Quantcast

Induction cooktops

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I'm just curious because I'm now living in a penthouse [yay] in an older building [boo] that can't use gas [sob].

I guess I'll just have to use generic electric and hope for the best...
Well in your situation you'll have to make due. In our new house the cooktop was electric, I had to run a 3/4" gas line for the new range, I lucked out because we had a new furnace installed and moved into the attic, so the gas line need to be moved, at that point I installed a tee fitting and capped it off while I remodeled the kitchen. That allowed for the easy install of the new line.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Well in your situation you'll have to make due. In our new house the cooktop was electric, I had to run a 3/4" gas line for the new range, I lucked out because we had a new furnace installed and moved into the attic, so the gas line need to be moved, at that point I installed a tee fitting and capped it off while I remodeled the kitchen. That allowed for the easy install of the new line.
Well, now that we're on the top of a 24-story building and we have a patio [as well as a balcony] I'll likely set up a gas-grill out doors - a commercial cooktop as opposed to a 'haha barbecue' - that's gonna be wood-fired.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
I think that natural gas is often times found as a "by-product" of oil drilling, but out here in CO, I think they're drilling specifically for gas on the western slope, not oil.
Most of the time, natural gas is found 'on top' of larger oil deposits, if I remember rightly...

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
You are correct. Propane is found with oil while Nat Gas is found in its own seperate pockets...I do believe
Propane is a byproduct of the refining of natural gas and petroleum. It with butane is removed from natural gas to keep it from condensing in pipelines.

Natural gas and oil are made from the same processes just at different depths and temperatures. They are often found together as natural gas will rise from its source which is typically below oil sources. When they are found apart, they are still typically layered with a hard rock layer between the two.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Propane is a byproduct of the refining of natural gas and petroleum. It with butane is removed from natural gas to keep it from condensing in pipelines.

Natural gas and oil are made from the same processes just at different depths and temperatures. They are often found together as natural gas will rise from its source which is typically below oil sources. When they are found apart, they are still typically layered with a hard rock layer between the two.
Did you go to School of Mines? :cheers: