Quantcast

Inertia valve?

Bowser

Chimp
May 26, 2004
CA
I was thinking about getting some new shocks for my bike, and the new inertia valvle shocks seem pretty all around good.
I like the FOX terralogic brain thing, but the im questioning how when you hit a bump it is unlocked for several more seconds.
The other one i was interested in was the new Stratos ID cartridges. I could just slip them in my current front forks and i would be good to go but i havent heard much about them.
What do you guys think? ups and downs
:monkey:

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
The Brain is only available on Specialized frames for the next year or so. It works very well. My gf has an Epic. The valve weight (brass piece) is suspended up in the tube. Any motion that comes up through the wheel causes the weight to stay in place while everything else moves up, opening the compression valce, activating the shock. If the ground is rough, it will stay active. Once you go back to smooth, it starts to lock immediately, with full lock taking ~2 seconds (If you pick one up and drtop it on the back whell pretty hard, you have enough time to cycle the shock ~1.5 times brfore it is fully locked out again, if you move quickly). My gf says that she cannot see herself racing on anything but an Epic. She also owns an SGS Pro DH bike, a 5" trail bike, and a hardtail, so she knows something about suspension.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I have tried both the Fox terra logic forx and the Stratos cartridges(mildly off-road), I can say that at this point, Stratos has the feel dialed better. But Fox probably has reliability pegged. The Stratos feels much more responsive ie; it opens up faster and easier and doesn't feel "locked out". The Fox feels "locked out" and stiff. It doesn't open as fast, I suspect this is at least in part due to the fact that Stratos is licensing the "inertia valve" technology from Ricor who owns the patents. This makes it so that Fox has to work around Ricor's patents where Stratos can adhere directly to proven technology. My only disclaimer is that Stratos' customer service/reliabilty has been known to lack where Fox is a more stand up company. As far as rear shocks go, Manitou's Swinger 4-way or Fox's 2005 RP3 with adjustable Pro-Pedal.