until they confess and then execute them? You aren't making any sense.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Hospital acquired infections are preventable and outrageous as well.
i'm very much aware of the recent news you cited, as i too read it recently. point is, the stuff that truly does affect our citizens is addressed with disproportionate (or even feigned) outrage. we suffer greatly on the mortality scorecard domestically, due mostly to our own negligence (putting aside for the moment domestic violence & gang-related shootings, which seem to get proportionate outrage).
So it's all about you then? :rolleyes:
that's what you took away from my anectdote? pity. my point about that, the hospital infections, drownings, etc. is that due to most people not being directly affected, most people don't give a rip. which is rather curious. why should the same people who have a very real chance of being injured or die on our highways be silent, while they are all-too-vocal on the "immorality" of our foreign policy?
There are 2x the number of deaths from accidental discharge of guns as from terrorisim. Shouldn't we spend twice the amount of money on their prevention?
pool & gun owners can do a lot more to prevent accidental deaths than an avg joe can do to prevent death by intentional terror (by its very nature, terrorism targets a great a group as possible, & happens without notice & without any equivalent "cpr" to fully restore order). if you see my posts as assailing your ideology, and not mulling it over, then your constant defensive posturing will be your achilles heel.

RenegadeRick

$tinkle:

You did notice my smiley, right. You know, the sarcastic one :rolleyes: ?

I think what you are saying is that we agree. The war on terror is a gross overreaction based on the real risk.

And driving is way too dangerous. The risk far exceeds the reward. The only time it is justified in my mind is when you are driving somewhere to ride your bike, or to go snowboarding. Otherwise, it should be prohibited entirely.

Our government would never do this, because it would destroy the economy. Besides :greedy:, is way more important than 39,189 dead (in 2005). http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I have no idea what you are talking about.
i can't make it any plainer; i'll just have to say i failed to get out my message & leave at that.
Justice against who? Some random individual? If you don't know who is guilty, what we should just pick someone at random, torture them until they confess and then execute them? You aren't making any sense.
false dilemma aside, i read your comments as couching terrorism as a criminal act, with all the protections of the law. this would be silly. i'll quickly admit to overreaching with our flawed policy of money-for-browns paid to northern alliance, or other convenient & temporary allies, but this does not negate the effectiveness (and necessity, i assert) for extra-judicial methods to detain jihadists.

i assume you also would not favor strike forces (or is it "death squads"?) to root out nests of terrorists, as they might be in sovereign nations. i take your comments to be that "rule of law" is the only way to go. serve these beasts summons to appear before a grand jury.

but, how would you go after a ring leader for an underage sex trade operation who was in a country w/out an extradition treaty? ...and a drug cartel head? ...and an international arms dealer?

i put all these at your feet for you to consider that the rule of law, while excellent in theory, has its limitations in practice.

i don't pretend to have the answers, we're just spit-ballin' here.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
i can't make it any plainer; i'll just have to say i failed to get out my message & leave at that.
I got your meaning. You are saying that if he supports violence against the terrorists then he should support violence even more against those that he holds in "more disgusting". You make a very large assumption that he wants harm in the form of violence to come to those individuals.
false dilemma aside,
Please read this so that you will stop using "False dilemma" incorrectly.

In your hypothetical situation, you presented a scenario where we had no evidence to figure out who did the criminal act and had to tell the victim's family so. RR's rather appropriate remark was to ask if we should detain anyone and torture that person until he "confesses." It's a valid point based on the rest of the discussion and justice would no more be served in that case than not finding the criminal(s) responsible. Actually, it would be even worse to just round up someone and torture them because it leads to an ever worsening circle of violence.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Please read this so that you will stop using "False dilemma" incorrectly.
it wasn't incorrectly used; but that's pretty rich coming from someone who dismissed my solid addressing of your willful ignorance of clinton's hypocrisy on that other thread.

off to taco-bell. party on, garth.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
it wasn't incorrectly used
Um, yes it was. He created no false dilemma. Nowhere did he say that there were only 2 choices. Just because your hypothetical question didn't rebut him as you hoped it would doesn't mean that he used incorrect logic. Of course, even if his logic is incorrect, it wasn't a false dilemma.
but that's pretty rich coming from someone who dismissed my solid addressing of your willful ignorance of clinton's hypocrisy on that other thread.
Wait, now it's "rich" that you used a red herring. Clinton's actions had nothing to do with the op-ed that I posted. You brought up Clinton's actions as some sort of rebuttal to the point that I brought up, yet you completely skirted the issue I brought up. That is a red herring. I called you out on it and now you are going to make snippy remarks? Grow up.

Edit: Further, if you have a problem with my calling you out on your red herring, address it there instead of sniping at me on another thread.

RenegadeRick

off to taco-bell.
I hope you enjoyed your crunchy, cheesy and melty stuff. Was it a crunchwrap? Maybe a 1/2 pound burrito?

After reading through the bickering, I now understand what you are saying here.

Yes, I am upset at those who lied to get our troops in harms way in Iraq instead of having them here in the US, defending our nation. But no, I am not interested in reciprocity. I just want the insanity to stop. :banghead:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke

spare me.

Would these be stories from the participants in the illegal invading force in an ex-sovereign nation? :brow:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Um, yes it was. He created no false dilemma. Nowhere did he say that there were only 2 choices. Just because your hypothetical question didn't rebut him as you hoped it would doesn't mean that he used incorrect logic. Of course, even if his logic is incorrect, it wasn't a false dilemma.
it started with RR's quote: "Again, if someone did something wrong, CHARGE them. Use the EVIDENCE to convict them. But a tortured confession isn't worth the air it is cried out with." (take note of the word "but" to see exactly 2 choices are offered. this sets up the dichotomy) to which i responded with the hypothetical of the lacking of evidence would result in no justice being meted out.

no evidence == no justice.
it is not possible to be any clearer.
Wait, now it's "rich" that you used a red herring. Clinton's actions had nothing to do with the op-ed that I posted. You brought up Clinton's actions as some sort of rebuttal to the point that I brought up, yet you completely skirted the issue I brought up. That is a red herring.
from the first paragraph in the op-ed (journalists use this to frame the issue)
Bill Clinton's eruption on "Fox News Sunday" last weekend over questions about his administration's handling of terrorism was a long time coming and has political implications that go beyond this fall's elections.
and this was penned a week after clinton gave these remarks on larry king live:
Look what President [Hugo] Chavez just said about President Bush. You know, we--and we try to teach our children to get over it. I mean, you've got kids. You know, one of the most important things you can teach a child is that not everything that happens to you will be nice. But you are in control of how you respond to everything that happens to you. You do not have to respond with violence or anger or hatred or bitterness or demeaning conduct, and you cannot be diminished by what someone else says about you.
so you see (if you so choose), this is a demonstration of the hypocrisy of clinton's deeds against his "sage" advice. it is not a red herring. it is precisely germaine to the topic. of course, that would only be obvious if you understood "germaine" & "topic" & "hypocrisy".
I called you out on it and now you are going to make snippy remarks? Grow up.
and i pwnd you. (see above)
man up.
Edit: Further, if you have a problem with my calling you out on your red herring, address it there instead of sniping at me on another thread.
i chose to let that one go (on the clinton thread) until you chose to show a similar logical fallacy here. 'tweren't a snipe. if you get your lycra in a wad over some make-believe monkey poster, you're going to fall apart soon.

you're showing the temperment of a roadie.

RenegadeRick

it started with RR's quote: "Again, if someone did something wrong, CHARGE them. Use the EVIDENCE to convict them. But a tortured confession isn't worth the air it is cried out with." (take note of the word "but" to see exactly 2 choices are offered. this sets up the dichotomy) to which i responded with the hypothetical of the lacking of evidence would result in no justice being meted out.

In that statement the "but" was not intended to delineate two choices. Rather it was a poor form of grammar (but not an incorrect one), using a conjunction to begin a sentence. http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=19961105. My use of "but" was intended to contrast a tortured confession against actual evidence. I did not intend to imply that there were no other options available.

Right on. And since a tortured confession does not equal evidence it logically follows that justice does not come from the same.

