Quantcast

Intense 5.5 review

E-Man

Chimp
Jun 26, 2002
Orange County, CA
Wow! This bike is incredible!

After bringing the new frame home Thursday evening, I finally was able to complete the build late last night, and took her out for our honeymoon ride this morning.

Here’s a review on how the bike preformed in three different areas. First part of the ride was a reasonably flat fire road. With Manitou SPV equipped suspension on both sides on the bike, riding seated on smooth fire roads feels like you have very little suspension due to the SPV's pedaling platform. However, the suspension is constantly working underneath you absorbing the slightest bump without thought or hesitation. When you’re “just riding along”, the bike pretty much sits solid at your static sag position.

Second part of today’s ride – a technical climb. This is the only full suspension bike that I’ve ever ridden where – at will - I could shift to my middle ring, get out of the saddle, and power through technical switchbacks without the bike feeling like a pogo stick. Climbing seated is effortless, and climbing while standing is phenomenal! While climbing, I would have NEVER guessed that I was riding a bike with 5” up front and 5.5” in the rear. This bike climbs much, much better than my SLX, and even better than my old i-Drive. Very impressed to say the least.

The end of today’s ride led us to about a mile of fast downhill switchbacks. The geometry of the frame (70deg HT and 13.25" BB height) combined with the Minute Two fork, leads to an extremely confidence-inspiring descender. The suspension soaked up every little imperfection in the terrain and actually felt like it had more travel then my 7” SLX. This bike descends like it's on rails! It’s simply amazing to believe that a bike with such supple suspension is the same bike that I was climbing while standing (in middle ring) just an hour earlier.

Intense really nailed this one on the head. This might just be the perfect trail bike……..

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Nice review E-man,

I have a blur and I totally agree that the best thing about VPP is the off the saddle , big gear mashing climbing performance.

The 5.5 is a very pimping machine!

Let us know when you spend more time on it.

Neko Bass

Chimp
Mar 23, 2004
Portland, Oregon
Greetings E-man,

Any long term observations for your minute 2 fork? I am thinking of adding one to my Jeckyl.

The black I'm currently using is too flexy. I've also considered a Sherman, but the weight!

Neko

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Originally posted by gorgechris
Size medium? Lemme know when you want to unload it, OK?

Yeah, I've been dreaming about that bike. My bank account says otherwise, though.
Patience is a virtue, i've never been a fan of paying for a name.... i test rode this bike and it is a dream but i'm gonna wait for Santa Cruz's less expensive, and probably better built reply.....

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
Originally posted by Skookum
Patience is a virtue, i've never been a fan of paying for a name.... i test rode this bike and it is a dream but i'm gonna wait for Santa Cruz's less expensive, and probably better built reply.....
No doubt about that. Way less expensive. Damn, gotta' go, I'm starting to drool again thinking about it....