Quantcast

Industry Nine rims?

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Word on the street is that Industry Nine is going to be making their own rims for 2008. Anybody got info or pics? Are they available? I e-mailed I9, but they haven't gotten back to me yet. Also, in last month's issue of MBA, they showed Chris Herndon's slalom bike as their "Inside the Pro's Bikes" feature, and he most definitely had I9 rims on his bike.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
The rims very well could be Industry Nine, but the ones on his bike in that photo just have an Industry Nine sticker on them so who knows if they are I9 or if he just swapped stickers to support his sponsors.

If they do make rims though, hopefully they will not be like the crap DT rims that they stock their wheels with.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
If they do make rims though, hopefully they will not be like the crap DT rims that they stock their wheels with.
Yeah, that's why I'm asking. I'm pretty much ready to take the hit to the bank account and buy some I9 wheels, but if I get 'em I'm gonna get Mavic rims, not DT. The reason I'd be interested in the I9 rims is because it will drastically shorten the lead time when ordering wheels.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
if they do make their own rims.... based on the quality we've seen from them already, I think everyone will be EXTREMELY pleased. Our wallets? Not so much...

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I think i9 is actually a lot like thomson in their capabilities. I9 is a side job of a larger machine shop and they might not have the ability to make a rim that requires different equipment to make. Mavic would still probably be the best rim option for now.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Yeah, I'll probably just end up getting Mavic rims. The bummer about that is it'll take a lot longer and cost a lot more.

Nobody else has heard anything about I9 rims through the rumor mill? What about all you North Carolina guys (Bizutch, Jeremy R, FC Linder, et al)?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Yeah, I'll probably just end up getting Mavic rims. The bummer about that is it'll take a lot longer and cost a lot more.

Nobody else has heard anything about I9 rims through the rumor mill? What about all you North Carolina guys (Bizutch, Jeremy R, FC Linder, et al)?
I have heard rumors of them making their own rims, and I even heard they may be UST, but that is all I know for know.
You can get the I9 wheels built up on any rim you want.
As far as the wait for Mavic, I know when I got mine, they were waiting on a shipment. Even bike companies get the standard "two weeks!" from other bike companies which of course = months.;)
I got mine built up with the Alex Supra D rims, and they are my favorite rim for DH that I have used.

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Just got some all pink All MTNs. They look the dogs balls. Cant wait to throw a cassette and tires on them. They looked so go I ordered a second set....

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
they were working on specing their own line so they wouldn't have to be beholden to so many other bike companies OEM ordering quotas, stocking a couple dozen different styles of rims for several manufacturers in various colors, etc. Paraphrasing Jeff, it sounded like their goal is to simplify their production that way. He told me several goals and to be honest I tuned out right around the time I saw all the sparkly colors of the hundred or so hubs on the shelf...:D

He didn't mention a time frame so only they know.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Sorry to bring up an oldie.... but things are apparantly rolling into the next stages...
Any more word on these rims? I see they showed some at Interbike, but just looking to hear or see some more info...

dimensions? weights? Anyone have any more photos?

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I spoke with Brandi last week about the rims. They will be coming in xc, am, and dh versions and will replace dt swiss as their "house rim." He described them as "a combination of all the qualities we like from seperate rims." I wish I could remember the widths that he fired off, but I cannot. The DH rim has a profile closest to the EX823, and its weight will be in the mid 600g range. That's all I can remember.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Dont hold your breath on the new I9 rims coming out. I talked with I9 last week and he told be it still might be awhile. It might be mid to late summer from what I was told.

I havent had any problems with my DT 5.1s. Ya, they are soft, so I just run 30 psi front and 35 psi rear. I havent had any problems yet. Are they really that bad?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Dont hold your breath on the new I9 rims coming out. I talked with I9 last week and he told be it still might be awhile. It might be mid to late summer from what I was told.

I havent had any problems with my DT 5.1s. Ya, they are soft, so I just run 30 psi front and 35 psi rear. I havent had any problems yet. Are they really that bad?
If you are a racer and running closer to 24-28 Psi, yes. For freeriding as you mention they can be ok. Personally, I'd prefer not to have to give up traction to keep my rims in one piece!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
If you are a racer and running closer to 24-28 Psi, yes. For freeriding as you mention they can be ok. Personally, I'd prefer not to have to give up traction to keep my rims in one piece!
I run mine at 20-28 PSI depending and no dents yet, although I do weigh 150 and ride relatively smoothly. So far they're more solid than my Singletracks were and the weight's good too.

