Quantcast

Independent Fabrication Deluxe two nine er

mudpie

Chimp
Aug 4, 2006
This will be my new SS 29er that will replace the jabberwocky, the cranks should be in monday night and the build will begin.
First step was to treat the seat tube and head tube with some frame saver as the other tubes are sealed.

second step:grease the phil ebb with extra lube to keep it quiet.

Third:just buld it already :lighten:

mudpie

Chimp
Aug 4, 2006
Nice color selection.

thank you, ever since I have been into the SS thing I have always wanted a metallic midnight blue, but have always had stock frames that did not have that selection, although I do like the short bus yellow on the jabberwocky but alas the midnight blue has arrived........

mudpie

Chimp
Aug 4, 2006
not much to choose from with the post 29.4, my first choice would have been an eriksen ti but have always been fine with the thomson stuff as I did not want to shim a post. I do think the brooks saddles provide a nice ride for hardtails so I am going with a ti swift for this build

Last edited:

mudpie

Chimp
Aug 4, 2006
Received a little package from Red barn bikes last night, it just happened to show up right after my wife asking how my credit card balance is now higher since we moved, anyway here are my phil wood goodies......

mudpie

Chimp
Aug 4, 2006
First time holding these babies in my hands, they appear very well made and look stunning to the eye:weee:

mudpie

Chimp
Aug 4, 2006
Going to be quite the blinging build I take it. Rigid or suspension fork?
rigid for now, I still have my on one carbon to use for the time being. Not trying to be to blingy but more solid and functional, at least that is the goal..

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
can someone explain to me the purpose of an ebb bottom bracket. i really don't understand what their purpose is or how exactly they work.

From Sheldon Brown's site:

Eccentric bottom brackets are sometimes used on single bikes too, especially because they permit adjustment of chain tension without moving the rear axle. This is useful if the bicycle is fitted with a rear disc brake or an internal-geared hub.

It also allows you to "effectively" change the bottom bracket height on a frame and also seat tube angle and also "effective" chainstay length (say for example you moved the bb so it is in the forward position). Like this example:

In that image the bb is in a forward position. You could also rotate it so that it was in the rearward position or closer to the chainstays.

The changes will be subtle, but they will change things a bit.

Does this help a bit?

Drevil

Chimp
Apr 11, 2004
can someone explain to me the purpose of an ebb bottom bracket. i really don't understand what their purpose is or how exactly they work.
I made this flash animation 5 years ago. Things haven't changed much since then :)

http://tuktok.com/ebb/

The one in my animation is a set screw style, like the IF in this thread. There are at least two other kinds of EBBs, but the concept is similar.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
i can see what your saying, but to me it doesn't make sense. chain tension makes sense, but the bottom bracket height doesn't actually change, the crank height does slightly just like moving it towards the rear would change things slightly. but for such subtle changes, why bother? i can see it usefull for a fixie with track dropouts to help with chain tension but thats about it.

mudpie

Chimp
Aug 4, 2006
i can see what your saying, but to me it doesn't make sense. chain tension makes sense, but the bottom bracket height doesn't actually change, the crank height does slightly just like moving it towards the rear would change things slightly. but for such subtle changes, why bother? i can see it usefull for a fixie with track dropouts to help with chain tension but thats about it.
For me, it comes down to design. I prefer the rear if dropouts and the ability to adjust BB height. I have used all bushnell bbs with good success this will be the first attempt with pinch bolt style, but feel confident with the phil wood bits...

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Beautiful... exactly what I would order for a frame!!

I am still a bit confused on why ENO cranks are popular or should I say why square taper, mine always gave me grief.

mudpie

Chimp
Aug 4, 2006
Beautiful... exactly what I would order for a frame!!

I am still a bit confused on why ENO cranks are popular or should I say why square taper, mine always gave me grief.
This is my first set of eno cranks, but I personally have had great success with square taper on my middleburns and rf turbines as well. I think proper set up is crucial with square taper and then just regular maintenence, at least thats my expierience.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
prolly b/c you didn't properly torque them you noob:busted:

seriously, that frame is fantastic. I'm not into big wheels but I think this is going to be a stellar lookin' ride!

