Quantcast

Infected scrape/ best way to clean?

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
I got a nice scrape on my shin this weekend while riding. It has already scabbed over and part of the scab is very very dark almost black. The day I got the scrape I washed it with soap that night.

I got home last night and put some Hydrogen Peroxide on it and it bubbled up quite a bit, the skin around it is red and sore. Should I pick the black part off then clean it again or does anyone have any secrets to I don't loose my foot. :clue:

Dan

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
:stupid:

Dilute some hydro peroxide with some water, and use it to scrub the wound with a scrubby brush/pad (You know, the orange things), then wash with soap and rinse. Spray some lidocaine on before hand...makes cleaning a whole lot easier.

How is it infected if it's black?

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Are we talking a light scrub or bleed inducing scrub to get in there scrub? I have a pretty high tolerence for pain so Its no biggie. Just was wondering what I should do.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
rockymt21 said:
Are we talking a light scrub or bleed inducing scrub to get in there scrub? I have a pretty high tolerence for pain so Its no biggie. Just was wondering what I should do.
bleed inducing for sure.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
rockymt21 said:
Im justy gonna use a wash cloth and some elbow grease.
Betadine or peroxide or some such treatment, scrub it out. Keep it clean, put on some Neosporin once a day.

Did I say keep it clean?

Oh yeah - keep it clean.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I get scrapes all the time (I'm a clutz) and I don't think I've ever had a [serious] infection. Just watch it off with some soap & water. I pour hydrogen peroxide strait up on the scrape and let that sh!t bubble up for a minute or so. Another rinse or wash & rinse and I'm good to go. I don't think I've ever scrubbed unless I had dirt visibly in the wound.

Definitely don't pick your scab just to re-wash. That's completely unnecessary.

rockymt21 said:
Im justy gonna use a wash cloth and some elbow grease.
That's fine. Unless you went sliding through broken glass or asbestos I wouldn't worry about it.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
macko said:
I get scrapes all the time (I'm a clutz) and I don't think I've ever had a [serious] infection. Just watch it off with some soap & water. I pour hydrogen peroxide strait up on the scrape and let that sh!t bubble up for a minute or so. Another rinse or wash & rinse and I'm good to go. I don't think I've ever scrubbed unless I had dirt visibly in the wound.

Definitely don't pick your scab just to re-wash. That's completely unnecessary.
I almost never clean stuff out when I wreck...like, even basic soap and water.

Maybe that's why my legs are covered in scars :think:

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
blue said:
I almost never clean stuff out when I wreck...like, even basic soap and water.

Maybe that's why my legs are covered in scars :think:
Yeah I'm with ya there. I just took a bad spill last week and the most cleaning the cuts got were from the usual post-ride shower.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Im not worried about scars, but when it hurts to walk normally I am kind of worried. I just want to get **** cleaned up and scabbed over before the race this weekend.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I almost never clean scrapes either, but Fontucky got me scared of staph infections. The last time I was at the hospital after I broke my collarbone I got a scrape cleaned out by the doctor who went crazy with the scrub brush. He also put numbing soap on it so it didn't hurt. But yeah. Scrub brush, soap, water, hydrogen peroxide, then cover with neosporin or something similar.

NapalmCheese

Monkey
May 16, 2006
Los Gatos
If you didn't get the crap out before it scabbed over, there isn't much point in trying now... If it's red and sore around the wound it's infected, and at this point topical antibiotics won't do MUCH good (but will do some).

You wanna see something funky, check out these things http://www.bandaid.com/activflex_prod.shtml, they are just super weird. Basically, they keep you from ever developing a real scab, but work like a scab themselves, and they feel 'squidgy'. I don't especially suggest them though, in my experience they seem to have some issues...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
NapalmCheese said:
You wanna see something funky, check out these things http://www.bandaid.com/activflex_prod.shtml, they are just super weird. Basically, they keep you from ever developing a real scab, but work like a scab themselves, and they feel 'squidgy'. I don't especially suggest them though, in my experience they seem to have some issues...
Yep...thats whats in my picture. They're expensive, but they work well.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
NapalmCheese said:
If you didn't get the crap out before it scabbed over, there isn't much point in trying now... If it's red and sore around the wound it's infected, and at this point topical antibiotics won't do MUCH good (but will do some).

HELL NO!!! DON'T USE THEM THINGS!!!

I used one after a nasty spill at Mammoth. I left it on for about 2-3 days, and then when I took it off this gravy-like substance spilled everywhere off my knee. Now I have a gnarly scar. I find just washing in a shower is the best thing to do.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Just to make sure you really get everything out get one of the grill brushes. You know, with the metal and all.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Bicyclist said:

I used one after a nasty spill at Mammoth. I left it on for about 2-3 days, and then when I took it off this gravy-like substance spilled everywhere off my knee. Now I have a gnarly scar. I find just washing in a shower is the best thing to do.
Leave it on until it falls off, and put a new one on if you're not healed when it does. It functions as the scab. I put one of those stocking things over it on larger wounds to help hold it on as well.

