Quantcast

Indoor Air Coolers, are they Junk?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
It probably makes cold air and it probably makes water - that unit draws almost 1000 watts. It doesnt eat the heat though - I would imagine it dumps heat back into the space also?

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
They have one at work, it will cool a room okay, but you have a vent that blows really warm air you need to direct outside.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I used to have one. Less efficient than a window mount but it does the job. You will need to install the vent hose into a window so it is still kind of a window mount. As it only dumps hot air outside it will also suck warm air into the house, that is why it is less efficient. It may or may not have a condensation tank that will need to be dumped, either way I would keep an eye to make sure it doesn't leak water into the floor

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm using one right now, bought it at Costco as soon as I saw them offered (few months ago). I figure if it craps out...Costco, you know. So far pretty good, noisy, but bearable. It definitely does it's job. I have a temp sensor mounted in a different location and I can watch the temp go down. I don't have a lot of square feet though, so pay attention to what it says for the recommended sq feet. The only real downside is that I don't have a window that can work with the exhaust vent, my window opens totally different. I do have a sliding door. The other thing is that I wanted unit to be more central, not just cooling one area. So what I did was buy some large ABS drainpipe at home depot, gorilla-tape it to the unit and the normal exhaust pipe, then cut an 8 foot by 6" by 1" thick board to fit in my sliding glass doorway, sawed out a section for the exhaust bracket to fit in, then hooked the pipe up to that. So my exhaust pipe is about 13' or so, but I remember seeing business do this a few summers ago when it was crazy hot. Again, seems to work well. The biggest problem we have here is sun angle and time of sunlight, it just bakes buildings and they never cool down, so they'll all get saturated with heat and stay above 80 all the time during the heat spells, even when it falls to the 60s for a few hours when the sun gets low.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
They work fine for what they are and what they cost. Is a mini split out of the question? Spendy compared to portable or window units, slightly harder to install, but they’re super effective, more efficient than portables and don’t take up interior floor space.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I had one of those.
They work, there is a big vent (think dryer exhaust pipe) that need to vent outside (maybe thru a window) and you need to drain them every now and thd .

They do cool down a room, but are not very efficient and are very noisy (compared to a split a/c).
If you are doing to make a hole in the wall, better get a split unit, otherwise they are OK

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I’ve had an R2D2 unit for several years. It’s handy. It works. My apartment doesn’t have windows that allow for a window-mount style so this was my only option. My neighbor in the next unit didn’t like the one she tried. As long as it stays under 95 the one I have does a decent job for my living room. Once it gets closer to 100 nothing seems to help in my place.

I looked at the ductless ones. But the layout of my apartment made it a tricky install. The landlord was almost willing to pay for it but ended up getting crazy installation quotes.