Quantcast

Info on Wisp anyone????

freshwire

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Roanoke Virginia
Hey Bros..

My son is 9 and is doing really well on his DH/FR rig...spec. Grom with 24's...been riding the western terr and Snowshoe a good bit...but there are still some bits that he has to dismount to get around...

I've heard that Wisp is much less demanding in general? it's about 1.5 hr north of The Shoe, so not a lot farther for us to drive...I know it's a much smaller mtn...so the trails will of course be shorter...but it's cheaper, will sell you a half day ticket, and has a camp ground nearby that is not as "WV chainsaw massacre-ish as Whitaker :D...so I've heard...can anyone tell me about the terrain???

I've bought a season pass to SS for the last 3 years, but decided not to this year...money being a big reason...and I also want to mix it up a bit...

My son deals with Ninja Bob, the lower section of Ball and Jack, and loves Power Line...but Pro DH is a bit much for him...

Ya think Wisp would provide him more "saddle time" ???

Thanks in advance for any info!

Please check out his Sponsorhouse (Hookit.com) page if you have a chance!!!

http://www.hookit.com/members/downhiller2000/

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Yeah, wisp would be a great place to take small ones. Whenever I want to introduce somebody to dh, it's where I go them. Laid back, cheap, and the trails are fun but not super scary. The mountain just isn't that steep or rocky. They've got some very cool features and trail sections, but in general it's just a much more relaxed place to ride. Whereas at Snowshoe you really take your life in your hands every run, Wisp has mostly flowy, low consequence trails. Only real problems are that the lift is slow and the trail network isn't that extensive.

freshwire

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Roanoke Virginia
Thanks for the info everyone...when all you ride is Snowshoe, you don't realize how insane most of the trails are...I've gotten him in over his head several times and he's always been a good sport about it...we are going to check out Wisp weekend after next...I've heard 7 Springs isn't as terrifying as Snowshoe either... and is close to Wisp as well...Keep shreddin' !!! See you on the mountain!!!

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
Timberline WV can also give you what you want and maybe more of what you need. You would make an error to pass up a visit.

JR