Quantcast

Inserts to slacken headtube

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
What where those inserts that would slacked a head angle? I remember seeing them here.

Would you be able to slap them into a nomad with a 1.5 HA to make it more of a mini DH bike? Is that possible?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Ready to ride, makes the ones that I have. They only make 1* for 5" head tubes and 1.5* for 4.625" tubes. They have a simple web order form and take several payment methods: http://www.readytoridecycles.co.uk/offset-headcups-65-c.asp They are well made, come with good instructions, and pretty simple to instal.

K9 industries claims to make several variations for different HT lengths and different angle changes (they are/have been 'in process' of making LOTS of things for many years, yet I have never seen any product from them actually delivered). Bearings are drop in (not press fit like the e-13 or RTR adapters)....They are also twice the price of the RTR parts, and they do not list avaiability nor have any way to order on line: http://www.k9industries.com/Knine/Reducer.html

You would need to figure your headtube length (being within 1/4 inch should not cause a problem) and what kind of angle change you want.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Last edited:

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Have been using the K9 cups for a couple of weeks on a sunday, i can definetly recomend K9, awesome coustomer service and fast delivery. Took about a week from first contact to product in the mail (uk to sweden)

samdemo

Chimp
Aug 8, 2007
I've recently spoken with RTRcycles and they are in the process of getting more offset cups in stock. I think they are hoping to have 1*,1.5* and 2* in a couple of different HT lengths in stock for some time in Jan. They also said, if need be, they would likely be adding custom cups for one off applications for just a slight up charge. Customer service seems great so far, but i just ordered a couple of days ago.....and have yet to recieve the cups.

AzN_devil

Monkey
Jun 18, 2009
Hong Kong
i got a pair from ready to ride cycles half a year ago for my old blindside...made it a lot better....
the quality is good but bearing clearance was a bit tight...i had to sorta hammer the bearing in...

thinking of putting them on my 951 just like how sicklines did it

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I can name a number of tapered headtube frame that would benefit from some cups to slacken the HA.
My buddy made -1.5° cups for his Trek. It is a little tricky and he had to run a standard 1 1/8 headset on the top to have enough room to offset but it works and feels awesome on that bike.

Hard to see with such a bad photo

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Don't get hope in front - it's expensive and gives you nothing except matching colours but at that budget you won't get 823 or stans laced to anything unless you buy used. I've got a pair of used 823's in great condition for 80$ (for both of them) so it's good to look around.

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
BuckoW - thats a good, simple solution to the 'problem' of semi-integrated upper tapered headtubes.

AzNDevil - Our cups were made within tolerances specified on Cane Creeks technical manuals for this type of headset / bearing - they are tight i agree, the best way to install is pop them in a vice and they will press straight home with no problems.

- We will have more sizes available in the new year and were currently in the process of having some giant glory (or any tapered headtube using 41mm id semi-integrated top) proto's made up at +-1.5deg, so you should have an option to slacken your 2010 glory to 64deg..... Rick

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
- We will have more sizes available in the new year and were currently in the process of having some giant glory (or any tapered headtube using 41mm id semi-integrated top) proto's made up at +-1.5deg, so you should have an option to slacken your 2010 glory to 64deg..... Rick
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
"- We will have more sizes available in the new year and were currently in the process of having some giant glory (or any tapered headtube using 41mm id semi-integrated top) proto's made up at +-1.5deg, so you should have an option to slacken your 2010 glory to 64deg..... Rick"

count me in as a future customer for the 2010 Giant glory

Last edited:

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
The only problem you will run into is the headtube size. I have considered it for my nomad. I have a large which has a 5.1" headtube so i was thinking you could take it to a bike shop and face the headtube down 0.05" on the top and bottom.

it would be sick to have a 65ish HA on a nomad

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
With a 5.1" HT you can use cups designed for 5.00" headtubes with no problems at all (we do a -1deg or the K9 ones for -2deg)

Its only 2.54mm, the cups would align just fine and there would be no trade-off in bearing life etc.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
What where those inserts that would slacked a head angle? I remember seeing them here.

Would you be able to slap them into a nomad with a 1.5 HA to make it more of a mini DH bike? Is that possible?
Give Tobler a call at the e*thirteen office. I think that we have some of the original e13 ones hanging around from the 2006 World Cup season. He may be able to hook it up.