I like the use of your C/JAVA stye comparision operator (==) by the way. Like you said, it is not possible to be any clearer.
:cheers:

RenegadeRick

don't even know what it was - it all sucks, but i rode in today & mooched a ride; didn't have a choice.
You could have skipped lunch. You could have ___________ or ___________ instead. Your choices are endless. Do not attempt to persuade me that you were forced to eat there. I won't buy it.

You did get to ride into work though and that is a big bonus.
I had to drive to work today; "didn't have a choice." :rolleyes:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I like the use of your C/JAVA stye comparision operator (==) by the way.
i could have used the php comparison op "===", which compares both primitive type and value, but that would have been pretentious.

:geek:

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket

I'll let RR's words stand on this. I got it from the context that it wasn't an either/or. How come you didn't?
from the first paragraph in the op-ed (journalists use this to frame the issue)and this was penned a week after clinton gave these remarks on larry king live:so you see (if you so choose), this is a demonstration of the hypocrisy of clinton's deeds against his "sage" advice. it is not a red herring. it is precisely germaine to the topic. of course, that would only be obvious if you understood "germaine" & "topic" & "hypocrisy".
Excuse me? One statement in the opening paragraph doesn't make for the thrust of the op-ed. If you read past the first paragraph you would notice that it was focused on the actions of the administration, and nowhere does it talk about Clinton's sage advice on keeping one's decorum. Either way, you still made a bad assumption that because I didn't answer your initial post that somehow I was being "willfully ignorant."
and i pwnd you. (see above)
man up.
Only in your dreams. Hey, when you learn some better reading comprehension you might have a chance.
i chose to let that one go (on the clinton thread) until you chose to show a similar logical fallacy here.
Yeah? And what logical fallacy was that? Twas you that was slinging the fallacies around as I showed.
'tweren't a snipe. if you get your lycra in a wad over some make-believe monkey poster, you're going to fall apart soon.
I was simply pointing out your lack of etiquette. I don't need to wad my lycra since I'm the one pointing out your logical fallacies.
you're showing the temperment of a roadie.
More bad assumptions accompanied with ad hominem remarks. That makes logical fallacy number....Oh there's too many to count now.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
We should have more threads that are just arguing about arguing. Anyone remember the original topic?

RenegadeRick

We should have more threads that are just arguing about arguing. Anyone remember the original topic?
It wasn't so many posts ago. Let me catch you up...

Congress has passed legislation that basically could lead to anyone being imprisoned and tortured, maybe even excecuted without any opportunity to challenge it or to view the evidence against you. I said it was wrong, but DHbuilder seemed to think that it was the finest legislation DC had ever crafted. MMike told us that water was more dangerous than terrorisim, and $tinkle explained that Taco Bell weighed heavy in the pit of his stomach and that arbitrary torture and executions would bring us justice.

Did I forget anything?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
WORLD WAR III IS COMING

President Bush and Rumsfeld are sitting in a bar. A guy walks in and asks the barman, "Isn't that Bush and Rumsfeld sitting over there?"

The bartender says, "Yep, that's them."

So the guy walks over and says, "Wow, this is a real honor! . What are you guys doing in here?"

Bush says, "We're planning WW III."

The guy says, "Really? What's going to happen?"

Bush says, "Well, we're going to kill 140 million Muslims and one blonde with big tits.

The guy exclaimed, "A blonde with big tits? Why kill a blonde with big tits?"

Rumsfeld turns to Bush and says, "See, I told you, no one gives a sh!t about 140 million Muslims".

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
WORLD WAR III IS COMING

President Bush and Rumsfeld are sitting in a bar. A guy walks in and asks the barman, "Isn't that Bush and Rumsfeld sitting over there?"

The bartender says, "Yep, that's them."

So the guy walks over and says, "Wow, this is a real honor! . What are you guys doing in here?"

Bush says, "We're planning WW III."

The guy says, "Really? What's going to happen?"

Bush says, "Well, we're going to kill 140 million Muslims and one blonde with big tits.

The guy exclaimed, "A blonde with big tits? Why kill a blonde with big tits?"

Rumsfeld turns to Bush and says, "See, I told you, no one gives a sh!t about 140 million Muslims".
Worthwhile posts by N8 = 1
Worthless posts by N8 = 100 million zillion kajillion