Quantcast

Indian Food Appreciation

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm cooking chicken Vindaloo for dinner. The whole house smells awesome.

That's all.

Jul 28, 2003
Eat, ME
Every time I mention vindaloo to an Indian colleague they politely snicker. Apparently, it's a dish just for us. Sorta like General Gao's chicken. Still really good, though

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Every time I mention vindaloo to an Indian colleague they politely snicker. Apparently, it's a dish just for us. Sorta like General Gao's chicken. Still really good, though
Interesting. I'm with you though, it's still delicious.

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
I fvcking love Indian food. Lots of it in Sydney?
Add a trip to the corner of Cleveland and Bourke Streets in Surry Hills (10mins by bus from UNSW and on the way to the City) to your wish list. I can think of about 5-6 excellent Indian places there over the space of a couple of blocks.

In particular Maya is cheap, authentic and fantastic. Its vegetarian but don't let that put you off. particularly recommend the Punjabi thali and save some room for their indian sweets afterwards. There is a meat version of the restaurant upstairs but its fairly mainstream and not nearly as authentic as the original downstairs one. http://www.mayavegetarian.com.au/

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
It came out pretty well for a new recipe. Needed to be hotter though. Next time.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Indian food absolutely rules. I was fortunate enough to have a friend - who was Indian - introduce me to proper Indian food. SO good. Last year for Christmas Liz got me an Indian food cookbook :drool: I make everything super hot too. I also finally got my naan perfected.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Indian food absolutely rules. I was fortunate enough to have a friend - who was Indian - introduce me to proper Indian food. SO good. Last year for Christmas Liz got me an Indian food cookbook :drool: I make everything super hot too. I also finally got my naan perfected.
I'd love a good naan recipe. Post up.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Kevin- he means dot on the head indian not feather. ;)

mmmmmm...indian....:drool:
I prefer northern indian to southern indian food.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I've only had true Indian food once. It was awesome though.
No one I know likes it, so trying to find a place to go that isn't super expensive is difficult.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
We have a few good indian places here in OC. Both great AYCE (All you can eat) to indian grocery places. My favorites are:

Chicken Makney (red butter sauce)
Saag Paneer (spinace with cheese)
Tika Masala (lamb or chicken but Lamb is better)
Samosa's (the "snack" item)
Gulab-Jamin (fried cheese balls in a simple syrup)

And of course all the pickles or pickled items such as the spicy pickled mango, Limes and carrots. :thumb:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
We have a few good indian places here in OC. Both great AYCE (All you can eat) to indian grocery places. My favorites are:

Chicken Makney (red butter sauce)
Saag Paneer (spinace with cheese)
Tika Masala (lamb or chicken but Lamb is better)
Samosa's (the "snack" item)
Gulab-Jamin (fried cheese balls in a simple syrup)

And of course all the pickles or pickled items such as the spicy pickled mango, Limes and carrots. :thumb:
If you're talking about SoCal OC, where? I spend a lot of time in Claremont and there's no good Indian there. Akbar in Pasadena is good but kinda expensive.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Our local Giant has started carrying a pretty good selection of Indian items. The Naan is not quite restaurant grade but pretty decent.

In terms of sauce, I usually prefer the pastes that need to be mixed with yogurt, and I'll spice them up with lemon juice, chilis, and honey to taste. Just marinate chicken in the sauce, dump it all in a pan with a quartered onion and bake for an hour at 350. So good.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
If you're talking about SoCal OC, where? I spend a lot of time in Claremont and there's no good Indian there. Akbar in Pasadena is good but kinda expensive.
Two places.. India Cook House on Culver and the 5 (irvine) and I forget the name of the 2nd but it is in Costa Mesa...

If you can get down to Lake Forest, Nina's on Rockfeild and El Toro is a market with a side "resturant" that rocks...:thumb:

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I was in Pakistan (Karachi) for 2 weeks. Im not a fan of either Indian or Paki food but the stuff we got from our host (obscenely rich guy) was pretty good.

Only problem is we couldnt enjoy it for more then an hour because it would come out as fast as it went in. :D