Quantcast

Insole Recommendations

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Not sure where to post this exactly...

I'm looking for some new insoles to replace the crappy factory ones in my new bont shoes. I like having arch support, but when I put my giro insoles into the bonts, I ended up with severe knee pain. Switching to the factory ones solved the problem. SO- I need some arch support, but maybe not as much as the giros give or maybe in a different style...the giros have some support beneath the arch and the bonts have a curved sole that does offer some arch support.

Anyways, I'm looking at icebug slims or Sole performance thins. Any suggestions?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've only got experience with insulated insoles for winter riding. Do they have to be cycling specific insoles or would any shoe insoles work? My dad has a lot of problems with his feet and needs some arch support, I can inquire with him what he uses. But he did go through a lot of trial and error before he found what works for him. I suspect you'll have to try a few before you land on something that works.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Superfeet. Done.
So apparently Superfeet arch support is very low- ie not high enough to do anything.

I scooped up the icebugs but they have a huge metatarsal pad that I'm not too sure about. It's supposed to relieve pain, but right now it's causing pain. I'm hoping that as I start to ramp up training I'll get a better idea of whether it'll work for me. The arch support is bang on.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I was recommended the carbon based on bike shoe/low volume setup...most user reviews say their arch support is poor. I have medium/30mm arches.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So like...do feet break in? My icebugs no longer cause me pain. I'm starting training in earnest so the next few weeks will be revealing, but I couldn't stand a 20m ride when I got them and now they seem OK. I haven't found a good replacement other than the bontrager/spec insoles...everything else is unobtanium (ergon, sofsoles, sq lab)