Quantcast

Info on travel to New Orleans

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
dh girlie said:
I wanna go to New Orleans...whens the best time to go? I don't want to go to Mardi Gras (believe it or not)...but I want to stay very close to or right in the thick of the action...I want a NICE hotel, not into groddy, grimmey sh*t holes...4 or 5 star...any suggestions?
Go to the Jazz Festival, little later in spring as I recall.

Eat at Mother's, which is a touristy joint but the food is worth it. Red beans and rice, po' boys with 'debris' (the meat drippings from the roaster), pecan pie, and bread pudding.

MD

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
MikeD said:
Go to the Jazz Festival, little later in spring as I recall.

Eat at Mother's, which is a touristy joint but the food is worth it. Red beans and rice, po' boys with 'debris' (the meat drippings from the roaster), pecan pie, and bread pudding.

MD
What's the weather like? It's humid there all the time isn't it? It might be a little too late for me to plan for the Jazz Fest. Any ideas on places to stay? I was looking at the Ritz on Canal...but how close is that to all the fun?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
dh girlie said:
What's the weather like? It's humid there all the time isn't it? It might be a little too late for me to plan for the Jazz Fest. Any ideas on places to stay? I was looking at the Ritz on Canal...but how close is that to all the fun?
Only place I ever stayed in Nawlins was a military ship and/or a gutter, so I can't really help you...I'd imagine the hotel websites give a lot of info, though, and they're all bound to be close to the French Quarter and other scenic/tourist things.

Around MG time, it's still kinda balmy but chilly enough at night. Always humid, regardless of temperture.

MD

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i went down for the NCAA tourney over a decade ago. that was in march. weather was awesome. i agree; i'd stay away from mardi gras too. jazzfest is an awesome idea. a good friend of mine went to tulane and went back to jazzfest almost every year before he had kids.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I can't really offer any hotel advice, but I went to New Orleans for a work conference few years ago and I loved it. It's a very cool and unique city to walk around. It's even better when work picks up the tab. :thumb:

I stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn near the huge ass convention center. It was nowhere near the action. I had to walk a couple miles to get to Bourbon Street.

I went the last week of August. It was hotter than friggin hell. I was sweating like a pig walking around that city, while all the locals looked just fine.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I Are Baboon said:
I was sweating like a pig walking around that city, while all the locals looked just fine.
That's what you get for not drinking a mint julep on the veranda before going out in the heat. I bet you weren't even wearing linen.

MD

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
dh girlie said:
I wanna go to New Orleans...whens the best time to go? I don't want to go to Mardi Gras (believe it or not)...but I want to stay very close to or right in the thick of the action...I want a NICE hotel, not into groddy, grimmey sh*t holes...4 or 5 star...any suggestions?
I think groddy grimey ****holes are apart of the Big Easy experience. Besides if you do it right you will be drunk all night and a 4/5 star hotel will be a waste. NO is about food and drunkeness. If you want nice stay at a B&B in the Garden District, even the CBD can get pretty loud at times. Going to New Orleans and staying in a 4/5 star hotel is like going to Key West and not sleeping on a park bench. When in Rome.... By the way you might surprise yourself what you would do for some beads? But just remember some of those pictures might end up on the internet......jdcamb

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
dh girlie said:
Its never too late to plan for Jazz Fest. Though it will be expensive. But then its usually expensive, as there is always something going on.

Assuming by all the fun you mean the Quarter....

The Ritz canal is good. But the Maison (a Ritz as well) is better.

Hotel Monteleone is super nice but very pricey. (My wife and I spent our wedding night there).

Royal Sonesta is right on Burbon.

The Astor Crowne, which is run by Dickie Brennan of Brennan's fame I've heard is nice.

The best time to go if you don't want to go to Jazz Fest would be the week before or the week after. April and May are really nice. June isn't so bad. July August and early September are awful.

When and if you decide to go, let me know, and I'll give you a list of resturants that are very worth it.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Best time weather-wise to visit Nawlins (say it like a native) is late Mar-mid Apr.

By the end of Apr the place is like taking a sauna in a high-crime sewer ditch.

I work with a guy who has a time share down there. His time is Jazz Fest. Do you want me to ask him about renting it out? He almost never uses it anyhow.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I've stayed at several hotels in Nawlins but I can say that you really shouldn't spend big bucks on a room. Save your coin for the awesome food!!! Your room is just someplace you are going to pass-out in and take a shower when you wake up anyhow.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
N8 said:
Your room is just someplace you are going to pass-out in and take a shower when you wake up anyhow.
Now, don't forget the anonymous sex. Or the voodoo rituals.

