Quantcast

Injury Update

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I spent most of thursday afternoon at the hospital checking in with my orthopedic surgeon, getting lots of x-rays, doing an hour of hand/wrist therapy, scar tissue massage and scheduling a CT Scan for next month.

My worse off wrist is looking good. There appears to be some signs that my bone graft/bone raplacment is starting to grow and fill in the cracks. So, it's looking like I may not lose my scaphoid and that it's trying to repair itself, but that is what the CT is for in four weeks. And, nothing is certain until it heals all the way.

The radius looks great. It's also showing signs of regrowth and the plates and screws appear to not be hindering any movement. I had my external pin removed. Dear god did that not feel good. If any of you haven't experienced this, it's creepy. They just yank it out with a pair of pliars. They swore to me that 99% of the pins slide right out with no problems. I was apparaently part of that other 1%. It took four full force yanks to get it out. Probably because it was through 4 bones. But anyways, yuck!

I was also fortunate enough to get taken out of my full arm cast and be put into a forarm cast. My ligaments and muscles look to be healing nicely and I can now rotate my forarm. All my digets are fully mobile, accept my thumb as it's a direct link to the scaphoid and will not be ready for movement for another 2-4 months, depending on how well it fuses and if there are complications.

My other hand is also doing great. The fracture in the pisiform (the last bone in the proximal row of carpal bones at the base of the hand) is now just a shadow on my x-rays. Three weeks ago you could still see space between the two pieces of bone. So that is good news and I'm cleared to wear my brace just when I'm out in public or working.

So, things are looking good. The thing I'm most stoked about, and I know this is silly, is that for the first time in two months I can take a real shower without being wrapped in plastic and trying to keep my arm dry. My doctors made me a special thermoplast cast that is removable, and now with my pin gone, I can take my arm out of my cast to shower!!!! It's the little things these days.

I also wanted to say thanks to everyone here for the kind words and message you have sent over the last two months. It really makes a huge difference. :)

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
T0mo said:
holy sh1t, what happened? I'm glad everything is healing atleast.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93167
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93680

I had a bad wreck about two months ago. Here are the original threads, just so I don't have to re-type it all!! When I posted the first thread I didn't know yet that I had also broken my left hand. I didn't know it was broken until about 4 weeks ago. I guess the right wrist and hand were so bad I just didn't realize, but my doctor says thats not uncommon. I may also have to go in for an MRI on my knee if it doesn't start behaving. It too has been painful since the accident. But, the worst was my right hand and wrist, and it is looking good so I'm happy about that and thankful.

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
Things are sound up for your healing process. I really hope that the bones continue to heal up. I look forward to reading about a full recovery and you being back on the bike again :thumb:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That's awesome, great to hear that you're healing nicely.

Good luck with your continued recovery!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Awesome to hear Diva. Yah gotta just keep thinkin positive and just tackle the adversities as your capable. i sure know alot about the freedoms you get from each part of healing now. The shower thing and being able to walk without crutches are freedoms you take for granted. i had a freind and she took real good care of me in the beginning when i couldn't hardly do anything with my broken leg, so you learn the value of freinds.
So keep pluggin away and don't get discouraged if it takes longer than you expect, i know i've had to have patience for mine, i wanna be riding on dirt NOW!!!! :D
Also before i broke my leg at Mt. Hood i was driving down with Snacks and Trailhacker and Tacoma Lad. We were all chatting about movies. Snacks and Trailhacker ironically were talking about a survival story "Touching the Void", about a climber who breaks his leg on the mountain. I just checked it out the other day, i rented it, i think i'm gonna go buy it now. If you haven't seen it already you really should check it out, this guy goes thru hell after he breaks his leg.....
Also this is kind of wierd but there's been two football players (Chad Brown/Steve Smith) who broke thier leg just like me, and everytime i see them on the feild or getting hauled off the field in a cart writhing in pain, i laugh. and i think meh you rich musclebound pussies haha. But i wasn't laughin when i saw touching the void movie.
haha sorry bout the rambling.....

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Skookum said:
Awesome to hear Diva. Yah gotta just keep thinkin positive and just tackle the adversities as your capable. i sure know alot about the freedoms you get from each part of healing now. The shower thing and being able to walk without crutches are freedoms you take for granted. i had a freind and she took real good care of me in the beginning when i couldn't hardly do anything with my broken leg, so you learn the value of freinds.
So keep pluggin away and don't get discouraged if it takes longer than you expect, i know i've had to have patience for mine, i wanna be riding on dirt NOW!!!! :D
Also before i broke my leg at Mt. Hood i was driving down with Snacks and Trailhacker and Tacoma Lad. We were all chatting about movies. Snacks and Trailhacker ironically were talking about a survival story "Touching the Void", about a climber who breaks his leg on the mountain. I just checked it out the other day, i rented it, i think i'm gonna go buy it now. If you haven't seen it already you really should check it out, this guy goes thru hell after he breaks his leg.....
Also this is kind of wierd but there's been two football players (Chad Brown/Steve Smith) who broke thier leg just like me, and everytime i see them on the feild or getting hauled off the field in a cart writhing in pain, i laugh. and i think meh you rich musclebound pussies haha. But i wasn't laughin when i saw touching the void movie.
haha sorry bout the rambling.....
It's so nice to be able to converse with people that so clearly understand what it's like to be in this situation. You guys are sweet! Thanks for the encouragment!!

PS-And to keep me occupied for the next few months, I'm slowly collecting the parts for my new bike so it's all ready to go when I can ride again. I'm getting a shiny new Foes FRX to replace the FSR I just sold!