Quantcast

Indoor Bike Park?

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
Okay, let me run an idea by you guys and let me know your pro's vs. the con's.

An indoor bike park, like an indoor practice track, dirt jumps, pump track, a little section for vert ramps, box jumps and such, and a foam pit, but mostly dirt stuff. Think of Ray's in Cleveland, but not nearly as big or complicated (yet), and more geared toward the dirt side of things.

I thought of this before and thought the better of it, but it's still eating at me. We just got a pretty decent indoor (adding an outdoor section next year) skatepark, that the city of Greenville supported. I'm pretty sure that the city would help and I already have been offered some help from a couple private investors. I know that Greenville isn't the Mecca for BMX, but there are 4 BMX tracks within 45 minutes and another 3 within 1.5 hours away, and a lot of MTBer's in the area. Atlanta is 2.5 hrs away, Charlotte, just over an hour, Asheville, just under an hour.

Yes, there are several things to work out and consider, insurance for one thing, but as least SC has a law that prevents such a facility from being sued since the participant knows the inherent danger of riding (this law was applied for skateparks and would cover a "bikepark").

I guess it comes down to the basic business law of supply and demand. I'm not worried about the actual "running the business" part, I'm pretty confident that my degree and experience in business would allow me to succeed, but no amount of education would allow a profitable business without "customers".

One of the concerns that I have is something that DNBLC mentioned to me before, and that is I don't want it to be a "Romper Room" or an after school "day care". I don't mind the teenagers, it's the little groms that parents think that they can just drop off for a few hours while they go shopping. I mean if you know how to ride on a BMX track, then you should be able to ride here, but this place isn't going to be for to get his/her feet wet for BMXing, DJing, MTBing, am I wrong here?

I just wanted to hear some thoughts or ideas from you guys. I am posting this on a couple different forums, BMX and MTB to try and get as many opinions, so if you frequent other forums, you may notice. And a few of you are getting this to your personal address.
Thanks for your input guys.

Cheers,
Brian

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
as you know, i don't cater to kids or newbies here either.
just make it to where if you're a minor, you have to have a legal guardian sign them in and remain on site.

that's the case up here.

i had some experience co-managing an indoor skateboard park in houston.
it didn't take long for moms to start using it for a childcare center.
then the owner re-wrote the rules to put a stop to that.

good luck brian.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I can't speak for anybody else, but if we had an indoor bike park in Greenville with dirt jumps and a fun pump track, I would be there everyday in the winter, and anytime its raining hard.:)

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Sounds like a good idea for an indoor park. I don't know if you know or not, I have been working will Greenville Parks and Rec. on a Jump park with a large pump track. This will be a free area outdoors to ride. The plan is to have 3 long lines of jumps from 2 feet high to 5 feet high for all levels of riders. The ball is rolling and they are going to let us do it. We have 3 area parks we are looking at now. We hope to break ground in a month’s time.

Maybe you can use this as a way to start up a Indoor Park. I know the No Name Skate Park has another 25,000 to 30,000 square feet to build in. It would be nice to see them build some box jumps that are more in line for bikes than skate boards. The street course they have built is more for skate boards and not bikes. It is still a fun place to ride though.

I am all for what you want to do. I would be glad to help out.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
I'm currently "working" one of the guys behind the bike part of it to use the little building for indoor bike stuff. DJ's, pump track, BMX style practice track, north shore stunts, etc....

Hell, if I can get someone else to do it, then I'm all for that. Let someone else flip for the bill, and we still would have a place to ride.

TCP21

Monkey
May 13, 2005
Greensboro, NC
i dont live in greenville but i went to Rays indoor mtb park and it was awesome. if you made one i would come down there and have some fun.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Jeremy R said:
I can't speak for anybody else, but if we had an indoor bike park in Greenville with dirt jumps and a fun pump track, I would be there everyday in the winter, and anytime its raining hard.:)
Like you're at Mickey's track everyday in the summer, and anytime it's not raining :rolleyes:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
The No Name Skate Park in Greenville opened last week. They had more bikers there the first day than skate boards. I stopped by yesterday to show the place to my wife. The plans are going forward to building the NBL track outside with in the next 4 months. The track will be open every day for practice. They have already started on the DJs out side. There is a large drop in to hit 4 different lines. Each line will be about 150 feet long. Very nice!!! The cool thing is they have a lot of lighting out side to hit the jumps all night long. I am trying to talk the owner into building more bike stunts and box jumps in the back warehouse. Plans right now are to build another street course. The place is still a lot of fun on a bike and when they have the DJ’s done and the NBL track it will be even better.