Quantcast

inspired by BS's gold tooth thread

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I realize I'm getting old... but standards for "working with the public" attire have really dropped.

I worked at a hotel cleaning rooms one summer....well part of one summer...I was a chamber maid.... yes yes...I know... very funny.

Anyway, at this time I was a rebelious teen and had an earring....GASP!! Even though I had no contact with the guests, I was forced to remove it while working. And now I just remembered, I got fired from a summer job because I refused to cut my hair...and it wasn't even long! It was above the collar

Fast forward a couple of decades: I was at Toys R Us a little while back. Almost ALL of the people working the cash had either a piercing in their face, or a very large and exposed tattoo.... and no-one was older than 19. These kids have DIRECT contact with the public, and represent a fairly large corporation...why are they allowed to "express their individuality" or whatever.... I mean some of them were jsut downright offensive!

I know...I'm old...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I just finished a contract that "required" me to wear shirts with collars and non-jean type pants. I'm a software engineer that is used to shorts, geeks shirts I got for free, and flip flops. I no longer wear ear rings and don't have any tattoos.

That being said, I was PISSED when my son came over for a visit with a 6 inch Social D tattoo on his forearm. Being one of my favorite bands of all times, even I know that something like that will be frowned on by a good number of employers. Besides, he hardly even knows who they are!

Kids these days, shees. On a lighter note, I now have a new job where flip flops are the norm :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
jimmydean said:
I just finished a contract that "required" me to wear shirts with collars and non-jean type pants. I'm a software engineer that is used to shorts, geeks shirts I got for free, and flip flops. I no longer wear ear rings and don't have any tattoos.

That being said, I was PISSED when my son came over for a visit with a 6 inch Social D tattoo on his forearm. Being one of my favorite bands of all times, even I know that something like that will be frowned on by a good number of employers. Besides, he hardly even knows who they are!

Kids these days, shees. On a lighter note, I now have a new job where flip flops are the norm :D

I seriously want to invest in the tattoo removal industry. I predict huge profits.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Id just like a little bit of politeness these days, honestly. Dont be pissed at me that you hate your job and worthless life.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
on a similar note, i work at a reputable resteraunt, and probably 90% of the kitchen staff (most of whom are visable from the front of the resteraunt) have numerous tattoos and/or piercing(s). just seemed a bit weird to me.

i dont have any tats, or piercings, and we are only required to wear a button up white chef shirt over out normal clothing. i dont think air jordans would be a good choice though, because the floors are often wet. non-slip kitchen shoes are best.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Westy said:
I seriously want to invest in the tattoo removal industry. I predict huge profits.
My brother makes about $400 per hour for his world famous freehand work. He jokes about switching to removal in a few years to offer additional services to his existing client base.

To my sons credit, he did get a "Sheriff" badge in cartoon fashon on his chest. It's funny, I'll give him that much.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I guess I have been lucky. I was able to get away with having hair past the middle of my back from 1994-01 and having a Dan Haggerty beard from 1994-1997. I had to remove the beard at a job in CO.

You can also have fun with your co-workers when you go to lunch with almost two feet of hair and come back with none.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
dirtjumpP.1 said:
on a similar note, i work at a reputable resteraunt, and probably 90% of the kitchen staff (most of whom are visable from the front of the resteraunt) have numerous tattoos and/or piercing(s). just seemed a bit weird to me.

Cooks are some of the most haggard dudes ever. Lots of them have tattoos and piercings. When I cooked I had a beard for a while, and the owners never said anything, but I always kept it neat.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i have a septum ring ( as most of you jackasses already know by smart ass comments made anytime a picture of me makes it to the board.) I wear it to work. never take it out really unless i go to my moms because she doesn't like it and i don't like to hear her gripe.

its funny the different reactions i get. some people comment directly to my face. some pull my managers aside, comment on how tacky it is, and how they feel i should take it out.(thanks for your opinion asshole if i wanted it i would have asked), so people are intrigued by it and tell me all about the piercing that their kids come home with.