DHG, have you seen the movie Angel Heart? I heartily recommend a viewing before a trip to NO.

MD

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MikeD said:
Now, don't forget the anonymous sex. Or the voodoo rituals.

DHG, have you seen the movie Angel Heart? I heartily recommend a viewing before a trip to NO.

MD

Most drunken NO sex dosen't take place in a hotel room.... :p

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
jdcamb said:
I think groddy grimey ****holes are apart of the Big Easy experience. Besides if you do it right you will be drunk all night and a 4/5 star hotel will be a waste. NO is about food and drunkeness. If you want nice stay at a B&B in the Garden District, even the CBD can get pretty loud at times. Going to New Orleans and staying in a 4/5 star hotel is like going to Key West and not sleeping on a park bench. When in Rome.... By the way you might surprise yourself what you would do for some beads? But just remember some of those pictures might end up on the internet......jdcamb
Maybe the groddy grimey thing is a part of the Big Easy for some, but not me. I refuse to stay in a sh*t hole even if it's part of the experience...didn't you ever see that thing on 20/20 where they found 57 different cum wads on a bedspread at a NICE hotel? Could you imagine how many are on a bedspread at a crappy hotel? I'm just a snob, I guess...I'll party like a rock star, but when I come back to pass out, it's gonna be in a nice room.

Also, I would NEVER...no matter what flash my boobs for some plastic beads or for anything else...trust me...

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I went 2 years ago and rented some lady's house. It was on Burgundy St. I'm shure there are a lot of places like this. It was nice to have a kitchen to save a couple of bucks on eats.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
DRB said:
Its never too late to plan for Jazz Fest. Though it will be expensive. But then its usually expensive, as there is always something going on.

Assuming by all the fun you mean the Quarter....

The Ritz canal is good. But the Maison (a Ritz as well) is better.

Hotel Monteleone is super nice but very pricey. (My wife and I spent our wedding night there).

Royal Sonesta is right on Burbon.

The Astor Crowne, which is run by Dickie Brennan of Brennan's fame I've heard is nice.

The best time to go if you don't want to go to Jazz Fest would be the week before or the week after. April and May are really nice. June isn't so bad. July August and early September are awful.

When and if you decide to go, let me know, and I'll give you a list of resturants that are very worth it.
I was looking at that Ritz Maison...where is that? Is it close to the quarter? The one on Bourbon...how nice is that? thanks for the dirt...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
dh girlie said:
Maybe the groddy grimey thing is a part of the Big Easy for some, but not me. I refuse to stay in a sh*t hole even if it's part of the experience...didn't you ever see that thing on 20/20 where they found 57 different cum wads on a bedspread at a NICE hotel? Could you imagine how many are on a bedspread at a crappy hotel? I'm just a snob, I guess...I'll party like a rock star, but when I come back to pass out, it's gonna be in a nice room.

Also, I would NEVER...no matter what flash my boobs for some plastic beads or for anything else...trust me...
Sorry to burst your ballon. I was the night manager of a ritzy hotel. I can assure you that there are just as many jizz spots on the bed spread at the nice hotels too. Poor folks have half as much sex as rich folks. I could always tell how much money folks had when they stayed at our place buy how messy the rooms where when they left. Poor folks have a tendency to clean up after themselves when they stay at a swanky place. Rich folks would just leave the used condom on the side table. All Hotels clean the sheets but the beds are a different story.....jdcamb

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
dh girlie said:
I don't think my hunny would appreciate me having anonymous sex on the streets of NO
Well, that's why I suggested the hotel room. It's N8 who's apparently endorsing it in the street...

Anyhow, jokes aside, I recommend a watching of Angel Heart for you and the hunny before the trip.

MD

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
jdcamb said:
Sorry to burst your ballon. I was the night manager of a ritzy hotel. I can assure you that there are just as many jizz spots on the bed spread at the nice hotels too. Poor folks have half as much sex as rich folks. I could always tell how much money folks had when they stayed at our place buy how messy the rooms where when they left. Poor folks have a tendency to clean up after themselves when they stay at a swanky place. Rich folks would just leave the used condom on the side table. All Hotels clean the sheets but the beds are a different story.....jdcamb
EWWWWWWW! On the side table?!?!?! Well, when I go on vacation, I like to stay at nice place...cum wads are everywhere...and cum wads are cum wads...by the way....how did you count the cum wads on the bedspreads?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
dh girlie said:
didn't you ever see that thing on 20/20 where they found 57 different cum wads on a bedspread at a NICE hotel? Could you imagine how many are on a bedspread at a crappy hotel? I'm just a snob, I guess...
note to DHG: don't bring yr UV flashlight to NO w/ you, no matter where you end up staying.

dh girlie said:
what if chris cornell was tossing them?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
dh girlie said:
I was looking at that Ritz Maison...where is that? Is it close to the quarter? The one on Bourbon...how nice is that? thanks for the dirt...
October could be pretty good, but it could be cold. The earlier in October the better BUT Halloween in New Orleans is pretty cool. Sort of like Mardi Gras but not quite so intense.

