Quantcast

Installing 10mm bolt on axle

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
I just picked up a 10mm bolt on axle for my rear wheel. The hub is an XT and I am not quite sure how to install it. Anyone want to give me a step by step as to how to switch out the stock QR for this new axle?

Jeff 151

Monkey
Sep 25, 2004
DeezBay, Cali
I made this same switch on my XT hub. It's balls easy, don't get psyched out. Scoop your nuts and get your cone wrenches. I wanna say the cone's a 14 and the locknut's a 17, but confirm this. Start undoing stuff untill the axle pulls out, keeping everything in the same order it came out. KEEPING EVERYTHING IN THE SAME ORDER. If it's nasty, clean and regrease everything. Replace anything worn badly. Reassemble on the solid axle. Centering the axle is not as critical to the millimeter, as with the QR. Snug the cone and locknut together hard on the driveside and make your bearing adjustment on the other side. Not too tight, not too loose. I hear that Park website is good too.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Polandspring88 said:
I just picked up a 10mm bolt on axle for my rear wheel. The hub is an XT and I am not quite sure how to install it. Anyone want to give me a step by step as to how to switch out the stock QR for this new axle?

Where did you buy the axle? How much was it?

Thanks
S

LIPS

Chimp
Jul 19, 2005
Portland
Any good shop in your area should have one. Make sure you get a Cromoly axle they last longer (don't bend as easily). Should be around $12 with outer axle nuts.