Quantcast

Industrial Hemp

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Cant you already buy hemp shoes and necklaces and friendship bracelets?

Im curious as to how this hemp differs from the illegal kind. Seriously.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by BurlySurly

thc.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I used to have a pair of hemp shorts that had a big warning printed on them about not smoking or eating them.

Hemp is a great material, too bad society is too paranoid to really embrace it. I remember seeing a news article that they were trying to outlaw it, because it was a "gateway product" and led people to smoke pot or some sh!t.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
I'm all for it. I think we should be using as much hemp as possible to offset the use of wood pulp for paper whenever possible.

Additionaly we should be using it in favor of cotton as much as we can too.

A much better use of land and natural rescources than cotton and trees. I think the per acre yield for hemp vs trees for wood pulp is something like 500 times greater for hemp vs. trees.

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Asheville, North Carolina
Having a background in composites engineering and having grown up on construction sits, I would love to have a part in developing hemp composites as an alternative building material.
Hemp fiber has a lot of the material properties that composites demand.
Composites products made from hemp fiber could be used as a direct replacement for solid wood and fiber board products at a fraction of the cost while offering greater quality, performance, and durability.

It's a shame that hemp based products compete directly with some powerful industries.

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Wait...it's not legal? The filler (between the two layers of cloth) of my fencing jacket says it is made of hemp....but it does'nt have any warnings on it or anything?

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Originally posted by LoboDelFuego
Wait...it's not legal? The filler (between the two layers of cloth) of my fencing jacket says it is made of hemp....but it does'nt have any warnings on it or anything?
Hemp material is legal.
Growing it isn't, and the US is missing out on a great resource.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC

You'd have to smoke a joint the size of a telephone pole and the only buzz you'd catch would be headache.

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by Sideways
Having a background in composites engineering and having grown up on construction sits, I would love to have a part in developing hemp composites as an alternative building material.
Hemp fiber has a lot of the material properties that composites demand.
Composites products made from hemp fiber could be used as a direct replacement for solid wood and fiber board products at a fraction of the cost while offering greater quality, performance, and durability.

It's a shame that hemp based products compete directly with some powerful industries.
From a farmers point of view........

Hemp grows fast, really fast. You could almost pull off three crops a year with the right weather.

It takes virtually nothing from the soil yet dumps valuable nitrogen in the ground (N is critical for a good corn crop). Used in rotation with corn and beans, you give your soil a break, put in nitrogen and........

Hemp is a deep rooting plant, which when it deteriorates, it leaves voids, which is the idea behind a deep field ripper. Field ripping takes MASSIVE amounts of fuel, about a gallon per acre. With a deep rooting plant, you eliminate the cost of ripping (and the pollution that goes along with it). This goes along with Sideways' idea that the oil companies would be the biggest loosers if hemp were legalized.

Most pests don't go after hemp, eliminating the use of pesticides. Because hemp grows fast, it towers over weeds and the like, robbing weeds of sunlight, eliminating the need for herbicides.

Take the numerous amounts of uses for hemp and the incentives for farmers.......why shouldn't we legalize hemp?

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood
From a farmers point of view........

Hemp grows fast, really fast. You could almost pull off three crops a year with the right weather.

It takes virtually nothing from the soil yet dumps valuable nitrogen in the ground (N is critical for a good corn crop). Used in rotation with corn and beans, you give your soil a break, put in nitrogen and........

Hemp is a deep rooting plant, which when it deteriorates, it leaves voids, which is the idea behind a deep field ripper. Field ripping takes MASSIVE amounts of fuel, about a gallon per acre. With a deep rooting plant, you eliminate the cost of ripping (and the pollution that goes along with it). This goes along with Sideways' idea that the oil companies would be the biggest loosers if hemp were legalized.

Most pests don't go after hemp, eliminating the use of pesticides. Because hemp grows fast, it towers over weeds and the like, robbing weeds of sunlight, eliminating the need for herbicides.

Take the numerous amounts of uses for hemp and the incentives for farmers.......why shouldn't we legalize hemp?
From a chemical company point of view:
Loss of pesticide sales, loss of fertilizer sales, reduced need for genetically engineered cotton seed.

From a foresting company point of view:
The cost of clear cutting national forests is not recoverable, as the competition from hemp makes foresting non-competitive.