if you would get offended by someone's facial jewelry for the 2 minutes you have to spend while they ring up toys for you, you are getting old, and you shouldn't leave your house anymore.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
BurlyShirley said:
Id just like a little bit of politeness these days, honestly. Dont be pissed at me that you hate your job and worthless life.
I agree. I really don't care what they wear or what the have hanging from their faces as long as I can get some goddamn COURTESY. Unfortunately, getting friendly, helpful service is a rarity.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I Are Baboon said:
I agree. I really don't care what they wear or what the have hanging from their faces as long as I can get some goddamn COURTESY. Unfortunately, getting friendly, helpful service is a rarity.
yes good service can change an opinion of a tatooed or pierced person quickly. I dont mind any of that stuff, its just the future. when our granfathers were young a pierced ear was overboard.. i have to admit.. sometimes people with a lot of facial piercings get to me.. they start to look like a pincushion

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I Are Baboon said:

THIS IS NOT DIRECTED TOWARDS YOU IRB. Just wanted to use your quote. i'm sure you are pleasant towards everyone or MBC would have your ass. :)

everyone just remember courtesy goes both ways. I couldn't care less that you've had a bad day at work, got a flat on the way home, your husband/wife is cheating on you, your kids are sick etc. I am here to get your food and get you on your way asap. don't take out your bad day on me, or any of of my co-workers just because you won't ever see us again or because we stand behind a food service counter which automatically labels us as punching bags for quite a few assholes daily. we don't get paid enough to put up with random bull**** i promise you. we are food service employees, not 3 minute therapy sessions.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
laura said:
everyone just remember courtesy goes both ways.
Oh, I completely agree. But I am a very friendly person and am always courteous to people, so I get frustrated when I get attitude.

Customers who treat employees like crap don't deserve good service, IMO. :)

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I used to work at a reatil place, we had to wear dress pants/shoes/dress shirt & tie.......one time I was wriiten up by 2nd highest manager for not having my tie tied (it was on but not tied and this was BEFORE the store opened), now I go there and I dont see any ties, I do see employeees wearing pretty much anything including stuff that looks like pj's

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
douglas said:
I used to work at a reatil place, we had to wear dress pants/shoes/dress shirt & tie.......one time I was wriiten up by 2nd highest manager for not having my tie tied (it was on but not tied and this was BEFORE the store opened), now I go there and I dont see any ties, I do see employeees wearing pretty much anything including stuff that looks like pj's
:stupid:

Pretty much the same thing happened to me, that was the worst job ever.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I Are Baboon said:
from my generalized experience, america is at the PINNACLE of customer service.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
laura said:
if you would get offended by someone's facial jewelry for the 2 minutes you have to spend while they ring up toys for you, you are getting old, and you shouldn't leave your house anymore.
:stupid:

Stay home, leave the fun to us "younger" folks.
narlus said:
That was something that amazed me in Ireland... no customer service. I thought it was weird.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
narlus said:
This is true. Service in the US is amazing. It stinks in Quebec...especially when you're english.

But I'm sorry..... when you are working for the man in a retail environment...or fast food for that matter, you are not a human being. you are a drone. You have no right to individuality. piercings and all that are not cool. People need to know their place.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
MMike said:
This is true. Service in the US is amazing. It stinks in Quebec...especially when you're english.

But I'm sorry..... when you are working for the man in a retail environment...or fast food for that matter, you are not a human being. you are a drone. You have no right to individuality. piercings and all that are not cool. People need to know their place.
Well...some should speak for themselves...:angry:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
MMike said:
Seriously. I knew my place when I was a teen in a crappy job. I knew my time would come. And it did
Yep, now instead of getting fired for your appearance you get canned because you are an asshole.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Ciaran said:
That was something that amazed me in Ireland... no customer service. I thought it was weird.
it's not just ireland...europe in general is like that. for all you whiners about customer service, i invite you to try to get internet service in Dublin. the fun part was after the red tape/rigamarole of testing the phone lines/ensuring the phone bill was in the right name/scheduling an appt (all of which took about 3 weeks, and you'd get a different answer each time you called Eircom), the guy who wired up the DSL didn't know anything about computers, and left w/o testing it. so we had the joy of calling customer service (for which we were charged) to test the settings and activate the service.

