Quantcast

Input needed please.

JDubb

Chimp
Aug 3, 2005
West Texas, El Paso
I have been puttin in a lot of time helping out a local bike shop lately and I came across a brand new KHS XC304 in its box. I can pick it up at a great price. But I do not know a lot about the KHS line. How reliable and strong are they? Would it be a good starter full suspension bike. I don't really have as much money as I would like to put into a full suspsnsion bike right now. But I jus want a rigid and a full susp bike, ya know. So any input from everyone would be greatly appreciated. I jus joined the MTB community this year and love it and would like to become competitive and enter close events. I come from a BMX background racing ABA for years.

Just need some help on if this would be a good entry bike. I ride a Giant right now.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Welcome! As a downhill bike, I would strongly advise against it, but as a beginner bike it looks as though it would be great, though I don't have any experience riding that particular bike (or any KHS). If you know you love biking and want to get competitive, I would suggest keep saving your money and get good on the Giant.

JDubb

Chimp
Aug 3, 2005
West Texas, El Paso
Thanks kinghami3. You are right. I have my eye on some of Scott bikes right now. They are only a couple hundred more than this 2003 KHS bike. So I am gonna keep ridin my Giant for now and save up for the Scott or a Tomac.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
a $400 KHS versus a $1500+ Scott is a BIG difference. In my opinion, the KHS is not worth $400. If that is your budget, save up a little more and get a good hardtail as it will provide you with a much more efficient ride. What kind of riding are you planing on doing?
Depending on what kind of riding you will do:
$0-400 I wouldn't buy it!
$400-1000 I would go for a hardtail
$1500+ I would go for a softy (the Scott looks like a nice offering, but shop around and remember the second hand is always a good option)

JDubb

Chimp
Aug 3, 2005
West Texas, El Paso
Thanks kinghami3. We are Scott dealers, so I get a schweet hook up on all bikes and gear. Plus I found out today that we are goin to also start carryin Intense. The Scott Ransom is preetty schweet. SO I will see what my budget allows. I didn't want to bust out with the plastic and charge, bu8t ya know, some deals poppin right now are too good to say no too. So I might be looking at a Ransom hopefully.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
On the Note of Khs the bike you are looking at is a Jamis rip off........ its not bad for a starter but 400 isnt that awesome of a deal for that paticular ride.......i Ride Khs myself i started on the fxr rage and went to a FR 1500 thye were both very strong but both are a little on the ehavy side........the khs you pictures is very much a CC only bike any hard FR or DH and itll fall apart underneath you. My suggestion is if your wanting a good allaround and your bike shop is going to be carrying Intense go for teh 5.5.....Very nice riding bike there specially for all around riging everything from cc to moderate DH i know taht sounds weird but My shop carries Intense also we sold one with a Trip 8 on it... i was skeptical myself But it really does ride very smooth...but if your looking for a DH then get a DH. Its worth waiting I myself am saving up for the VP free vs trying to get something more from khs i like my 1500 but at same time for same weight from SC i can have 8.5 rear and 8 front on a suspension that climbs with even with a crappy shock.... just so happens it comes with teh Fifth on it.....as far as becoming Intense dealers you should hit them up for a Hook up for starting up ...... Might get a sceaming deal you might not have thought to be possible.... good luck to ya and ride hard
________
Avandia Settlement

Last edited:

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
if you come from a bmx background, look more towards the freeride type of bikes. why not invest in a decent freeride type hardtail? i came from bmx years ago too and got iron horse hardtail. i couldnt be happier. ill move to full squish next year probably. you might want to look at the 4x style bikes too

stubby

Turbo Monkey
Mar 5, 2005
Davidson, NC AKA DURTY THIRTY
Um You guys can lickdonkey bollocks,stfu if you have no experience with a bike. I actually own one of these and it is a great bike, It is light, it wont win you a world cup xc race or anything, but its a great bike to ride, just replace stuff over time, and get a shorter stem, the only complaint i have is the power tools wheelset isnt the strongest, and the suspension needed some oil. It is my dads bike, and i jump it and stuff, it is a great bike, I have more experience besides this bike to let you know. Just a little advice. Plus its almost rootbeer!

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
No!!!! go with a haro it is a lot better the that and it starts at 700 dollars five inches or 5 and a half front and back my friends use it for downhill it is fine, after a while if you really want to get into the sport just change the fork and it would be fine

JDubb

Chimp
Aug 3, 2005
West Texas, El Paso
Well.......thanks for everyones input. But it looks like after looking at everything in my budget. I am saving a few hundred more and gettin one of these.

Its definitely worth the extra money to order it. Have read great reviews on it also. Was lookin at a Tomac, but was told by a local that his and several others cracked at the welds. And I do a lot of hard riding in my local mountains and a broken frame doesn't sound to good to me. Especially on a big drop.

But for now, it looks like this is the one I can get with the budget I have. Unless someone else has the good hookup and can get me a good deal on another bike.