Quantcast

Industry Dream Job

May 12, 2006
Huntington Beach, CA
If you could have any job in the MTB industry, what would it be and why?

I personally wished I had some photographer skills and could travel all over the world snapping shots of all the pro's as well as riding with them as well. I wish I had Sterling Lorence's job! Lucky guy!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
That's a good question...

My first thought was a product tester/reviewer. But then I got to thinking that riding new gear for a living might take away from my love of just going out and riding. Riding might become "commonplace" for me, and that would suck.

Then I got thinking about photography, like you said. But I wouldn't want to travel that much.

I think my dream job would be to run a bike shop. I think about my local shop... they ride every day at lunch, hold shop rides at least once a week, talk bikes all day... Plus, the ability to get to know customers... watch them buy an entry level bike, learn to ride, then upgrade and progress through the sport seems like it would be very rewarding... especially for with younger/newer riders. I'd also want to be able to take trade-ins, fix em up and give them to less fortunate kids and such.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
I had always been interested in the engineering and design behind the bikes, experimenting with different suspensions. That may have been one of the reasons I first went into mechanical engineering.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
R&D - I love looking at a problem and trying to find the best solution. Even when you have a design/concept that works, sometimes if you step back and look at it again, you find an even better solution.

It's actually what I do now, but I'd love to do it for the bike industry as well.

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
I would love to have the skills to be a Pro Dher. To be able to fly down the mountain with that much speed and ride the best courses in the world.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
My dream "industry job" would be that of a tour guide. I can ride, wrench, cook, provide 1st aid ... I can think of no better gig than to be riding 4-5 days a week, taking people out on epic riding adventures and show them places they likely would never see on their own.

I don't know if you would consider that an industry job. I don't really care if I worked for a bike company if my job sucked or kept me in the office 60+ hours a week. Riding time would trump a "cool job" every time in my book.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
R&D would be sweet. Product development like I do in software, only "hardware" might also be cool, but riding broken sh!t all the time might also kill it for me.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I'd love to run a tour outfit like Western Spirit or Back Country Excursions. I love the outdoors and love experiencing it on a bike. I think it'd be a good time helping other people enjoy it as well.