Quantcast

Installed new starnut. Did this...

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
Sacrifice. Next question for the engineers, safer to completely remove steerer and prep both surfaces with retaining compound or treat what is exposed and press back in?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
So no offense to you SinatorJ, no idea who you are or how you get rid of parts, but suff like this is just one reason I never want to buy anything used. :fie:

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sacrifice. Next question for the engineers, safer to completely remove steerer and prep both surfaces with retaining compound or treat what is exposed and press back in?
I'd follow the directions for the retaining compound, which most likely says to clean the surface. I'd also get some dry ice and get that steerer nice and chilly, perhaps warm the crown with a hair dryer.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yes.

I'd follow the directions for the retaining compound, which most likely says to clean the surface. I'd also get some dry ice and get that steerer nice and chilly, perhaps warm the crown with a hair dryer.

also yes.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
From what I read from the Ducan bloke in NZ that fixes forks the more munted they are the better the retaining compound works as it has some room and bonds better to the rough surfaces.

If you are going to leave it as is and press it back it with retainer on it I'd be tempted to give the inside of the steerer a quick hit with some freeze spray just before you press it in.
I'm not an engineer, but I do work at a place that does some seriously ghetto shit.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Marzoocchi did this on my Monster back in the day.
A dual crown fork would be a lot safer though. At least the top crown would do something.

From memory my OG Marz Z1 Bomber single-crown had pinchbolts holding the steerer in as well as the fork stanchions.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
A dual crown fork would be a lot safer though. At least the top crown would do something.

From memory my OG Marz Z1 Bomber single-crown had pinchbolts holding the steerer in as well as the fork stanchions.
Going back on Hard tail. Prob will see much easier life since I got my new meta tr

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
MRP also replaces steerers in their forks, might be worth calling them too.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
Ok. 3 rides in since I re pressed steerer. Went in smoothly with green loc tite sleeve retainer. Used Box components headset bolt kit. Feels better than before. Maybe steerer has been loose for while?

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Not really feelin like having a bar disintegrate on me. I like my face way it is.
I snapped a customer's Schmolke carbon bar when he asked me to feel his suspension fork and I apparently pushed down too hard. I weigh 170lb and he was easily 25lbs heavier. I just looked up at him with half the bar in my hand and said, "I think I just saved your life."