NapalmCheese

Monkey
May 16, 2006
Los Gatos
blue said:
Leave it on until it falls off, and put a new one on if you're not healed when it does. It functions as the scab. I put one of those stocking things over it on larger wounds to help hold it on as well.
It does work well, it's just weird, I didn't really like it. I had to babysit it a lot. I got bucked off a motorcycle and banged up both knees pretty bad. These things looked like they would be pretty flexible so I decided to give them a try. They worked well (both knees healed with no new scars, more than I can say for a few other parts of me) but the dumb band-aid things tended to develop leaks around the edges after a few days of bending and stuff. Like Bicyclist was saying, whatever goes on inside of those things is nasty. In order to keep both knees flexible I kept using them but had to resort to shaving both knees and using lots of that clear super stickum tape around the edges of the bandage.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Cleaning a wound

WebMD said:
*Wash the wound for 5 minutes with large amounts of cool water and soap (mild dishwashing soap, such as Ivory, works well). Some nonprescription products are available for wound cleaning that numb the area so cleaning does not hurt as much. Be sure to read the product label for correct use.

*Do NOT use rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, iodine, or mercurochrome, which can harm the tissue and slow healing

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
blue said:

The orange thing...those Doctor's Choice things are awesome. Get some of those as well...that's my abrasion care kit :)
That looks very familiar. My elbow is wincing at the sight of that.

Something that may help is to get some betadine on it somehow, possibly soak the scab in the shower, clean it out nice with the little scrubbie, then get some betadine on it.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
NapalmCheese said:
It does work well, it's just weird, I didn't really like it. I had to babysit it a lot. I got bucked off a motorcycle and banged up both knees pretty bad. These things looked like they would be pretty flexible so I decided to give them a try. They worked well (both knees healed with no new scars, more than I can say for a few other parts of me) but the dumb band-aid things tended to develop leaks around the edges after a few days of bending and stuff. Like Bicyclist was saying, whatever goes on inside of those things is nasty. In order to keep both knees flexible I kept using them but had to resort to shaving both knees and using lots of that clear super stickum tape around the edges of the bandage.
When that **** dries and hardens, it's the hardest crap known to man. Seriously. They're so much fun! I enjoy playing with bodily fluids.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
Bicyclist said:

Sorry to derail a bit...

I used to use those back when I was fighting forest fires. My fire boots used to give me stupid blisters from hiking all over hell and creation, and they provided the perfict friction prevention. I tried one on a cut once and wasn't happy, I just went back to a regular band-aid/neosporen.

Back to the thread...

I've never really done much for cuts/scratches/nasty sh!t. Just shower and wash out w/ soap when I got home. Sometimes I use gause and neosporen if its big, but usually I just let it scab and go about its business. But I don't really know if chicks really dig scars, my shoulder tends to scar them.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
In all seriousness, cuts and scrapes are dangerous.

The reason I started posting at Ridemonkey was to post my thoughts on Jack Daub. A friend of pretty much everyone who knew him, who after getting a cut that required some stiches got an infection. The doctors could just never get on top of the infection and a few months later he was dead.

Its not about the scars, its about life. Taking 5 or 10 minutes to give a wound a good cleaning can be the difference. Soap, water and a little bit of scrubbing. Then keeping an eye on it daily is all it takes. If a wound starts to show the signs of infection (pus, streaky redness and excess heat) a quick trip to the doctor isn't overkill.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
DRB said:
In all seriousness, cuts and scrapes are dangerous.

The reason I started posting at Ridemonkey was to post my thoughts on Jack Daub. A friend of pretty much everyone who knew him, who after getting a cut that required some stiches got an infection. The doctors could just never get on top of the infection and a few months later he was dead.

Its not about the scars, its about life. Taking 5 or 10 minutes to give a wound a good cleaning can be the difference. Soap, water and a little bit of scrubbing. Then keeping an eye on it daily is all it takes. If a wound starts to show the signs of infection (pus, streaky redness and excess heat) a quick trip to the doctor isn't overkill.
Amen.

Staph and other nasties are floating around out there. If I rash myself I always clean the wound and load it up with Neosporin/generic triple antibiotic as a precaution.

Years ago my buddy sliced his knee windsurfing, got stitched up, and spent the next two months dealing with an e-coli infection and multiple wound openings/re-cleanings.

That was enough to make me just a little paranoid about microscopic nasties.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Good god.

My entire youth was spent bleeding next to a skateboard. I fell on my knees and elbows constantly and I got some gnarly infections but nothing I'd ever have deemed life threatening. And I lived by swamps.

Maybe it was the superman speedo-tard............

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont

The dark spot is dried blood I believe. This pic was taken after taking the badnage off, how does it look?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Just keep an eye on it. How deep is it? Clean, neosporin, probably let it scab over. Make sure no red streakiness develops, no warmth, etc...

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Not too deep, the black part is the deepest which had the most blood on it and scabbed 1st so I think its fine. I cleaned it with hydro-peroxide a couple times, scrubbed reall good with soap each day, and used some triple antibacterial ointment. Should be alright, and I think the pain from walking is coming from my shin opr a bruse because I did hit my shin pretty hard on the rock, the pain was deep feeling.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
rockymt21 said:
So its nothing to worry about?
Nope.

Infections would make it puffy soft and red. It would also feel hot... what you've got there looks like it's in good shape - just be careful to keep it clean!!!

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
*Do NOT use rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, iodine, or mercurochrome, which can harm the tissue and slow healing
this is what we learned in OEC ( outdoor emergency care) I'm pretty sure that both hydrogen peroxide and betadine kill healthy tissue. Soap and water and scrubbing to get the crud out is it..... I've been on the recieving end of that treatment.

geargrrl