The Maison is on the corner of iberville and dauphine which is one block up from Bourbon street. Its a good location easy walking distance to Canal Place.

The Royal Sonesta is on the corner of Bourbon and Bienville. Its on the same end of the quarter as the Maison. Most of the nice bigger places are on that end. (closer to canal) I've never stayed there but I've been it in a few times. The courtyard is really cool. The room I was in overlooked Bourbon street and was nice.

I know there are a bunch of nice B&Bs all in the quarter but I'll have to ask my wife as she is the native.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
DRB said:
October could be pretty good, but it could be cold. The earlier in October the better BUT Halloween in New Orleans is pretty cool. Sort of like Mardi Gras but not quite so intense.

The Maison is on the corner of iberville and dauphine which is one block up from Bourbon street. Its a good location easy walking distance to Canal Place.

The Royal Sonesta is on the corner of Bourbon and Bienville. Its on the same end of the quarter as the Maison. Most of the nice bigger places are on that end. (closer to canal) I've never stayed there but I've been it in a few times. The courtyard is really cool. The room I was in overlooked Bourbon street and was nice.

I know there are a bunch of nice B&Bs all in the quarter but I'll have to ask my wife as she is the native.
The hotel info is perfect. Thank you very much!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
dh girlie said:
I would stay at the Le Pavillon Hotel, on Poydras. Two blocks from the French Quarter, 2 from the trolley, it is a good location. A Louis Sullivan designed building, it is classic old-school New Orleans style.

The rates are very reasonable. One time my friend got a room for $110 on Mardi Gras despite calling two days before!

I would also between Mardi Gras and JazzFest. Unless you are really into either one, you can see the city much easier in that time. The weather is great and you can plenty of craziness even then.

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
dh girlie said:
:think: :think:

I dunno...boobs are kinda overrated...

I respectfully disagree.

I do wonder why some folks'll flash 'em for 3 cents worth of plastic, though.

I used to play a lot of music down there and still have a few local friends. PM me if you want and I'll look 'em up for you.

There's nothing like the NO experience with a true local.

Like bar hopping on LSD all night (seriously, we hit this joint called snake and jake at like 5am -- the place was packed -- hotties of both sexes everywhere), chatting with the tugboat pilots as they cruised by the levee at daybreak (they'd pull up alongside the levee in their tugs and hold 'em in gear against the current and lean out the pilot house and just shoot the **** with us), waking up in the afternoon on some random apartment floor laying in what turned out to be rat turds, going outside and sitting next to some cutie on the front steps, going to breakfast with her and...

Man, that's a fun-ass town.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i like going to NOLA around halloween. for a couple of years tn and i went down there for our b-days, mines the 27th of Oct. and his is the first of Nov. so we were always down there during the halloween festivities. i think voodoo fest is always there that weekend. widespread panic plays there every year too, if your into that hippie ****. its still nice in new orleans in oct. it never really gets cold down there anyway. you don't want to be down there in the summer. its f'in hot, f'in humid and stinks, literally.

labor day weekend is the southern decadence festival, AKA. gay mardi gras. it is a blast. we had a lot of fun when we went to that. fun parades, lots of parties, and not nearly as crowded as mardi gras.

i can't help out with hotels, because we dig the little hole in the wall places. we stayed in the warehouse district a couple of times, really nice hotels, but not too close to the french quarter. walking distance though.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
laura said:
we stayed in the warehouse district a couple of times, really nice hotels, but not too close to the french quarter. walking distance though.
That's a pretty long stagger from the FQ, although as a cab ride, it's not so bad, and there's a trolley or something out of the riverwalk, right?. Our ships were always docked there...if I had the choice, I'd try to stay closer, though.

The only photos I've ever had in a real, non-school related exhibition were taken in the warehouse district. All these empty street shots of the old buildings, ships, and infrastructure, all entitled "Mardis Gras (1996)" for that ironic quality. It's funny how I've done my best artistic work with bad hangovers.

MD

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
dh girlie said:
EWWWWWWW! On the side table?!?!?! Well, when I go on vacation, I like to stay at nice place...cum wads are everywhere...and cum wads are cum wads...by the way....how did you count the cum wads on the bedspreads?
I was the manager. I told someone to count the cum wads.......