TrekBro

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
Greensboro NC
they need to focus on getting this wheels done quicker 13weeks=5 month (real time) waiting is a whole riding season. I love I9 wheels but I would love to have them on my bike also...

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
they need to focus on getting this wheels done quicker 13weeks=5 month (real time) waiting is a whole riding season. I love I9 wheels but I would love to have them on my bike also...
http://www.ridemonkey.com/classifieds/cat-9/ad-5192/

I waited 7 months for my enduro set and 5 months for the DH set. Oh well they are well worth it. Too bad I won't have a 135mm rear spacing on next years bike.

rancho_race1

Chimp
Mar 5, 2007
i have I9 hubs and spokes laced to 823 rims. they are blissssssss super stiff spokes and very light. the response on the rear hub is amazing too.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
I'm by no means heavy (140 pounds) and not fast either (mid table senior at best) but wrecked my rear 5.1 within a month, that wasn't on particularly rough courses and that wasn't uplift assisted riding either, the front lasted about 3 months!

To put it into context my front 721 is still going after a year altho with a couple of dents and a rear 721 lasted 9 months with god knows how many uplift days and approx 5 or 6 races. The next rear 721 lasted 5 days at Fort william, the rear 721 after that has took 2 races then 16 runs of Fort Bill in one day!!

I doubt a rear 5.1 could stand more than a few runs of Fort Bill running tyre pressures how I like them!

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
This has really nothing to do with the topic, or why it was started... Regarding INDUSTRY NINE manufactured rims.
(but, if you've got a beef with the older DT rims being soft, look at their FR600 rims, =harder alloy than 6.1).

I want purple... 3DV lives on.... and to match my old 3DV Pulstars! old vs. new.

Oct 14, 2007
This has really nothing to do with the topic, or why it was started... Regarding INDUSTRY NINE manufactured rims.
(but, if you've got a beef with the older DT rims being soft, look at their FR600 rims, =harder alloy than 6.1).

I want purple... 3DV lives on.... and to match my old 3DV Pulstars! old vs. new.
that's what the dt swiss both guy was saying at the bike show...theyr trying hard to regain our trust...let's see what happens

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I know this is an old thread but how have the I9 rims been holding up for people?
Anyone run the AM or EN?

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
The I9 rims are very durable. Some guys are running the Enduros for DH racing because they hold up so well. I my experince the DH rims are hard to damage, even finishing a race run on a flat tire (at N*) did only cosmetic damage. The weight vs durability for I9 rims has to be the best I have tried. About 600 grams for the DH and 500 grams for the Enduro.
Highly recommended.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
The Enduro rims are solid. I run them on my DH bike actually with no abnormal issues. I'd like to try a set of the AM rims on my trailbike.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
hmm if people are having great success with the EN rims, im wondering if i could get away with the AM wheelset and save another 150grams.
im 220lbs and ride my trail bike like a mini dh bike

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
hmm if people are having great success with the EN rims, im wondering if i could get away with the AM wheelset and save another 150grams.
im 220lbs and ride my trail bike like a mini dh bike
Too funny. Stick to the 823s or Doublewides Steve.
Im 175 and ride my trail bike like a mini dh bike, but Im easy on rims. :) I cant get my xc bike under 34 lbs and I just sold my old I9s with 500ex rims.

Has anyone tried the AM rims?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Too funny. Stick to the 823s or Doublewides Steve.
Im 175 and ride my trail bike like a mini dh bike, but Im easy on rims. :) I cant get my xc bike under 34 lbs and I just sold my old I9s with 500ex rims.

Has anyone tried the AM rims?
lol, i went through enough Doublewides in my yesteryears to know they were a mistake :p
i cant get my xc under 34lbs either without a new fork and wheels and the EN or AM wheelset would be the ticket i need since my current wheels are 2600grams (from my spare DH bike.) i would prefer a bit wider of a rim, which is why i was really leaning towards the EN rims/wheels

rav400

Monkey
Aug 31, 2009
The Right Coast
I have I9 AM wheels on my Intense slopestyle. Why? because I got them on sale for a great price and the place didn't have the ENs. I mainly ride them on flowy freeride and shelf shuttle DH stuff, so nothing too crazy rocky. They have been fine so far. They handle everything at 7 springs just fine, but take that how you will.