RSutton1223

Chimp
Aug 22, 2007
Great...another one of your bikes that I can be jealous of....

Build is going to look incredible. I can't wait to see it in person.

mudpie

Chimp
Aug 4, 2006
I just need to install the starnut and feed the rear brake line through the guide and maybe need to put in a half link as the tension may not be tight enough

mudpie

Chimp
Aug 4, 2006
How's the fit using the brooks saddle? Not much room to move the Brooks around on those rails is there.

So far in just setting it up, it feels good. Well see once I get a longish ride in how it works, but yeah not much room on the rails.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Those are some mighty high volume tires. What PSI are you gonna run em at?

Would a setback Thomson help with the short Brooks rails issue do you think?

mudpie

Chimp
Aug 4, 2006
Those are some mighty high volume tires. What PSI are you gonna run em at?

Would a setback Thomson help with the short Brooks rails issue do you think?
30 psi and I dont think I will need the seat any farther back, it may go forward a little if anything...

ErrantGorgon

Chimp
Mar 12, 2008
Love it, I have a steel deluxe on order. My build will be pretty similar, with the F29, Ralphs, and even the Brooks saddle. One big dif, it will be a gearie, I'm not as pure as you. How long did you wait for your frame? I'll post pics when its built, maybe they can be friends.

Looks Great!!

mudpie

Chimp
Aug 4, 2006
Love it, I have a steel deluxe on order. My build will be pretty similar, with the F29, Ralphs, and even the Brooks saddle. One big dif, it will be a gearie, I'm not as pure as you. How long did you wait for your frame? I'll post pics when its built, maybe they can be friends.

Looks Great!!
Thanks, once the drawing was in it only took 3 weeks, I may have to put the smaller ralph 2.25 out back, I thought it rubbed once or twice lastnight. I will have to take the tire off and inpect today.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut

Looks Great!!
Hey - welcome to the Monkey! I recognize that user name from somewhere else. ;)

Keep this forum posted on your gearie IF as things get rolling and if they provide you with visual build updates etc. etc.

Cheers,

Mark

ErrantGorgon

Chimp
Mar 12, 2008
Hey - welcome to the Monkey! I recognize that user name from somewhere else. ;)

Keep this forum posted on your gearie IF as things get rolling and if they provide you with visual build updates etc. etc.

Cheers,

Mark
I will keep you posted. Afterall, its all I can think about. You know how it is.

Hey Mudpie, did IF ever give you visual updates etc...? I placed my order with Speed Goat almost 2 weeks ago. They have not charged my card yet which makes me think that the drawings are still being passed back and forth.

I wish I had a better idea of what is going on so that I can know when to put my current bike up for sale. Don't want to do it too early and be stuck without a bike. I asked Speed Goat a week ago what my ship time would be and they told me 5 weeks. I guess I should just give them the bennefit of the doubt.

mudpie

Chimp
Aug 4, 2006
I will keep you posted. Afterall, its all I can think about. You know how it is.

Hey Mudpie, did IF ever give you visual updates etc...? I placed my order with Speed Goat almost 2 weeks ago. They have not charged my card yet which makes me think that the drawings are still being passed back and forth. .
You should be contacted when the drawing is done and at that point they will ask for the deposit, then you will have afew weeks to unload your current bike....

D_Rock

Chimp
Mar 6, 2008
Looks good. I've been known to like a blue bike before.

You know the whole time I've known you, you pined to own another one. Now you have two!

Turner whore or IF whore?

:cheers:,
D.

RSutton1223

Chimp
Aug 22, 2007
nice lookin bike right there Steve! Let's see more of that beauty. :thumb:
Steve builds a great frame...a friend of ours rides a white on down here in Atlanta...I believe you have met him before Steve! :thumb:

Any more ride reports mp? I know you said it's a great ride after you Bent Creek break-in run when I talked it you....