Quantcast

inexpensive flash with a jack for wireless receiver.....?

thereturnBW

Chimp
Sep 24, 2008
anyone have any info on an inexpensive flash that has the necessary jack to attach wireless receivers? i shoot canon bodies and will be using the cybersync system from alien bee.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
im using hot shoe adapter i bought on Ebay for $7 w/ shipping from Hong Kong with my Alien Bees..you can use any cheap flash that doesnt have a pc input...which canon's dont

vivtar makes decent cheap flashes.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Sunpak 333 off ebay.

Was $10 with shipping. Has a jack and adjustable power to 1/32.

With an umbrella, stand and a cheap wireless the whole lighting kit came out to about $100.

(pic shows wired setup)

Sunpak 411 is a good one to look for too.

thereturnBW

Chimp
Sep 24, 2008
im using hot shoe adapter i bought on Ebay for $7 w/ shipping from Hong Kong with my Alien Bees..you can use any cheap flash that doesnt have a pc input...which canon's dont

vivtar makes decent cheap flashes.

so you mean the little cube right?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
so you mean the little cube right?
yeah you got it. the one good thing about the ebay triggers is the built in hot shoe.

the little hot shoe cubes make up for canon's lack of a pc input, even on the 580. and itll make the AB's work with them too.
but the vivitars and sunpak's have a pc port right on them

Last edited:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
The vivitars don't have a PC port, they have a Vivitar port. You can get metal hotshoes with pc ports and threaded collars like pocket wizards have. I put them on 4 285's, but for some reason one won't work...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Uh it's a pc port. You get the cable that works just fine in the PC port. It is a PC port, with a vivitar plug end. Most older flashes had proprietary ports on them.

Adding extra bits and pieces/adapters/connectors always makes things less reliable.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the hot shoe adapter has worked every time w/ no issues....now if only i can find one w/ a threaded bottom to it ill be set.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Well, yeah.... vivitar - pc.

I'm not sure why that happened to one, but the 3 are working fine and are much sturdier... I had one plastic foot crack (no, it wasn't dropped or run into/over).

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
That's the test button. :D There is a regular pc port on the other side.

Vivitar cord/ jack on stock hot shoe. PC cord/jack on aftermarket hot shoe.

Last edited:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
With the non modified flash, all you need is a vivitar cord (left) with whatever end you need (PC, household, etc.) The vivitar cord goes into that hole on the left shoe/connected shoe.

edit: It does look like the pc port (I could be wrong), but that plastic notch is only on one side and not on the PC port side in the second pic.

Last edited:

thereturnBW

Chimp
Sep 24, 2008
so i think i am going to go with a pair of vivtars. flashzebra.com has the correct cables to attach the cybersyncs directly to them which is cool. thanks for the help and when i get the setup done ill be sure to post some results.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
so i think i am going to go with a pair of vivtars. flashzebra.com has the correct cables to attach the cybersyncs directly to them which is cool. thanks for the help and when i get the setup done ill be sure to post some results.
the AB's come with all the cables you will need to make them work...the one bad thing about the AB's is the transmitter doesnt have a off button. if the test/on button gets pressed in your bag, it will stay on for at least 1 hour.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
the AB's come with all the cables you will need to make them work...the one bad thing about the AB's is the transmitter doesnt have a off button. if the test/on button gets pressed in your bag, it will stay on for at least 1 hour.
They don't come with the cable for the 285.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
i thought it had a pc port on the flash or came with the cable....
It comes with a flash sure, but one which has a vivitar pc port on one end and a regular one on the other. Pocket wizards and cybersyncs both use a sterep 3.5mm jack and not a PC port. Therefore he needs a Vivitar PC to 3.5mm cable.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
it uses the 3.5mm mini stereo to connect to the receiver, but has a PC on the other end.

the vivitar doesnt come with the adapter cable?

Last edited:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
After many times using others lighting setups, I finally nutted up and bought my own after unloading my last Canon lens (28mm f/1.8 USM). My Nikon D100 has arrived, so I felt it was time.

The listy:
-3 Vivitar 283 strobes, I will be soldering and cutting to make these power adjustable. One is semi-broken, and will be the guinea pig.
-Alienbees Cybersync trigger/receiver setup - second strobe will be fired optically.
-The MPEX stands/umbrellas/swivels and adapter cable for Vivitar.

I'm stoked. Total cost was approx $380 with everything. I got the 283s for $20 each, and the semi-broken one for $1. I don't have the cash to get the second receiver, so I decided an optical hotshoe slave will be suitable for now.

I've read the Cybersync build quality is awful (not unlike Pocketwizards), but that they're dead reliable firing-wise...which is really what I'm concerned about. I've got friends with the Cactus crap, and for the most part they hate them. A few people have great luck, but it seems most have a trigger rate of 70% or below. I contemplated going straight wired but wanted to stick with miniphone, and the amount of cables and adapters I'd need to use was getting out of hand...like Fraser said, more links in the chain just gives it an added place to break.

OP, have you gotten the Cybersyncs yet? I'll be sure to start testing stuff this weekend if they arrive by Friday.