Quantcast

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
So some of you may recall my trip to Alabama (Ft. Rucker) a while back.

Well as a result...(ok only a partial result) of my visit the company for which I work landed the largest PO it has ever gotten.

What will I see out of it? Nothing.

More importantly, what will the shop people see out of it? nothing. Actually, it only makes their lives miserable. The order has a very aggressive delivery schedule. So basically they are going to be punished because of the giant order. And it's not like anyone was going to be fired if the order was not won. It's not preserving jobs or anything.

So the VP/executive level will be enjoying a really nice bonus. But us lowly peons trudge onward....

Well I'm not gonna take it anymore!! I'm MAD AS HELL!! HELL NO I WON'T GO!! SAVE THE WHALES!! THE RENT IS TOO DAMNED HIGH!!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So some of you may recall my trip to Alabama (Ft. Rucker) a while back.

Well as a result...(ok only a partial result) of my visit the company for which I work landed the largest PO it has ever gotten.

What will I see out of it? Nothing.

More importantly, what will the shop people see out of it? nothing. Actually, it only makes their lives miserable. The order has a very aggressive delivery schedule. So basically they are going to be punished because of the giant order. And it's not like anyone was going to be fired if the order was not won. It's not preserving jobs or anything.

So the VP/executive level will be enjoying a really nice bonus. But us lowly peons trudge onward....

Well I'm not gonna take it anymore!! I'm MAD AS HELL!! HELL NO I WON'T GO!! SAVE THE WHALES!! THE RENT IS TOO DAMNED HIGH!!
this is capitalism in action baby!

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
So what would you propose that the company do instead?
I would suggest that they actually formulate a plan for production...with targets and milestones. If the milestones are met, there is monetary reward. (I don't think I should really be getting anything. In my position, I take the good with the bad). But I think the lead-hand production folk should get a little sump'm. There should be something "in it for them". In this case, this order is above an beyond the day to day norm.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Do they not have holiday bonuses in Canada? Generally the better the profits throughout the year, the higher bonuses are across the board to all employees.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Number 5 is key. Pay your good employees above market rate and they can't really leave... On the other hand, retain an employee for long enough at 5-7% raises (or worse, bring on additional, higher paid talent) and watch your best employees go bye-bye without even giving you an opportunity to match their new salary...

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Number 5 is key. Pay your good employees above market rate and they can't really leave... On the other hand, retain an employee for long enough at 5-7% raises (or worse, bring on additional, higher paid talent) and watch your best employees go bye-bye without even giving you an opportunity to match their new salary...
I disagree wholeheartedly (and I've been able to prove this in my own business). There is a point that's reached where extra pay doesn't do much for motivation and/or helping people achieve their goals. I consider myself a pseudo-expert on this subject :-)eek:) but money is pretty far down the list on employee motivation. Of course you still have to pay competitively but many of the other things on that list are potentially more important.

There's an entire business culture centered on this philosophy:
http://www.amazon.com/Peak-Companies-Maslow-non-Franchise-Leadership/dp/0787988618

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I would suggest that they actually formulate a plan for production...with targets and milestones. If the milestones are met, there is monetary reward. (I don't think I should really be getting anything. In my position, I take the good with the bad). But I think the lead-hand production folk should get a little sump'm. There should be something "in it for them". In this case, this order is above an beyond the day to day norm.
F*#k you for actually saying something that makes sense. :rant:

Asshole!!! I still hate you. :D