From an oil company point of view:
Major revenue loss from all divisions.

From a beer company point of view:
Loss of sales to a less harmfull competeing product.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
From a chemical company point of view:
Loss of pesticide sales, loss of fertilizer sales, reduced need for genetically engineered cotton seed.

From a foresting company point of view:
The cost of clear cutting national forests is not recoverable, as the competition from hemp makes foresting non-competitive.

From an oil company point of view:
Major revenue loss from all divisions.

From a beer company point of view:
Loss of sales to a less harmfull competeing product.

From a common sense point of view:

While the by-products of hemp appear to be quite useful, it's easy to see through the thinly vailed aspirations of people who just want to get high with less of a hassle.

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002

While the by-products of hemp appear to be quite useful, it's easy to see through the thinly vailed aspirations of people who just want to get high with less of a hassle.
That’s a pretty short sighted comment. Unless you drop your prejudice to hemp, you probably won’t allow yourself to find about the material properties of hemp, nor the nutritional value of hemp seed oil.

It's the veil of anti-drug propaganda that the aforementioned competing industries hide behind.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
That’s a pretty short sighted comment. Unless you drop your prejudice to hemp, you probably won’t allow yourself to find about the material properties of hemp, nor the nutritional value of hemp seed oil.

It's the veil of anti-drug propaganda that the aforementioned competing industries hide behind.
Im sorry, perhaps you should re-read my last post.
I think i said it "appears useful" It may very well be useful, but that's obviously not what most pro-hemp people are concerned about.

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Im sorry, perhaps you should re-read my last post.
I think i said it "appears useful" It may very well be useful, but that's obviously not what most pro-hemp people are concerned about.
"appears useful" is a drastic understatement.

My stake in the matter is that I'm a composites engineer that doesn't care so much for the oil industry.
I don't smoke pot, and while I don't see anything wrong with those who do, I don't think generalizing supporters of hemp as such is good for the progress of the industry.

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA

... common sense has nothing to do with your point of view.

and thinly vailed (sic) aspirations????

ever heard of sustainable development? ever heard of the people (ie the big fat rich white man) making oodles of money damaging the environment? go ahead and have your economy... kill everybody and everything else in the mean time.

you make me laugh. :D <- see???

getting high has nothing to do with it BS. i'm sure you know that, but had to say it anyway to get another post. i smoke MJ not because of hemp, but for other reasons (if any).

i'll bet you'll start talking about wasted human potential or cancer or some other nonsense.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by slein
... common sense has nothing to do with your point of view.

and thinly vailed (sic) aspirations????

ever heard of sustainable development? ever heard of the people (ie the big fat rich white man) making oodles of money damaging the environment? go ahead and have your economy... kill everybody and everything else in the mean time.

you make me laugh. :D <- see???

getting high has nothing to do with it BS. i'm sure you know that, but had to say it anyway to get another post. i smoke MJ not because of hemp, but for other reasons (if any).

i'll bet you'll start talking about wasted human potential or cancer or some other nonsense.
Wow,

You seem to be on an anti-me mission tonight. I'm glad i make you laugh by the way. So what now? Im apparently on some mad spree of trying to gain posts, and thats why i said what i said? I could certainly say alot shorter and less meaningful things if that were the case to begin with, but why would i be trying to gain alot of posts anyway? Are they worth something? Can i sell them for money? What the christ are you talking about?

Oh, and i know you dont smoke pot because you support industrial hemp, its because you like to get high. Just like most of these other guys.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA

you like to get high. Just like most of these other guys.
Fair nough that most people learn about the qualities of hemp from pot-smoking friends and pot-legalization advocates, but it's pretty unfair to condemn facts because you have a mostly unrelated disagreement with the source.

Hemp and Marijauna are two different plants. I don't see anyone outlawing the prickly pear because of the peyote cactus. They look similar, but are not.

Ask your superiors about the qualities of Hemp. The US Armed forces were one of the primary consumers of hemp products before cotton lobbies took over.

We allow millions of housewives to grow poppies in their gardens every year and that's a plant that ACTUALLY produces an extremely dangerous drug, yet we outlaw a plant that is not only socially harmless but economically and environmentally beneficial.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by ohio
Fair nough that most people learn about the qualities of hemp from pot-smoking friends and pot-legalization advocates, but it's pretty unfair to condemn facts because you have a mostly unrelated disagreement with the source.

