Quantcast

Inside Bachmann's Brain

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Yeah, I mean, it's so pervasive, I get sick of hearing about all these conservatives living among the poor and providing them opportunities.
Based on conversations with some of my conservative thinking friends, the conservative thought process for the non Tea Tard is; Tax Reductions + Multiplier Effect = The Little People Win (Derp)

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Yeah, I mean, it's so pervasive, I get sick of hearing about all these conservatives living among the poor and providing them opportunities.
you know conservatives: all they do is hire PR firms to follow them through the muck & mire of the lower 5th ward for when they trot out their most recent negro friends
I find the creation of schools like Regent University (founded by Pat Robertson) very disturbing.
and how do you feel about parochial schools, madrassas, or saudi funded schools?
There is a large group of evangelicals and other religious quacks out there that are systematically procuring money through all sorts of business ventures (the family channel anyone?) specifically to create educational institutions and avenues that allow them to change US policy in their favor. Really, it is not all that different from the Taliban's tactics in the least.
which, as we all know, results in clitorectomies, beheddings, & systematic subjugation of their kind, all converted at the tip of the spear.

we know this to be true.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
I find the creation of schools like Regent University (founded by Pat Robertson) very disturbing. There is a large group of evangelicals and other religious quacks out there that are systematically procuring money through all sorts of business ventures (the family channel anyone?) specifically to create educational institutions and avenues that allow them to change US policy in their favor. Really, it is not all that different from the Taliban's tactics in the least.
That’s exactly my point. I don’t find those schools disturbing per se, just like I wouldn’t have a problem with say conservative Islamic schools, or JW schools, etc.

I find disturbing the perceived Biblical mandate to change US policy/law and fill various/all political offices per said mandate. This has ZERO substantiation in the Scriptures.

I think there’s a fine line between someone of faith running for and holding office, and someone of faith running/holding said office because they were mandated by God to ensure the US gov’t would be filled with Christians.

I’m listening to the book “Jesus wants to save Christians” by Rob Bell and Don Golden. One of the phrases early on in the book that I found interested was: “a Christian should get very nervous when the flag and the Bible start holding hands.”

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
That’s exactly my point. I don’t find those schools disturbing per se, just like I wouldn’t have a problem with say conservative Islamic schools, or JW schools, etc.

I find disturbing the perceived Biblical mandate to change US policy/law and fill various/all political offices per said mandate. This has ZERO substantiation in the Scriptures.

I think there’s a fine line between someone of faith running for and holding office, and someone of faith running/holding said office because they were mandated by God to ensure the US gov’t would be filled with Christians.

I’m listening to the book “Jesus wants to save Christians” by Rob Bell and Don Golden. One of the phrases early on in the book that I found interested was: “a Christian should get very nervous when the flag and the Bible start holding hands.”
I suppose I could have worded it better. I'm not opposed to religious/educational institutions, however I raise a brow when a religious leader preaches towards changing policy and law and also creates educational outlets that specifically cater towards that goal. I think the intent at that point is pretty transparent.

Re: Stinkle - I'm aware that you're trolling, but lets not kid ourselves. If Pat Robertson was unlucky enough to slide out of a vagina say a brown person in Afghanistan, I'm sure he wouldn't be responsible for Oxford V2.0.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Yea, but will the chicks do anything besides missionary?
The religious chicks I 'met' in my prior life would let you get away with 10x anybody else. I'm not sure why, but I have a feeling that it's decades of repression letting free in a few hours.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
of course, this is nothing more than a "logical" extension of living out your faith in ever aspect of your life
i'm sure they would defend it that way
I’m listening to the book “Jesus wants to save Christians” by Rob Bell and Don Golden.
why play w/ your salvation?
I'm not opposed to religious/educational institutions, however I raise a brow when a religious leader preaches towards changing policy and law and also creates educational outlets that specifically cater towards that goal. I think the intent at that point is pretty transparent.
the way i read this, you have a problem w/ "the free exercise thereof".

is that what you're saying? i fully acknowledge you are allowed to think this; just want to get it on record

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
of course, this is nothing more than a "logical" extension of living out your faith in ever aspect of your life
the way i read this, you have a problem w/ "the free exercise thereof".

is that what you're saying? i fully acknowledge you are allowed to think this; just want to get it on record
I have no problem with "the free exercise thereof", but will state that I think that's a simple minded blanket statement thrown around too often by theological types.

