Quantcast

Installed new starnut. Did this...

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
So I think its a 2017 Pike. 27.5 non boost. Prob can't repress with retaining compound? Am I buying new CSU? No sign of an email address to get in touch w SRAM, bought used not really expecting any help. Was setting new star nut.

Attachments

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
What did you hit it with???

To be honest if you managed to knock it loose with starnut installation kind of taps, I'd say you were gonna have CSU issues shortly anyway.

You could coat it in Loctite 609 bearing retainer and bang it back in, but I'm not sure I'd ever trust that CSU to not have issues going forward.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
Thought about repress, prob not good idea. Hardest part sifting thru endless possibilities of PIKE CSU combinations. Later years reverse compatible?

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
Didn't pound in too hard, regardless any one able to tell me if later years say 2018 are backwards compatible?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Didn't pound in too hard, regardless any one able to tell me if later years say 2018 are backwards compatible?
CSU probably is as long as it's not BOOOst.

Although the cost of a new CSU is probably approaching what you paid secondhand for the fork.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
green lloctite sleeve retainer , we use it on barrels and supressors...it works with piston sleeves too..

just a dab around it tap it back into place and when doing head set go overtight and let sit overnight...back off next day set bearing preload...

disclaimer do so at your own risk I don't Assume any responsibility for such thoughts outloud, or such lack of common sense and patients to have it repaired and just want to ride..lol

Whatever I'd do it. And check it for looseness here and there...its press fit it has a flange to bottom out on...as long as it doesn't have side to side play id rock it...

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
My Kleins were held together with green loctite, stayed strong for years. (Headsets, steer tube, bb spindle).
As long as we are on the subject, always support your cpu/steer tube on a vise or the corner of a bench when installing a star nut.
Word to yo mama

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My Kleins were held together with green loctite, stayed strong for years. (Headsets, steer tube, bb spindle).
As long as we are on the subject, always support your cpu/steer tube on a vise or the corner of a bench when installing a star nut.
Word to yo mama

I just use a properly calibrated hammer.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
green lloctite sleeve retainer , we use it on barrels and supressors...it works with piston sleeves too..

just a dab around it tap it back into place and when doing head set go overtight and let sit overnight...back off next day set bearing preload...

disclaimer do so at your own risk I don't Assume any responsibility for such thoughts outloud, or such lack of common sense and patients to have it repaired and just want to ride..lol

Whatever I'd do it. And check it for looseness here and there...its press fit it has a flange to bottom out on...as long as it doesn't have side to side play id rock it...
But if it rotates
He's gonna have a bad time

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
But if it rotates
I had a buddy with this issue on an old Shiver single crown. And it happened repeatedly when he removed the fork for servicing or whatever. And the thought never occurred to him that he would lose steering if it rotated, until like 12 months of riding later when someone mentioned it to him. He stopped riding it after that.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
But if it rotates
I'd rock green loctite especially if its still semi press fit ...green loctite is extremely nasty stuff and if there's still a press bind I'd have no issue rocking it..
I repressed one back years ago, rode the hell out of it and that was with no green loctite..

Now if they had a nurled end that would be even better..

But yes if it Wallows then I'd not do it...that I agree on.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I am also supporting the motion of pressing it in again. But do not use a hammer, that will widen the crown and the steerer will not fit right anymore.
Use a pipe with a larger outer diameter than what the crown race of your steerer tube is and longer than it is as well. Some crown race tools work for that. Put it over the steerer tube and rest it against the top of the crown, use a threaded rod, nuts and washers to press the steerer in again. You can use a headset press for this if you have one and it is long enough.
I would put the steerer tube in the freezer for a couple of hours before getting started and leave the crown in a warm place or heat it up (carefully!) with a hot air gun. Should work w/o, but if you want to make sure use one of the loctites recommended above.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Just press it back in and drill a couple of holes for roll pins and bang 'em in, good enough for Kowa............

Steerers that rotate in the crown are no fun, buy a new CSU.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Doesn’t gorilla tape eventually harden to an impossibly strong epoxy?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Not sure how the fork was being held while you were banging in the star nut. But when I bang my forks...err...you know what I mean. I put the crown on the corner of my workbench, so it kinda holds that steerer and crown into place and you can just bang away. Good for both star nuts and lower headset cups.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
Was using bike stand, guess I need to support with something. Going to remove lowers, use some green retaining compound and use arbor press to relocate steerer.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Where was the bike stand clamped? I don't see how that happens unless you were supporting the crown and not the steer tube.

I think you know what SRAM would say.

Regardless, if you really plan to keep riding it, may I suggest a full-face helmet from now on?

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
I got an arbor press in my shop, ordered some retaining compound. Am willing to guinea pig this sucka for the good of the working man.... what I'm telling myself.