Quantcast

Installing the pedals

davidhill

blumpkin catcher
Jan 29, 2007
Greenville, SC
Quick n00b question:
When putting together my bike for the first time, how should I properly install the pedals?
Use Loc-Tite? Torque spec?

:imstupid:

haha.. thanks

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
no loctite, just grease. if your pedals have been coming loose, tighten more or check the threads.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
You can probably find torque specs by checking with the crank manufacturer. Generally speaking people tend to overtighten pedals. Pedal wrenches are long and burly to make it easier to get pedals OFF, not because you need to crank them down so much when putting them on.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
You can probably find torque specs by checking with the crank manufacturer. Generally speaking people tend to overtighten pedals. Pedal wrenches are long and burly to make it easier to get pedals OFF, not because you need to crank them down so much when putting them on.
...however you can easily ruin a nice set of cranks by not tightening them enough. One comes unthreaded a good amount and you stand on it...PLINK! There goes your threads.

89vert

Chimp
Feb 19, 2007
Vancouver
Don't use grease , use anti-seize compound . It'll last a lot longer than grease and protect the threads way better ...

renorider40

Monkey
Aug 22, 2005
Oh and i'm probably way more of a newb but don't forget that one side is reverse threaded. That one got me.

RacerX100

Chimp
Feb 14, 2007
Huntersville, NC
Oh and i'm probably way more of a newb but don't forget that one side is reverse threaded. That one got me.
Here is a good tip btw:

Hold your pedal up in front of you. If the threads are diagonal up towards the right, the pedal goes on the right side of the bike. If the threads are diagonal up towards the left, the pedal goes on the left side of the bike. You would be surprised how many people don't notice this so it's worth mentioning.

FBTMILF

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Colorado
I usually just use a bit of grease or whatever is already in the crank. Just get them tight enough that you can't turn it anymore. Don't make it too tight cause you will never get them out.