Quantcast

installing cranks

stinkyboy58

Chimp
Feb 2, 2006
CA
hey guys i am getting some diablolous cranks and was wondering how to install them. I have the instructions on the raceface website but i am just making sure with you guys. Correct me if i am wrong but heres how i think how to do it. basically, First install the bottom braket then slide the crank it then tighten it. I know theres more details with washers ans stuff but is that basicly it?

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Basically yes, BB first then cranks. ;)

If this is an old frame I suggest cleaning out the BB threads like it's your job to do so. One little grain of sand caught in a thread can futz up a BB.

My experience with RF X-Type cranks has been trial and error. I set them up by the instructions first and see if that works. Then decide if more or less spacers are needed to adjust the chainline. Throwing in a chainguide would add another whole set of variables. Just be patient and don't be in a hurry. You may have to take it apart several times to get it "just right." Get a bending beam type torque wrench to do it right you should find a 250ft/lb one for about $25.

Mike