Quantcast

India

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
So, like, mass murder in Mumbai.

I bet the CIA is behind it, right, RenegadeRick?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Probably face-deep in a bowl of chicken korma.

Or maybe these unknown assailants discovered his US passport and introduced him to the religion of peace.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
So, like, mass murder in Mumbai.

I bet the CIA is behind it, right, RenegadeRick?
We'll have to wait 25 years before that classified material is released and put in the Library of Congress for public view. Then, nobody will care as it will be 'too effin far back in the history to bother about'.

Killing Hope: U.S. Military and C.I.A. Interventions Since World War II-Updated Through 2003

http://www.amazon.com/Killing-Hope-C-I-Interventions-II-Updated/dp/1567512526

Editorial Reviews
Product Description
Is the United States a force for democracy? In this classic and unique volume that answers this question, William Blum serves up a forensic overview of U.S. foreign policy spanning sixty years. Remarks from the previous edition: "Far and away the best book on the topic."-Noam Chomsky "A valuable reference for anyone interested in the conduct of U.S. foreign policy."- Choice "I enjoyed it immensely."-Gore Vidal "The single most useful summary of CIA history."-John Stockwell "Each chapter I read makes me more and more angry."-Helen Caldicott "A very useful piece of work, daunting in scope, important."-Thomas Powers, author and Pulitzer Prize--winning journalist "A very valuable book. The research and organization are extremely impressive."-A.J. Langguth, author and former New York Times bureau chief For those who want the details on our most famous -actions (Chile, Cuba, Vietnam, to name a few), and for those who want to learn about our lesser-known efforts (France, China, Bolivia, Brazil, for example), this book provides a window on what our foreign policy goals really are. William Blum is the author of Rogue State: A Guide to the World's Only Superpower .
And a quote from the customer reviews:

After you read this you cannot help but put foreign policy as the main issue you care about in politics. Sure domestic issues are important, but what can that compare to us literally participating in the killing of thousands, and in some cases millions overseas? How can you even weigh domestic concerns compared to supporting torturing dictators for decades? The fact is our foreign policy is not that of the Nazi's, it differs in one very important way: we have gotten away with it for 50 years.
We ask our selves "how was it possible" when we think about the Third Reich, while not seing that we are now just as passive or even supportive of the Fourth Reich.

Time will tell about Mumbai, lets not forget those cases where we know, and not only suspect, where CIA is involved in atrocities.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I have yet to hear what type of terrorist these ones are???
ISI backed Islamics or tamils or maoists or militant hindus?????
Does anyone know?

*edit* ah here we go, from the BBC we have
A claim of responsibility has been made by a previously unknown group calling itself the Deccan Mujahideen.

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I have yet to hear what type of terrorist these ones are???
ISI backed Islamics or tamils or maoists or militant hindus?????
Does anyone know?

*edit* ah here we go, from the BBC we have
Apparently the name is just a reference to an area in India, and they are an al-quaeda affiliated cell.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
Apparently the name is just a reference to an area in India, and they are an al-quaeda affiliated cell.
I just heard that the attack style is similar to al-Qaeda, not that they were affiliated, where does it say that?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I just heard that the attack style is similar to al-Qaeda, not that they were affiliated, where does it say that?
Some counter-terrorism expert who was on BBC and CNN. No one has really heard of this new group, but they were saying they had dug up links to al-quaeda (probably through funding I'd assume).

On that note, it was NOT similiar to al-qaeda at all. They have never really taken hostages in the past according to multiple talking heads today. They usually relied on suicide bombers and remotely detonated explosives.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
On that note, it was NOT similiar to al-qaeda at all. They have never really taken hostages in the past according to multiple talking heads today. They usually relied on suicide bombers and remotely detonated explosives.
I think they were referring to the attacking civilians part of it, but it will be interesting to see if those guys if the Deccan Mujahideen are falsely claiming responsibility, or if they actually did it.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I think they were referring to the attacking civilians part of it, but it will be interesting to see if those guys if the Deccan Mujahideen are falsely claiming responsibility, or if they actually did it.
Ya, I was curious if they were the actual party responsible, patsies or just trying to steal the spotlight. No one else had come forward yet however, so all signs point to yes so far.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yeah, def. not AQ hallmarks here, but actually the easier and (sort of) more dangerous attack everyone's been dreading for a while now...

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Yeah, def. not AQ hallmarks here, but actually the easier and (sort of) more dangerous attack everyone's been dreading for a while now...
exactly. these are the types of attacks i can see happening here in our municpalities and schools; similar to Beslan. doesn't seem to be any super duper master plan, just a bunch of crazy's ready to die and cause as much grief/fear as possible.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
exactly. these are the types of attacks i can see happening here in our municpalities and schools; similar to Beslan. doesn't seem to be any super duper master plan, just a bunch of crazy's ready to die and cause as much grief/fear as possible.
I suppose. I think the trick is monitoring groups of foreign nationals, but I also hope there are no white supremacists practicing their dance moves in Montana...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, I hear the phrase, "India's 9-11" so much, I wonder when Giuliani is going to appear in Mumbai...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Maybe if the Indians would let the Arab's in India be part of Pakistan there would be less issues
Or you know, they could just leave and quit bitching?

Maybe the US should allow the liberal Vermonters to be part of Canada? After all they have more in common with Quebec than they do with Texas.

