Quantcast

Intense 29er DH bike

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Pics of you riding a bike. ;)
hmm, wow, didn't know you cared...

I don't have any pics, but you can ask THE pat branch ;) , he took a pic of me doing runs in tahoe once, or joe lawwill followed me down chiquita trail with gopro few weeks ago, ask him. Or ask the Parkins, Fraser...dunno who else, but I get my shred on pretty good.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
I got a little excited to see a new 29er fork but I think he is on the M9.
At least we know now he went down the trail once

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Just dont break it. We all know how fragile the wheels are.
Not sure how tall and heavy you are but the bike was built for my 6'5" 230lbs
dh 29'ers make perfect sense for guys of your stature. i could totally see someone like peatty rock one full time. 26ers look like toys under big guys.

and i love the purple anno. the 90's were awesome.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
dh 29'ers make perfect sense for guys of your stature. i could totally see someone like peatty rock one full time. 26ers look like toys under big guys.

and i love the purple anno. the 90's were awesome.
Purple rocks. That is why my M9 is chrome purple. We call it Grimace

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
siko, that bike was an M9 proto, with a monocoque rear end!

I been trying to get Marz to proceed with a 29er fork, but I'd imagine they are tired of me asking for it.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
^^^Weird. You posted this hours ago and there isn't any 29er hate yet. Uh oh. The haters might eventually become nut huggers once more pros get on those bikes.

ok i'll bite...:D

i still think 29er DH is a solution in search of a problem. arguments for it's use in XC riding/racing has it's valid points, but i think DH is enough of a different animal to make 29er use much less appealing.

interesting concept but doubtful of its viability for widespread DH applications, nor do i support it.

at my most superficial but strongest bias against 29ers, my perception is that it was introduced by "dirt-roadies" to make mountain bikes alittle more like road bikes. what draws me to mountain biking (particularly gravity orientated disciplines) is that the culture, riding style, technology is everything that ghey road riding is not.

there i said it, i think road riding/racing is boring and ghey.
sorry if i offended anyone. i guess i'll be seeing some neg rep.

Last edited:

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
I'm always suprised at the amount of cultural baggage that people like to hang onto a wheel, which at the end of the day, is just 3" larger in diameter than the current standard mountain bike wheel. I guess I just don't understand how a wheel that will potentially allow a rider to hit gnarlier stuff faster makes the sport more like road biking. To my knowledge there isn't a single bike component out there that changes a rider's personality, so why would a different size wheel do that? If you put 29" wheels on your bike would you be concerned that you'd suddenly start acting like someone who engages in "ghey road riding"? I guess I'm just confused.

As far as the idea of the big wheels being a "solution in search of a problem", I think of it more as a proposed way to improve performance. I bet there were some people in the 90s that felt that MTB suspension was a solution in search of a problem as well. We don't yet know if it's applicable across a wide variety of terrain/race course types because we don't have all the componentry yet to make a full on dh race worthy 29" rig. I'm not saying it definitely will be an improvement or it won't, I'm just saying nobody knows yet.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
^ how dare you come here with an objective & rational perspective?

the cultural baggage attachment to material stuff is an interesting phenomenon for sure. people seem to want to identify with particular subcategories. the distain for fellow bikers of different subcategories is just weird to me. smacks of insecurity. me, i like bikes of all shapes & uses. diversity is fun.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
To my knowledge there isn't a single bike component out there that changes a rider's personality, so why would a different size wheel do that?
Oh yeah it does! It is normal that when you get a new part you are in love with the performance and swear you would never ride anything else. That wears off after a while and people become 'normal' again. Happened when full suspension hit (way back, remember?). A bunch of friends claimed that they never would ride rigid again. But now nearly all of them have a full rigid hardtail single speed that they play on in the winter/mud. Few people switching to 29ers stay that open minded towards other wheel sizes. They get rid of one cultural baggage and load up on another one....and defend it religiously! There must be some kind of personality transformation going on, or how would you explain that? I think the open-mindness you are asking for has to go both ways.

And now, can we please get some facts e.g. freelap data comparing 29 vs 26 from the same rider, same day, same track? Stik, why not send JD to the 1:04 with a 2951 and a 951?

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
i still think 29er DH is a solution in search of a problem. arguments for it's use in XC riding/racing has it's valid points, but i think DH is enough of a different animal to make 29er use much less appealing.
Why do DH bikes have more suspension travel and slacker angles than XC bikes? Why do DH bikes constantly tweak suspension geometry and shock settings? How many times do you hear about square edge bump performance? All of those things are to allow riders to go faster over rough terrain. A 29" wheel rolls over obstacles and square edges better than a 26" wheel and has a larger contact patch that yields more grip; these are facts not opinions. Therefore it only makes sense that the next evolution of DH bikes in search of more speed in rough terrain is to use 29" wheels.

I'm not sure what that has to do with road bikes or road racing or road culture, but I don't enjoy any road related stuff either. I do however have a 29er SS rigid MTB for winter trail riding.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
craig who was the rider? JD? and what trail?

Id love to try a 29er and see what it does. Open minds people, dont be so quick to shoot something down.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
I do not think 29er DH bikes will be the wave of the future, in fact I'm not a huge fan at all except in fully ridge form. The 29er DH bikes are part of the quest for better parts/bikes. Even bad ideas are responsible for newer better ideas to come to fruition. Also the statement “Why do DH bikes constantly tweak suspension geometry and shock settings?” Answer: That's the changes that push our sport. The rider pushes the industry to make changes some are good some are not so good. This is hardly a reason to change a wheel standard. Look at motocross the bikes change geometry almost every year. Just because I “don’t like” the 29er doesn't mean I don’t want to try riding one, or people should stop making new versions.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
A rational and fair thing to note about 29ers or any other wheelsize is it will be faster/better suited in some conditions and slower/worse in others by virtue of the geometry possible and the characteristics of the wheels themselves - that will never change. Of course there will be DH trails or sections where 29ers make sense just as some people still ride 24s on some DH trails and 20s have their places in other types of riding - there is a right and wrong place for certain tools.

Few people can afford to change their bike setup to suit the course in regards to wheelsize and unless most DH trails are designed or best suited to 29ers, it doesn't matter to the average rider that there a few situation where a 29er would be a good option especially at the premium for 29er parts. Its another trend bike companies push to move product and I can understand after having so many shoved on the market, trend after trend, why people don't like yet another one. It should be presented honestly rather than trying to sell it as something more that.

Last edited: