Quantcast

#^$%ing Vista

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I purchased an LG lightscribe drive "vista compatible" and connected it to my Vista machine. Installed software. Couldn't get it to work right for anything.

Now I can't uninstall programs (nero for one). In regular mode system restore launched, bit I never get the UI. In safe mode system restore launches, but says I have no restore points. System event log says I have a restore point from just before the nero install. I've tried flagging the uninstall as an XP program. No dice. I've tried the Microsoft MSI cleanup tool, it won't finish. I've tried Zsoft uninstaller without success.

Does anyone have any ideas? Msiexec.exe just appears to hang. System Restore just appears to hang, with no UI. I've just tried ccleanup, and rebooted and I'm just about of options. I've even gone into the services and run sections of HKLM to delete the crap nero and the other DVD burner software left behind, but it's not looking good at this point.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Not a specific answer, but have you tried contacting LG? Sounds like the problem resides in their software - what software did you install? Shouldn't have needed anything except drivers.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Not a specific answer, but have you tried contacting LG? Sounds like the problem resides in their software - what software did you install? Shouldn't have needed anything except drivers.
Most storage drives (HDD/optical) work with the drivers built into the OS - it would work out of the box.

Like you said though it probably the LG software bundle.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Try going into device manager and uninstalling the USB Mass Storage Device. Make sure the device is connected to the computer before hand as the OS needs to "see" it. One removed, restart and let the OS reinstall the USB device driver...

That is one possible solution.