Quantcast

Industry Nine Torch wheelset reviews?

have anyone picked up the complete Torch wheelset? The posted weights are pretty competitive with carbon rimmed wheelsets. It seems like they are using a pretty light weight alu rim to achieve this and I am wondering about durability issues.

So, that being said, I'd like to hear some reviews from monkeys that got and thrashed them. How are they holding up?

Thanks

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Can't speak for the new i9 rims, but I've been on the Torch wheels for a while now with Flow EX rims. Everything else about the wheels has been updated and is also noticeable. I recently had to break down my bike for maintenance from a long wet winter of riding, and the bearings in the hubs still looked brand new, thanks to their new sealed hub design. I haven't even had to true them yet.

Last edited:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I have a set of the 32 spoke 26" Torch Trail wheels. I've been riding them about a month and a half on local trails, trails in Pisgah, and some jump trails. So far they have been flawless. Weight is as advertised and I haven't had to true them. The bearings are super smooth and the hubs are super easy to pull apart/swap for different axle configurations.

Dwdrums00

Monkey
Mar 31, 2007
OP: FWIW I9 is releasing the Torch in an enduro version at sea otter next week. It's slated to have a 26mm ID proprietary rim (32 spoke / 26" version) and is estimated to weight a little over 1600 grams; depending on axle configuration.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
When I picked up my wheels they had the "gravity" and "superlight" rims kicking around the office. The current wheels use a rim between those (Trail) and is burly enough for enduro (or whatever you want to call it) IMHO.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Guys think the SL, 24spoke version is gonna be too flimsy for superD and enduro racing?
I take it you'd be getting them for the Bronson? I'm not sure why they only offer the 27.5 wheels in the 24 spoke version. May be worth a call or email to see if they are going to add a 32 spoke version. I had the option of 24 or 32 and since the 32 spoke wheels were way lighter than my current wheels I went for them.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
OP: FWIW I9 is releasing the Torch in an enduro version at sea otter next week. It's slated to have a 26mm ID proprietary rim (32 spoke / 26" version) and is estimated to weight a little over 1600 grams; depending on axle configuration.
thats a good amount off of their outgoing EN wheelset

Yeah, they will be for the bronson. I currently have a hope fr/hadley rr 26" wheelset. Buying the 27.5 torch wheelset would be weell cheaper than buying enve rims and having them laced to my current hubset. And the torch would prob be lighter by 50-100grams as well. Just not sure if i am giving up alot in the durability department.

In all honesty, i dont do much (if any) big moves on my bikes. And im a paltry 185lbs. I am thinking the 24 spokes should hold up .

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I'm about your weight, and have had good experience w/ a 24 spoke wheelset, although it is on a 26" wheel. My Charger Pro's have held up well, and FWIR are around 1600g. They changed things up for this year, and now offer a Charger Pro SL that weighs a little less, while the regular CP got a little heavier.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
In all honesty, i dont do much (if any) big moves on my bikes. And im a paltry 185lbs. I am thinking the 24 spokes should hold up .
my xc wheels are 24 spoke carbon (chinese wheels). im just over 200lbs with gear and don't ride light. bladed spokes too. haven't had to true them yet.

*knocks on wood*

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I think you'll be fine. I'm around 170lbs and I would probably be fine on the 24's too. It just came down to having the 32 spoke option and the fact that the wheels were already so much lighter than my previous set.