:dead:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
narlus said:
it's not just ireland...europe in general is like that. for all you whiners about customer service, i invite you to try to get internet service in Dublin. the fun part was after the red tape/rigamarole of testing the phone lines/ensuring the phone bill was in the right name/scheduling an appt (all of which took about 3 weeks, and you'd get a different answer each time you called Eircom), the guy who wired up the DSL didn't know anything about computers, and left w/o testing it. so we had the joy of calling customer service (for which we charged) to test the settings and activate the service.

Internet cafes are verrrrrry popular in Dublin. :D

On that note, I can't wait to travel again and see more of the world and it's people. Fun fun FUN!!!

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
narlus said:
it's not just ireland...europe in general is like that. for all you whiners about customer service, i invite you to try to get internet service in Dublin. the fun part was after the red tape/rigamarole of testing the phone lines/ensuring the phone bill was in the right name/scheduling an appt (all of which took about 3 weeks, and you'd get a different answer each time you called Eircom), the guy who wired up the DSL didn't know anything about computers, and left w/o testing it. so we had the joy of calling customer service (for which we were charged) to test the settings and activate the service.

This type of crap drove me crazy while living in NL. Everywhere you turned there was red-tape and a lame employee telling you something was 'impossible'.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Westy said:
Yep, now instead of getting fired for your appearance you get canned because you are an asshole.

Awwww...you trying to hurt my feelings? You'll have to do better than that.

But teens need to learn that not everything is about them. Sometimes they need to do what they are told. They can wear their piercings on their own time.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
MMike said:

But teens need to learn that not everything is about them. Sometimes they need to do what they are told. They can wear their piercings on their own time.
You have feelings?

Either way I don't use the term asshole as an insult, almost a term of respect. Now a @#%ing asshole is not a good thing.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
MMike said:

wrong sir, i think it is you that needs to learn that not everything is about you. obviously those kids can wear piercings to work, or they wouldn't be doing it. i think if you feel so strongly about it, you should boycott the store. stage a protest demanding that minimum wage job holders be forced to dress nicely daily. surely if they were made to buy suits and ties for work they wouldn't be able to afford tacky and offensive body art.

What is unfortunate is that standards for dress everywhere (not just in the work place) have dropped dramatically. I am far ore offended by a family in jogging suits going out to eat for dinner than i am by piercings but i am biased. People are slowly turning into cheaply dressed slobs everywhere.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
dan-o said:
This type of crap drove me crazy while living in NL. Everywhere you turned there was red-tape and a lame employee telling you something was 'impossible'.
Psst....Go to southeast asia...Thailand to be specific, the people are awesome and so is the service, even at hole in the wall restuarants! It's a great place to go.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Secret Squirrel said:
Psst....Go to southeast asia...Thailand to be specific, the people are awesome and so is the service, even at hole in the wall restuarants! It's a great place to go.
You speak the truth, the CS in Asia is great with Thailand being my favorite in terms of people.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
laura said:
What is unfortunate is that standards for dress everywhere (not just in the work place) have dropped dramatically. I am far ore offended by a family in jogging suits going out to eat for dinner than i am by piercings but i am biased. People are slowly turning into cheaply dressed slobs everywhere.
I pretty much agree with this. People [Americans] in general have become slobs. Plain and simple. There is a significant difference between an individual who wears sandles, tattered shorts, and a dirty t-shirt to a nice restaurant (or on the job) and an individual who dresses nicely, is clean, and has a tatoo on their forearm and a nose ring. The first does not care about their appearance while the second takes pride in themselves. It is true that first impressions and physical demeanor go a long way in presenting one's self, unfortunately many people mis-interpret these visual cues and judge by these factors alone.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
narlus said:
...europe in general is like that.
Spain seems pretty good with the customer service. I went there for two weeks knowing little more spanish than "donde esta el bano?" and "mas cervas por favor" and managed to hitchhike across the country without getting killed or kidnapped by Basques and was generally treated very well everywhere I went.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
laura said:
Actually I think they should get out more, maybe then they will realize there is some diversity to the world and learn to deal.