Quantcast

Industry nine all mountain wheelset

rav400

Monkey
Aug 31, 2009
The Right Coast
Is anyone using the industry 9 all mountain wheelset in for bike park use? I am thinking getting a set. They will mainly be for trails I have to self shuttle, some trail riding and ocassional trips to the bike park. I am planning on running the new maxxis minion DHF 3c EXO 26x2.5 tires. The i9 AM wheels have an internal width of 20.5mm so the sizing should be OK.

My main question is, would the i9 AM rims hold up to jumps and drops and maybe a few days at Whistler if I can manage to get out West this year.

Thanks

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I built a set of the AM wheels onto 721 hubs. They're great.

Question is though, are you doing a lot of spins? If thats the case, I'd go with their standard hubs. I don't say that because of any problem with the I9 stuff, just that a 270 instead of a 360 can total any wheel, regardless of materials, and the i9 spokes can be pricey. The standard hubs will let you get a lot of the benefits of the I9 stuff, but if you muff a 360 it won't hurt (your wallet) as much.

<3 I9.

rav400

Monkey
Aug 31, 2009
The Right Coast
No, I don't really do spins on a fully, yet anyways. The riding would be more freeride than slopestyle. However, I do like to whip my bike a lot in the air and don't always land perfectly straight.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Long as you aren't landing front wheel heavy sideways, I'd think you'd be fine. Land like that, and everything will die (as in any wheel out there), and you probably will too. :D

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I would go for I9 enduro wheels over the AM for your use. The enduro rim is 28mm wide and would be a little better for the 2.5 tires you are gonna run.
Also, the enduro rim should hold up better at a place like whistler, and even that rim only weighs 505 grams.
That said, I do a ton of stupid $hit on my trail bike, and I am running my I9's on Stan arch rims and they are even holding up great.

rav400

Monkey
Aug 31, 2009
The Right Coast
I was thinking about the eduro rims, but thought I could run the AMs since I only weigh about 160# with gear. I was thinking I could save some weight .

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I am in the tags and i havent even posted yet! That is celebrity status!

To answer your question, i tried a set of i9 all mtns on my Dj hardtail, it lasted less than 15 minutes before i taco'd the rear wheel, replaced the rim with a pimplite, golden ever since. AFAIK, the i9 hubs are all the same, except for the xc hubs. Their wheelsets just use different rims, and the spokes go up .1 from xc to DH. The hubs and spokes will probably be fine, they say the thickness is increased for abrasion, rather than actual spoke strength (although they admit it helps) The rim may be questionable-but the spokes are going to be fine.

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/148414/

Last edited:

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
I think the difference between the AM-Enduro-DH wheelsets is mostly the weight of the rims. I'd suggest get the DH wheelset with the nice phat spokes laced to a custom strong-light rim.