Warren Jeffs says hi.

Last edited:

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
which, as we all know, results in clitorectomies, beheddings, & systematic subjugation of their kind, all converted at the tip of the spear.

we know this to be true.
In practice no, but in theory they are strikingly similar. Two systems with a very skewed view of their respective religion, desiring control over their country so they can enact various laws to ensure the population adheres to their unique/skewed view of their faith. You know things like a desire to control the media and what people see/hear, criminalizing specific behaviors, restricting/banning/criminalizing other competing religions, prohibiting free speech, etc……..

I’m sure they would. However they aren’t shy about articulating their desire to run for office as some sort of divine mandate to ensure the US is Christian nation. Again, there is no Biblical justification for this desire.

I can’t remember any other Christian politicians who are so open about their “mandate” from God.

It’s fun playing with “fire”…………..

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I can’t remember any other Christian politicians who are so open about their “mandate” from God.
cherry picked parts of Manifest Destiny said:
John L. O'Sullivan coined the exact term "Manifest Destiny" in the July/August 1845 issue of the United States Magazine and Democratic Review in an article titled "Annexation."[1][2] It was primarily used by Democrats to support the expansion plans of the Polk Administration

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Congratulations. You've come full circle since the original post. Did you click on my link and see who David Frum, and then I, were quoting? :rofl:
Not at all. Why would I actually do research? That's what you're for!

Though it does explain why some of the pieces were so familiar... Anyways, wasn't this about Newsweek?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Not at all. Why would I actually do research? That's what you're for!

Though it does explain why some of the pieces were so familiar... Anyways, wasn't this about Newsweek?
No, that's another thread. This was indirectly about that very New Yorker profile via David Frum.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Her eyes roll up into the back of her head like a Great White shark... just saying.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Haha.

Tea party less popular than atheists and Muslims

Early tea partiers were described as "nonpartisan political neophytes," Campbell and Putnam write, but their findings showed that tea partiers were "highly partisan Republicans" who were more likely than others to have contacted government officials.

"They are overwhelmingly white, but even compared to other white Republicans, they had a low regard for immigrants and blacks long before Barack Obama was president, and they still do," they went on..

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
That NY Times article had some intertesting bits:

Next to being a Republican, the strongest predictor of being a Tea Party supporter today was a desire, back in 2006, to see religion play a prominent role in politics. And Tea Partiers continue to hold these views: they seek “deeply religious” elected officials, approve of religious leaders’ engaging in politics and want religion brought into political debates. The Tea Party’s generals may say their overriding concern is a smaller government, but not their rank and file, who are more concerned about putting God in government.
It's interesting to see an actual study that linked the two.........

Yet it is precisely this infusion of religion into politics that most Americans increasingly oppose. While over the last five years Americans have become slightly more conservative economically, they have swung even further in opposition to mingling religion and politics. It thus makes sense that the Tea Party ranks alongside the Christian Right in unpopularity.
Let's hope that opposition continues to increase.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Bitch be crazy. Pat Robertson is going to get her for copy right infringement.

"I don't know how much God has to do to get the attention of the politicians. We've had an earthquake; we've had a hurricane. He said, 'Are you going to start listening to me here?' Listen to the American people because the American people are roaring right now. They know government is on a morbid obesity diet and we've got to rein in the spending."

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Bachmann and Beck: Homies forever.

How many warnings do you think you’re going to get, and how many warnings do you deserve? This hurricane that is coming thorough the East Coast, for anyone who’s in the East Coast and has been listening to me say ‘Food storage!’ ‘Be prepared!’ […] If you’ve waited, this hurricane is a blessing. It is a blessing. It is God reminding you — as was the earthquake last week — it’s God reminding you you’re not in control.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Unfortunately the leaders of the right still have a way to go to meet their constituents:

But what's got God all riled up to want to speed up the End of Days? One caller to The Rusty Humphries Show — enigmatically introduced as just Thomas — puts all the blame on one guy: "I was justing thinking, with all these earthquakes and this hurricane headed toward the North, it's clear that God is pissed at Obama."