Hemp and Marijauna are two different plants. I don't see anyone outlawing the prickly pear because of the peyote cactus. They look similar, but are not.

Ask your superiors about the qualities of Hemp. The US Armed forces were one of the primary consumers of hemp products before cotton lobbies took over.

We allow millions of housewives to grow poppies in their gardens every year and that's a plant that ACTUALLY produces an extremely dangerous drug, yet we outlaw a plant that is not only socially harmless but economically and environmentally beneficial.
Realizing all of this, i think what i initially said still holds true.

Oh, my superiors dont know anything. Im not pointing a finger at you here, but i wonder why people always tell me to "ask my superiors" about something. Like, what, since im not superior enough im incapable of attaining basic knowledge? Please, I work for alot of people who clearly are not superior.

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Until you realize that no one cares.
Un-oh, a Marine just told me to shut up, better obey.

And what it this crap????

"I think i said it "appears useful" It may very well be useful, but that's obviously not what most pro-hemp people are concerned about."

If a pro-hemp person wasn't concerned about being pro-hemp, what are they concerned about? Being pro-rogaine?

The rock the government has you under must be pretty big, your having trouble seeing anything but what they want you to.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Un-oh, a Marine just told me to shut up, better obey.

And what it this crap????

"I think i said it "appears useful" It may very well be useful, but that's obviously not what most pro-hemp people are concerned about."

If a pro-hemp person wasn't concerned about being pro-hemp, what are they concerned about? Being pro-rogaine?

The rock the government has you under must be pretty big, your having trouble seeing anything but what they want you to.

They're concerned about getting high. Thats all.

Bash what you want all you want, you sound like a child.

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
They're concerned about getting high. Thats all.

Bash what you want all you want, you sound like a child.
NORML is concerned with getting high legally.

Vote Hemp is a non-profit organization dedicated to the acceptance of and free market for Industrial Hemp. Industrial Hemp is non-psychoactive low THC varieties of the cannabis sativa plant...........Where does it say we just wanna get high?

Your opinion is shallow minded. Wake up.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
NORML is concerned with getting high legally.

Vote Hemp is a non-profit organization dedicated to the acceptance of and free market for Industrial Hemp. Industrial Hemp is non-psychoactive low THC varieties of the cannabis sativa plant...........Where does it say we just wanna get high?

Your opinion is shallow minded. Wake up.
Nope, still dont buy it. I still believe that in all the good behind what industrial hemp may cause, lies the ulterior motive of trying to smoke pot freely.

For you to sit there, and keep trying to insult me seems pretty shallow. Your posts rarely, if ever, offer any kind of relevant facts to the matters at hand. Attacking someone personally when your own ignorance toward a situation negates any statement you might try to make as an insult is pretty shallow.

Just so you know though, my opinions on this matter formed long before i was in the military, so quit assuming that everything i post is indicative of the way we military people are "brainwashed"

I wish you had a clue.

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Nope, still dont buy it. I still believe that in all the good behind what industrial hemp may cause, lies the ulterior motive of trying to smoke pot freely.

For you to sit there, and keep trying to insult me seems pretty shallow. Your posts rarely, if ever, offer any kind of relevant facts to the matters at hand. Attacking someone personally when your own ignorance toward a situation negates any statement you might try to make as an insult is pretty shallow.

Just so you know though, my opinions on this matter formed long before i was in the military, so quit assuming that everything i post is indicative of the way we military people are "brainwashed"

I wish you had a clue.
My ignorance? Go ahead and look back at my "farmers point of view" post. What are you adding to the conversation? Show me some proof that the motive behind legalizing hemp is to just get stoned.

The movement to legalize hemp and marijuana started together, I'll admit that. But it has grown up and the two have all but completely seperated. The pro-hemp people are about hemp, its uses, and it's benefits. Hemp legalization and marijuana legalization are two completely different issues with different reasons and agendas. The two plants even grow under different conditions and have different harvest times and methods, so the "hiding pot in a hemp field" is unjustified.

