Quantcast

injured knees

Jul 29, 2009
about a month and a half ago i changed my santa cruz nomad with a black market mob running 32 - 14
shortly thereafter both my knees hurt (and have since despite not riding)
i guess either the lack of rear suspension or the gearing put an excessive load on my joints

does anybody know though - is it more likely to be the gearing or the lack of rear suspension?
im going to see a fysiotherapist, but does anybody on this forum know how to strenghten the whole area?
thanks
rasmus

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
about a month and a half ago i changed my santa cruz nomad with a black market mob running 32 - 14
shortly thereafter both my knees hurt (and have since despite not riding)
i guess either the lack of rear suspension or the gearing put an excessive load on my joints

does anybody know though - is it more likely to be the gearing or the lack of rear suspension?
im going to see a fysiotherapist, but does anybody on this forum know how to strenghten the whole area?
thanks
rasmus
were you jumping the mob? or were you riding it sitting down with the post up high?

32-14 is a strong gear. but not unreasonable. you could bump the rear cog up to 15 for a more medium gear.

most people run their seat pretty low and stand up all the time. completely different riding style than your nomad.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2009
were you jumping the mob? or were you riding it sitting down with the post up high? most people run their seat pretty low and stand up all the time. completely different riding style than your nomad
yes jumping the mob, standing up all the time, with the seat in a position very similar to the picture
completely different riding style that my nomad being the reason why i got the mob

i thought about something else -
count the real culprit be sideway strain?
(i have been trying to hip which i clearly cant do yet)

thanks
rasmus

Paulyd

Monkey
May 15, 2007
Great White North.
Wait so they hurt from riding? Try taking some medecine. Can't remember what it's called, but I believe it's shark cartilage or something. My dad takes it because his knees hurt form when he used to do tiles.

Jul 29, 2009
is that painkiller or remedy? are they recommended by the established medical practice or is it more along alternative wisdom?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
glucosamine and chondroiton are good for sure. but you need to take it daily for a few weeks before they start to work.

also, I would change your gearing to something easier. You don't need extra stress on your knees.

and stretch before and after you ride.

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
you don't describe what kind of pain (there are many ways in which each of the componente a knee is built of can hurt ;P), but I doubt it will be from the rather heavy gearing.
For everybody I know that ever had knee problems, the problem was either too much/heavy shock absorbtion or trying to move the joint in a way not supported aka twisting.

Jul 29, 2009
i dont really know how to describe the pain -
mostly i have had difficulty finding any direction to point my feet in that woundnt cause my knees to hurt on the sides when i sit down
and standing up has given me an impulse to bend my knees slightly - only to feel a pain on the back of the knee instead of on the front
does that tell you anything?

am i right in thinking that trying to do hips could cause twisting?
do hips done correctly incur a sideway force on the knee - or has the vector of forward motion actually changed direction?

thank you for all the input
i have bought a 16t cog, ordered glucosamine and not tried to do hips
i still havent seen the physical therapist, but i will

but i have jumped and it didnt get worse (much to my satisfaction)
but it still hurts a bit and more than lets me relax and just jump

Last edited: