Quantcast

Installing a dual crown fork?

Stinky Monkey

Monkey
Sep 2, 2001
The Big Sleazy again!
I have installed a hundred or so threadless forks, but never a dual crown. Any suggestions, tips or hints are welcome. Is there any differences, other than the obvious. Its a 2001 Marzocchi Jr T.
Thanks
Kevin

G

gravity

and make sure the steerer tube is long enough/head tube is short enough as those things are not cheap

Most of the people I know route their cables/housing through the space between the top and bottom crowns. Make sure the cables/housing are running through the correct space and sides before you put the top crown back on. I've been swapping forks for years now and I still have that brain fart once in awhile. Just the other day I had to remove my top crown 3 times because I forgot to route the cables and then I forgot the bumb stops that I had to slide on. :rolleyes:

strakos

Official RM Complainer
Sep 10, 2001
3rd rock from the sun
Ow god, I thought you were talking about me.:o
I always forget these things too.

Originally posted by kuma
Most of the people I know route their cables/housing through the space between the top and bottom crowns. Make sure the cables/housing are running through the correct space and sides before you put the top crown back on. I've been swapping forks for years now and I still have that brain fart once in awhile. Just the other day I had to remove my top crown 3 times because I forgot to route the cables and then I forgot the bumb stops that I had to slide on. :rolleyes:

downhil

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
remember that there are now possibly 3 more bolts to loosen and tighten when you adjust the headset. and id recommend putting a headset spacer b/w the crown and the top of the headset.

strakos

Official RM Complainer
Sep 10, 2001
3rd rock from the sun
Originally posted by downhil
remember that there are now possibly 3 more bolts to loosen and tighten when you adjust the headset. and id recommend putting a headset spacer b/w the crown and the top of the headset.
I didn´t knew about that, is there any special reason?

downhil

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Originally posted by strakos

I didn´t knew about that, is there any special reason?
it just seems to allow the headset to take adjustments alot easier. dont know why, just what ive experienced on my bikes