Quantcast

Inexpensive 6 bolt hub

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Hey all, I am looking for an inexpensive (xt price range) disc brake hub that is 6 bolt, decent weight and reliable. I don't want any shimano spline hubs just a simple reliable hub. Any suggestions?

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
hey! why not get an XT? find one of the older ones. do you need rear or front? because i have a deore rear that i could sell you. 20 bucks and its yours.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
mcA896 said:
hey! why not get an XT? find one of the older ones. do you need rear or front? because i have a deore rear that i could sell you. 20 bucks and its yours.
I was kinda hoping to find something other than shimano, I was looking at the DT onyx stuff. It is a bit more but the weight is a lot nicer. I am not a gram counter, but I am just looking for the best bang for the buck.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Yeah I have seen the adapters, I am not to into it. Seems like a bandaid to an easy problem. I have seen the hopes but they aren't available right now...at least when i checked they weren't in stock. I am looking for the hubset, so front and rear, standard QR

J

JRB

Call Universal Cycles and ask Mike to match Jenson on Hopes. They did for me, and I liked them well. I have some on Julie's bike now. I got some DTs on a wheel set and formulas on my new bike. When the formulas tank, I will be getting hope bulbs with a conversion. I do like the Onyx, but the hope seems like a better deal. A lot lighter for not much more money.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I have a Cannondale marked Formula Six Bolt rear disc hub that comes with Surly Flask. Its all yours for $40 shipped.

See Here:

PM me if you are interested.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Front hubs are basically all the same, so it's only really worth looking at differences in rear hubs. DT/Onyx is the best you'll find at that price point. Not worth spending any more than that unless you go for Hopes, which really aren't all that expensive for a quality hub. Hopes are definitely the best at their price point. You'd have to go to a Hadley, King, or DT 240/340/440 to get anything nicer, but it's not really worth it unless you have a need for super fast engagement and don't mind the noise.

Also, hubs labelled "Hayes" are the same as Onyx. Magura hubs used to be Onyx also, but I'm not sure if that's still true.

J

JRB

ohio said:
<snip> Magura hubs used to be Onyx also, but I'm not sure if that's still true.
My Magura pros are DT 240s. The comps are Onyx.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
loco said:
My Magura pros are DT 240s. The comps are Onyx.
Oh, yup, and you just reminded me that the Hayes ELITE are also the 240s. It's the regular Hayes that are the Onyx.

don't know much about the Hope XC, but I think they're pretty similar to the Bulbs. Should be just as durable, I think just a touch heavier.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
People on Ebay are always selling QR front Hayes Elite hubs for $20-30 + shipping. I see them all the time. Good hubs for the price.

I'll agree though, front hubs are all similar, but the rears will really shine if you get a good one. If they are sealed bearings then whatever and aluminum body you're fine. For the price I don't think those Hayes Elite hubs can be beat anywhere price wise, especially ebay :)

J

JRB

So my answer was right, huh???

*ok - really - Hope is one of the most under-rated hub makers around.