Quantcast

Indiana Jones

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Anyone else see it? My wife got tickets for the midnight show last night.

It was entertaining, except for a few really really dumb bits (the kid tarzan-swinging on vines sticks out like a thumb in the eye) and the fact that Cate Blanchett somehow managed to be the weakest member of the cast...and it's amazing that my wife and I thought the plot of this one was far-fetched and a little stilted, compared to, oh, say, finding the Ark of the Covenant and the Holy Grail.

It was, again, fun to watch, but nowhere near as satisfying as the first or third movies, and probably Temple of Doom as well. Covers well-trodden Indy ground and plot devices/forms (wrathful goal of search taking gory revenge on the evildoers who would exploit it, natch), but what else do you expect from Dr. Jones? (And they lay the "Hey, it's the 50s!" on just a little thick, too...add in a little McCarthyism analogies with attempts at resonance in the present...viola...)

Once it was over, you sort of had to laugh at some of it and at yourself for buying it. Certainly never going to grab the DVD.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Anyone else see it? My wife got tickets for the midnight show last night.

It was entertaining, except for a few really really dumb bits (the kid tarzan-swinging on vines sticks out like a thumb in the eye) and the fact that Cate Blanchett somehow managed to be the weakest member of the cast...and it's amazing that my wife and I thought the plot of this one was far-fetched and a little stilted, compared to, oh, say, finding the Ark of the Covenant and the Holy Grail.

It was, again, fun to watch, but nowhere near as satisfying as the first or third movies, and probably Temple of Doom as well. Covers well-trodden Indy ground and plot devices/forms (wrathful goal of search taking gory revenge on the evildoers who would exploit it, natch), but what else do you expect from Dr. Jones? (And they lay the "Hey, it's the 50s!" on just a little thick, too...add in a little McCarthyism analogies with attempts at resonance in the present...viola...)

Once it was over, you sort of had to laugh at some of it and at yourself for buying it. Certainly never going to grab the DVD.
might see it off netflix sometime next year

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The CGI ants were a little weak, too. Seemed like something out of 1996.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i'm not planning on going out and dumping money at the theater. i'll wait until it hits bittorrent and delay my (minimal) gratification.

that reminds me: blade runner final cut finished downloading. perhaps i'll watch it tonight :)

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
if they set the stage for shia lebouf to be the next indiana jones, i'm going to shoot someone.
I dunno, he's pretty cute. I'd venture to say Harrison Ford in the Indiana heyday cute. And whether you like it or not, that's the real reasons Indiana Jones ever really got popular.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Hey, you got out of the house! How's the family?
Ah Yes. We're doing pretty good now. We have a 'routine' that evolves slightly but certain parts of it are fixed. We got our evenings back for a start. Getting out the house for extended periods can be tough, but local Cinemas have 'Babies in Arms' sessions where it's kind of 'Families only' and you can expect a bit of crying. It's cool though.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
So is Shia Leboof his kid or what?

My kids band wrote a song called "Shia LeBoof stole my girlfriend"...its bad. Really bad. They are garagebandtastic...

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
It comes out in Morzine next week. Organising a group to go.
Movies are in English only every now and then...
Gutted I read this thread: I love the Indi trilogy and have been waiting impatiently for this new movie.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I dunno, he's pretty cute. I'd venture to say Harrison Ford in the Indiana heyday cute. And whether you like it or not, that's the real reasons Indiana Jones ever really got popular.
I suppose that's what keeps the 13 year old boys coming back for more...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
What Happens in Vegas would be agony to watch even if it somehow managed to be entertaining. Just having to be exposed to that sounds like being a Nazi when the Ark was opened.

IJ, however, was fun to watch, even if it wasn't the best flick ever made. It just sadly suffers from a sequel-itis, in a thoroughly contemporary fashion, that the previous sequels didn't. (Well, maybe Temple of Doom did, a little...)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
wow. you guys were obviously expecting a high brow action movie. FWIW the whole Indiana jones original concept was supposed to be a kind of campy take on saturday morning action series. Its supposed to be a little far fetched. No, I haven't seen it yet, but I'm going this afternoon after work is over and I get some lunch. I'll report back later and see if it changed my opinion.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
until humans can do cool stuff without it, nope.
Maybe now being older I'll go back and watch star wars and Indiana Jones to see what I think of the special effects now.

