Quantcast

Initial Impressions of a '09 Top Fuel's Maiden Voyage

Mar 6, 2009
After arriving a couple days ago, I was able to get out yesterday on my '09 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL. Took it to one of my favorite trails in the Bay Area, Tamarancho Boy Scout Camp.

Used to doing loops up there with my Felt RXC Team, I was in heaven on the Trek. I could actually sit down and pedal instead of being jacked all over the place on my scandium hardtail. I could just hammer through stuff that I had to pick through, and I didn't really notice any loss in power while climbing.

On the ride from the lot in front of Sunshine Bicycles, I did notice a fair amount of bob, especially at lower cadences. But that was quickly put to rest by locking out the suspsension, front and rear.

Descending was a treat. Even though it was muddy (I called Sunshine to confirm that the trails were open, but I don't think I will go up there again that soon after a rain, gotta keep the trails in good condition) the bike handled the terrain incredibly. The O-ring on the shock was pushed nearly to the bottom by then end of my ride, but never once did I feel like I bottomed out the suspension.

The new SID is great. I previously ran the previous SID, Fox Shox Terralogic, and most recently the Magura Durin. The new SID tracked extremely well and was plush but efficient while riding. I could point it to where I wanted to go and not have to worry about the wheel deflecting in some random direction, which was critical with all the wet roots and rocks. The remot lock-out for the shock is great too. Very positive feel when using and easy to reach.

The DT Swiss shock performed well, nothing spectacular (no anti-bob/pro-pedal system). The lock-out worked well, but the remote lever is a bit awkward to use and not very inspiring in function, didn't always release immediately. And its mostly plastic/composite construction doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

XTR drivetrain was what I have come to expect from Shimano. I just works. Plain and simple. I don't have to worry about dialing it in. The shadow XTR rear derailleur did ease my mind when riding through the rock gardens and narrow trees/raised roots of Tamarancho. Its nice to look down and know its OK that you can't see your rear derailleur. The rear rotor, 140mm, performed just fine. Both rotors handled the slop quite well, got a bit noisey at the end of my 90 min ride, but still stopped very well, especially for the bikes maiden voyage

The 2x9 set up worked quite well. My first mountain ride of 09, the two rings up front were more than sufficient. Still bringing my fitness level back up to race readiness, I did use my smaller gears a few times. It was a bit difficult though to gauge how fast I was going compared to my hardtail, since I really don't look much at the bike computer, but pay attention to which gear I am in, well now that is totally different. I did spend more time in the small ring, and also cross chained a bit more than I am used to. Got a bit of noise, but the gears never slipped or threw the chain off.

Tires, changed the tires from the Team Issue Jones that came with the bike. Rode on Kenda Dred Tred 2.1 front 1.8 rear. Wanted something I knew well for the mud. The Kenda's added over half a pound to the wheels.

I have the intended pedals on order, Crankbrothers Twin Ti Candys. For the ride I had my commuter pedals, some ancient Time ATAC Composite pedals. I had Twin Ti Eggbeaters on my hardtail, but I much prefer the feel of the larger platform of the Times, but prefer the engagement of the Eggbeaters. Can't wait for the lighter Candys to get here.

Weight as tested (heavier tires and heavier pedals): 23.2 pounds.

Weight out of the box with Candy C pedals(borrowed them from the shop to get an idea of final weight), Cateye Enduro 2 computer, Bontrager Carbon Cage: 22.5 pounds

Will definitely be shedding some weight by the time Sea Otter rolls arounds.