Quantcast

Input on first DH bike purchase?

abseven

Chimp
Jun 10, 2013
Hey there,
Just got into DH/park and tired of paying rental fees, so I'm going to dive in and buy a bike. I'm considering a used 2009 Banshee Wildcard that has been rebuilt and has a pretty solid spec, for $1300. I'm worried that the geo is a bit steep - 67/73 which sounds pretty trail-bike ish to me. There are a bunch of similar bikes available in the same price range...Bottle Rockets, etc.
Now the Specialized Status I is available for $2300 and has gotten killer reviews. Is it worth it to just dive in on a new Status?
Thoughts on single vs double crown forks for someone my size (5'8")?
Coming from XC background with Trek Fuel.
Thanks!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I recommend something completely different, totally out of your budget, and produced by a company I happen to be sponsored by. It blows the whatever bike you were looking at out of the water.

But in seriouslyness, the status is a ridiculously sweet entry level DH bike, most entry level basic DH bikes have crap geometry and you need to spend 6 grand to get something that doesn't actively suck, and the status is one of the few bikes to hit that sweet spot of semi affordable (as far as DH bikes go) and being a sweet ride to boot.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Pretty tough, if not impossible to beat the Status if you're buying new.

If you're going the used route, you can buy something that most likely has nicer parts at a similar price point.

The Wildcard seems like a nice bike, but it sits in that no-man's land where it's probably a little too clumsy for XC and probably not big and slack enough to really rip it on proper DH tracks. It's possible that you want a Swiss Army knife type bike (good at everything, master of nothing) but I think that if you want to ride park, you should get the proper tool, a dual-crown DH sled.

Edit: Just realized that the Status I is a single crown bike, but I still think it should suit your needs both in the geometry and travel departments.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
How many entry level DH bikes have crap geo? Kona, Norco, Mongoose(no 2013 model) Speci and KHS all have pretty decent geo and start at some some stupidly low prices. I have ridden the Status and the KHS whatever and they both felt pretty good but I'd go the Speci out of the two.

abseven

Chimp
Jun 10, 2013
The Wildcard seems like a nice bike, but it sits in that no-man's land where it's probably a little too clumsy for XC and probably not big and slack enough to really rip it on proper DH tracks. It's possible that you want a Swiss Army knife type bike (good at everything, master of nothing) but I think that if you want to ride park, you should get the proper tool, a dual-crown DH sled.
This is a great point and kind of validates my concern with the Wildcard's geo. I already have a trail bike, I absolutely am looking for a gravity-focused rig!

I figure with the Status 1 I could always upgrade to a dual-crown fork eventually. I just found a Spec Demo 8 '12 markdown that is under $3k. That makes the Status 2 redundant ($2900). I wonder if I'm better off with the Status 1 or jumping up to a dual-crown right away.

Last edited:

abseven

Chimp
Jun 10, 2013
Only go full DH bike if you have no intention of throwing bar spins. If you do go full DH bike, never look back.
Yeah I think I'll go more DH style. I can always pick up a much cheaper hardtail jump bike if I get more into the tricks.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Used glory or a sunday, headset cups if the steepness is a problem (at the begining it won't be)

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
I figure with the Status 1 I could always upgrade to a dual-crown fork eventually. I just found a Spec Demo 8 '12 markdown that is under $3k. That makes the Status 2 redundant ($2900). I wonder if I'm better off with the Status 1 or jumping up to a dual-crown right away.
If you can afford the Demo 8, buy that! If you end up going the Status 1 route, use the fork that it comes with. The X-Fusion Vengeance is "only" 170mm, but it's a really nice fork. Meanwhile, you can start scanning Pinkbike for that perfect deal on a used dual crown beast.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
If the price is the same, go with the demo. You'll get a bit nicer fork, wheels and frame.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Don't buy the demo, it'll make you slow and you can't win on it...anymore.

Used sunday, used commencal,used morewood, used anything in your area that fits, new Kona operatdurr, Spec Status

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Call Winter Park/Trestle bike rental shop. They sell off their rental fleet which includes the Status for very reasonable prices. I know someone who bought one from them, it was in pretty good shape and they threw in pads, helmets etc. because they buy new every season. They will ship it out to you so it doesn't really matter where you live. Some people cringe at the thought of a rental, but they probably see more regular maintenance than most people's bikes.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
Don't buy the demo, it'll make you slow and you can't win on it...anymore.

Used sunday, used commencal,used morewood, used anything in your area that fits, new Kona operatdurr, Spec Status
just to add, commie has an outlet store with bikes and frames on sale. depending on what your after. google 'commencal deal of the month' or if they stopped doing that just try 'commencal outlet'

Some people cringe at the thought of a rental, but they probably see more regular maintenance than most people's bikes.
that would be I ^__^

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I'd probably stay away from a used late model Kona, even in Oz they are cracking and we don't even have mountains.