Quantcast

Insects!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Took a few pictures today at a park nearby, thought these two insects were cool.

I've always liked pictures of bugs... anyone have any good ones?

Gusitar

Chimp
Sep 13, 2001
the BIG cheese said:
Gusitar, are they yours? Beautiful nature work.....aint them louisiane swamps purdy?
I wish! No, I've had an SLR for less than a year and Ronnie has been shooting for over thirty years. My stuff is just starting out. I have a bunch of pics in storage that haven't hit the digital darkroom yet. I also need to come up with some ca$h for bigger and faster glass for the Canon. So much to get out of bed for; I'll rest when I die. :thumb:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Gusitar said:
Your. . . . :o: :stupid:
Huh? What does that mean?

Nice picture there. Can't wait to pick up an SLR - the working distance when shooting macro with my F717 becomes literally 2-3cm.

No money for it at the moment, though :(.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
firetoole said:
I just got some sweet macro shots of some big spiders I will try to post them after I get them developed (I'm still a purist)
:thumb: I'd love to see them.

What are you shooting macro with? My goal within the next year or two will be a D70 (or equivalent if Nikon replaces it), kit 18-70 lens, plus two lenses: a wide range telephoto (Sigma 80-400 OS, Nikon 80-400 VR), and a good sized macro lens that'll give me some decent working distance. I love shooting macros of bugs but the working distance on the F717 is simply too small - I hunted that green guy all day before I finally found one that would let me close enough to take a shot before flying away.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Toshi said:
here are a few that i've snapped
Very nice, Toshi! :thumb:

sigma 180 macro
:drool:

What's the working distance like for small insects? And is the size/weight penalty worth it - that is, would you buy the same lens over again or would you go with something smaller and deal with the shorter working distance? Say, a 90mm?

Gusitar

Chimp
Sep 13, 2001
binary visions said:
Huh? What does that mean?
I used the contraction of 'you are' instead of 'your' in my previous post; just a correction post. I certainly didn't want a brain fart to go unnoticed ;)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
binary visions said:
:drool:

What's the working distance like for small insects? And is the size/weight penalty worth it - that is, would you buy the same lens over again or would you go with something smaller and deal with the shorter working distance? Say, a 90mm?
i think the rule is that 1:1 for macro lenses comes at 25 times the focal length. in any case for my 180mm macro 1:1 is at 45 cm, which is a comfortable distance. i think the lens is great since it also serves as a reasonably fast (f/3.5) telephoto, sparing me from covering that range.

non-macro shot with the 180: