Quantcast

Ink carts are dumb.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I've been perfecting a project in photoshop, printing off multiple copies, and I finish my final, and my stupid printer dies. Won't print AT ALL without a new cartridge...doesn't matter than its still printing okay, it won't let it. I hate inkjets. I want my laser back.

:mumble:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
BigMike said:
Go get a new cartdrige?

it is the final copy, you want it to look good......
Well, it's not exactly for anything important, and I could care less...I wanted to go DJing before heading up to my parents for Fahja's day and now...NO!

This is why I am angry. :)

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I bought an Epson because of the ink lasting longer and individual color cartridges, but the fact that it won't let me print because it's "low" pisses me off. I should hack it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
chicodude said:
Jesus freaking christ.......did this REALLY need to get moved to the tech center......Ugh
Jesus freaking christ...is it REALLY worth your whining about...especially since it wasn't your thread...Ugh

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
chicodude said:
Jesus freaking christ.......did this REALLY need to get moved to the tech center......Ugh
Seriously...this isn't a tech question or anything, just a sad ramble for the lounge...someone's being a bit nazi with the movings lately...oh well.

On a side note, I've been putting my alcohol-related threads in Beer & Food. I'm so proud of myself.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Take the file to a 1 hour photo printer it will look way better printed on their equipment and paper than if you print at home and you don't have to worry about your ink cartridges running out of ink.

After going through 5 ink cartridges a year I ditched my color printer and bought an $80 laser, I've printed a few boxes of paper so far and I've yet to change the toner cartridge, heck if it ever runs out of toner I'll spend the extra $2 and just buy a new printer. Anything that needs color I have printed at Costco. I don't print color screen shots or full color web pages anymore, to be honest I haven't missed color at all. I don't know about Epson ink carts but for the cost of 2 HP carts I paid for my bargain laser printer.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Black cart from orifice max was 25 bucks...the colored ones are cheaper.

It wasn't exactly a "project" that had to look good. If I ever do print anything that needs quality and such, I take it somewhere and have them print it, cause any printer under $300 is going to do a crap job.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Kornphlake said:
Take the file to a 1 hour photo printer it will look way better printed on their equipment and paper than if you print at home and you don't have to worry about your ink cartridges running out of ink.
There is no freakin' way I'm going to run to Costco or any other photo place every single time I want to make a print.

And it doesn't look way better on their equipment, anyway. It looks virtually the same. The difference being that theirs is a little more hardy than mine. blue, I don't know when you last bought a printer, but mine ran $225 IIRC when it was new, and the quality is awesome. HP Photosmart 8450. I hadn't bought a printer in 6 years before this and was absolutely shocked at how good the quality is.

Just saying that a home printer is very useful for a lot of people. When I need to print batches of photos, I do it from some place like Shutterfly, but I do individual prints all the time and it'd be silly to run to the store for every single one.

And chico (+ blue)... :nopity:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
binary visions said:
There is no freakin' way I'm going to run to Costco or any other photo place every single time I want to make a print.

And it doesn't look way better on their equipment, anyway. It looks virtually the same. The difference being that theirs is a little more hardy than mine. blue, I don't know when you last bought a printer, but mine ran $225 IIRC when it was new, and the quality is awesome. HP Photosmart 8450. I hadn't bought a printer in 6 years before this and was absolutely shocked at how good the quality is.

Just saying that a home printer is very useful for a lot of people. When I need to print batches of photos, I do it from some place like Shutterfly, but I do individual prints all the time and it'd be silly to run to the store for every single one.

And chico (+ blue)... :nopity:

I've not printed any art or photos on it yet (so far just homework), but I have an Epson CX4200 that I think was $150...I can't remember, but I didn't think it would do a decent job on anything that needed to be done decently. Maybe I should try it... :think:

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Well maybe a B&W laser printer isn't right for everybody, but for me it was silly to have a color ink jet. Every time I wanted to print one or two photos the stupid ink carts were empty and cost a small fortune. Most of my color ink went to printing directions from mapquest or a bill payment confirmation page which doesn't really need to be in color.

For myself it made a lot more sense to print everything black and white and pay 17 cents for photos. I used to pay a lot more than that when I shot film, figure $4 for a cheap 24 exposure roll and $5 for processing at a grocery store and that's over 35 cents per exposure and I'd end up throwing away 10% or more of the photos. If I actually cared about the photos you could pretty much double the price of film and processing. Spending 17 cents a piece for the photos I like seems pretty affordable. It really isn't any inconvenience to go to a photo lab either as that's what I would have done anyway.