See how stupid this sounds now?

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Or you know, they could just leave and quit bitching?

Maybe the US should allow the liberal Vermonters to be part of Canada? After all they have more in common with Quebec than they do with Texas.

See how stupid this sounds now?
You also have to acknowledge the cultural differences and realize the connection many of these people have to their land. Many people live on land that has literally been in their family for 500+ years. Kashmir is next to Pakistan and, and the Pakistanis want it back. Have you considered that maybe the British screwed up on arbitrarily drawing boarders. Look at the great job us European peoples did dividing up Africa.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Arabs in India?

Or do you just think all Muslims are Arab?

Why am I bothering?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
You also have to acknowledge the cultural differences and realize the connection many of these people have to their land. Many people live on land that has literally been in their family for 500+ years. Kashmir is next to Pakistan and, and the Pakistanis want it back. Have you considered that maybe the British screwed up on arbitrarily drawing boarders. Look at the great job us European peoples did dividing up Africa.
Again, see my example.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Again, see my example.
You are comparing two totally different things and situations. You have to look at the Muslim's side, while there actions might be crazy you have to look at what is causing them to do this. their request sounds valid to me, just the way they are going about it is not. Although it's what is taking for us to even talk about their situation

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

Perspective is especially important to consider when dealing with international issues and cultures.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament

Hate to point out the blatantly fvcking obvious but Kashmir has NEVER been part of Pakistan.
People who live in Pakistan controlled Kashmir don't even have representation in the Pakistan parliament.

Kashmir was an independent nation state invaded by Pakistan who's rulers turned to India for help.
India has stopped the invasion and turned it into a stalemate situation with Pakistan (ISI) sponsoring various terrorist groups to operate in Kashmir (although they now tend to range over other parts of the subcontinent also).

So Pakistan has utterly no rights to Kashmir and never has.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
He clearly has no idea what he is babbling on about. Move along.
He's also a rabid supporter of Israel, right?

Not doling out any thoughts on Israel myself right now, but that does seem to clash with the opinions he's expressed here.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Hate to point out the blatantly fvcking obvious but Kashmir has NEVER been part of Pakistan.
People who live in Pakistan controlled Kashmir don't even have representation in the Pakistan parliament.

Kashmir was an independent nation state invaded by Pakistan who's rulers turned to India for help.
India has stopped the invasion and turned it into a stalemate situation with Pakistan (ISI) sponsoring various terrorist groups to operate in Kashmir (although they now tend to range over other parts of the subcontinent also).

So Pakistan has utterly no rights to Kashmir and never has.
You are simplifying over simplifying the situation and leaving out some key details, Kashmir was not an independent nation, they were left to decide weather or not they would be part of India and Pakistan. While the Pakistanis were not justified in invading there is still the fact that 3/4 of the population is still Muslim and wants to be part of Pakistan.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Technically Jammu and Kashmir was the "Princely State of Kashmir and Jammu" with a ruling monarch.
I simplified it as you seem to be struggling with basic things like "Facts". :clue:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
He's also a rabid supporter of Israel, right?

Not doling out any thoughts on Israel myself right now, but that does seem to clash with the opinions he's expressed here.
I don't defend Israel for the torture of suspected and known terrorists. I don't defend Israel in its occupation of the west bank. I do defend Israel's right to exist, and I do defend there right to totally close the boarder to the Gaza Strip. Israel has the right to close it's boarder to a country that is launching rockets into its boarders. there is also the fact that there is another country called Egypt that's on the other side of the Gaza Strip

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
You are simplifying over simplifying the situation and leaving out some key details, Kashmir was not an independent nation, they were left to decide weather or not they would be part of India and Pakistan. While the Pakistanis were not justified in invading there is still the fact that 3/4 of the population is still Muslim and wants to be part of Pakistan.
And Israel wasn't even a nation until 1948. Maybe we should just give it back to Palestine. The UN simply said hey guys! let's give this part of the country to the jews and create a new state! Palestinians are none too happy about it as I understand.

Again, see how retarded these ideas of yours are?

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
And Israel wasn't even a nation until 1948. Maybe we should just give it back to Palestine. The UN simply said hey guys! let's give this part of the country to the jews and create a new state! Palestinians are none too happy about it as I understand.

Again, see how retarded these ideas of yours are?
The UN gave the areas with more Arabs to Palestine, and the areas with more Jews to Israel. I am all for letting the Arab areas be Palestine and the Jewish areas being Israel. I am all for this thing called self determination, so I believe people in a certain area should be allowed to rule them selfs how they want, I just don't think that those areas should necessarily be arbitrary lines set up by imperial nations less than 100 years ago.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The UN gave the areas with more Arabs to Palestine, and the areas with more Jews to Israel. ...

... I just don't think that those areas should necessarily be arbitrary lines set up by imperial nations less than 100 years ago.
And you STILL don't get it. They arbitrarily gave parts of a sovereign nation to members of a religion to shut them up. This contradicts what you just said.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
And you STILL don't get it. They arbitrarily gave parts of a sovereign nation to members of a religion to shut them up. This contradicts what you just said.
Wait, Palestine was a sovereign nation?

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Not at all, there is nothing arbitrary about dividing countries up based on culture and or religion. It seems to make a hell of allot more sense than going by these arbitrary lines that some Europeans decided on thousands of miles away.