You prove me otherwise with some objective evidence (not your opinion) and I'll shut up.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
people always tell me to "ask my superiors" about something.
Okay, poor choice of words... Ask older career military folk, or check out some military history, is what I meant to say.

You still didn't address any of my questions/arguments.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I realize, of course, what both of you are trying to get across in your arguments. Im not arguing against hemp in itself, as it would appear to be a very useful resource in the world today. What im arguing is that Marijuana advocates and Pro-hemp people are very much intertwined. I can only imagine, as others have stated, a massive influx of marijuana with the legalization of hemp. As you know, Im very opposed to that idea.

MrBig, sorry, but this is again my opinion. There simply is no data available on the ulterior motives of pro-hemp afficianados available at this time. I just think its pretty obvious anyway.

Ohio, about your previous statements. Allowing women to grow poppys i think may be considered different because its not so easily converted into a drug (correct me if im wrong) I think it takes actual laboratories to get anything useful out of them. That simply isnt the case with Marijuana. You also called it a socially harmless drug. I dont believe that to be accurate as well.

What i find interesting about both of your arguments is that you keep insisting that Pot and Hemp are completely seperate entities, yet you find it necessary to defend MJ as OK for the world along the way.

This is from where i draw my correlation. Its just to obvious to ignore.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA

Ohio, ....You also called it a socially harmless drug. I dont believe that to be accurate as well.

What i find interesting about both of your arguments is that you keep insisting that Pot and Hemp are completely seperate entities, yet you find it necessary to defend MJ as OK for the world along the way.
I don't believe I said that. I agree that any drug can be a societal or personal problem. My issue is with the manner in which we fight it. I'm not defending pot, I'm attacking the "War on Drugs" as it currently exists.

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
BS,
I don't know if I'm a minority in the population of Hemp supporters, but I for one do not smoke pot.
If growing of industrial hemp were made legal, marijuana would NOT be any more accessible than it is now.
At any given moment I could go buy a bag and get high, however I don't care to.
Your simplifying of hemp supporters is an uneducated guess of what our motives are.

What I personally have to gain is applying my knowledge of composites to the hemp industry.
I would like to develop real world building supplies from a sustainable recourse.
Additionally, my parents have about 10 acres of field that could stand to grow something that doesn't take much effort and would be useful.

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
I realize, of course, what both of you are trying to get across in your arguments. Im not arguing against hemp in itself, as it would appear to be a very useful resource in the world today. What im arguing is that Marijuana advocates and Pro-hemp people are very much intertwined. I can only imagine, as others have stated, a massive influx of marijuana with the legalization of hemp. As you know, Im very opposed to that idea.

MrBig, sorry, but this is again my opinion. There simply is no data available on the ulterior motives of pro-hemp afficianados available at this time. I just think its pretty obvious anyway.
Since you can't back up your argument, I'm not going to shut up.

How would the legalization of hemp promote an influx of marijuana?

The two plants grow under different conditions, marijuana can't be successfully grown in a hemp field. They have different nutritional needs, cycle times and harvesting methods. If you cross pollinated hemp and marijuana, you'd end up with some really crappy marijuana that might be considered low grade in the ghetto.

There are systems in place (where hemp is legal) already that regulate what can be grown in a field anyway. THC content of a plant can be measured at any given time and hemp fields are subject to random plant testing at all times......and are tested.

Hemp is grown by farmers. Marijuana is grown by weird scientist stoners.

This influx of marijuana pending hemp legalization just won't happen. Where is the justification? How would it happen? Why? If the two plants only similarity is apperance, how could it happen?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by ohio
I don't believe I said that. I agree that any drug can be a societal or personal problem. My issue is with the manner in which we fight it. I'm not defending pot, I'm attacking the "War on Drugs" as it currently exists.
It is true that the war on drugs is not perfect, but i dont see how stopping the fight would help accomplish the goal.

Sideways, I would say you definitely are in the minority on that one. Just wondering though, are there other countries out there that have simply quit using fossil fuels and lumber? Whats the reality of the situation here?
And who's to say that hemp couldnt just become big business like all those everyone seems to despise? I mean, tobacco is relatively easy to grow, and yet it is very controlled. What would really change here?

I believe this is all a fetched idea that will never come to pass. People love causes, and i guess this is one people have just clung to like wanting to legally smoke pot.