I think that it's more difficult for me to suspend my disbelief with CG and over the top fight scenes.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Maybe now being older I'll go back and watch star wars and Indiana Jones to see what I think of the special effects now.

I think that it's more difficult for me to suspend my disbelief with CG and over the top fight scenes.
I forgot the terminology, but there's a psych concept of humans accepting artificial intelligence. The idea is that people are really comfortable with robots and with AI androids that are so human, that you almost accept them as such.

The problem is when an android is still mechanical and noticeably fake, we get extremely uncomfortable with it.

And I think that's where we are with CG... when it's close to perfect, but obviously not, we can't accept it.

Did that make sense? Does anyone know the terminology for this?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I forgot the terminology, but there's a psych concept of humans accepting artificial intelligence. The idea is that people are really comfortable with robots and with AI androids that are so human, that you almost accept them as such.

The problem is when an android is still mechanical and noticeably fake, we get extremely uncomfortable with it.

And I think that's where we are with CG... when it's close to perfect, but obviously not, we can't accept it.

Boolean Theory

I know it's not right but I'm bored.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

uncanny valley

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
Apparently, some folks think it stinks for other reasons:

Russian Communist party members condemned the new Indiana Jones' film on Friday as crude anti-Soviet propaganda that distorted history and called for it to be banned from Russian screens.

"Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" stars Harrison Ford as an archeologist in 1957 competing with an evil KGB agent, played by Cate Blanchett, to find a skull endowed with mystic powers.

"What galls is how together with America we defeated Hitler, and how we sympathized when Bin Laden hit them. But they go ahead and scare kids with Communists. These people have no shame," said Viktor Perov, a Communist Party member in Russia's second city of St Petersburg.

The comments were made at a local Communist party meeting and posted on its Internet site www.kplo.ru.

The film, the fourth in the hugely successful Indiana Jones series, went on release in Russian cinemas on Thursday. Russian media said it was being shown on 808 screens, the widest ever release for a Hollywood movie.

In past episodes Indiana Jones has escaped from Nazi soldiers, an Egyptian snake pit, a Bedouin swordsman and a child-enslaving Indian demigod.

"Harrison Ford and Cate Blanchett (are) second-rate actors, serving as the running dogs of the CIA. We need to deprive these people of the right of entering the country," said another party member, Andrei Gindos.

Though the ranks of the once all-powerful Communist Party have dwindled since Soviet times, its members see themselves as the defenders of the achievements of the old Soviet Union.

Other communists said the generation born after the 1991 collapse of the Soviet Union were being fed revisionist, Hollywood history. They advocated banning the Indiana Jones outright to prevent "ideological sabotage."

"Our movie-goers are teenagers who are completely unaware of what happened in 1957," St Peterburg Communist Party chief Sergei Malinkovich told Reuters.

"They will go to the cinema and will be sure that in 1957 we made trouble for the United States and almost started a nuclear war."

"It's rubbish ... In 1957 the communists did not run with crystal skulls throughout the U.S. Why should we agree to that sort of lie and let the West trick our youth?"

Vladimir Mukhin, another member of the local Communist Party, said in comments posted on the Internet site that he would ask Russia's Culture Ministry to ban the film for its "anti-Soviet propaganda."

The Indiana Jones film is not the first Hollywood production to offend Russian sensibilities.

In 1998 the Russian parliament demanded the government explain why the Hollywood film "Armageddon" - which depicted a dilapidated Russian space station that blows apart because of a leaky pipe - was allowed onto Russian cinema screens.

A government official at the time said the film, starring Bruce Willis as the leader of a team of astronauts sent to deflect an asteroid on a collision course with Earth, "mocked the achievements of Soviet and Russian technology."